HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The Wildcat
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The Wildcat
Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 07, 2010 09:05AM

I have watched quite a few bowl games and I would say better than 85% of the games feature one or both team running at least 1 wild cat play and the commentators calling it the wild cat. Now throw into the mix that 28 our of 32 professional NFL teams have a wild cat package (All of this in under 2 years). This concept has caught on like wild fire, so all this said for the life of me I still cannot understand how our own fans can hate the wildcat so when you have other team fans wishing they could run it like us...

The AFC this year is very weak and no question that any team could have made it to the superbowl, that includes bubble teams like us, titans, broncos, steelers. No real dominant team in the AFC. That being said I strongly believe that if we still had mr. wildcat (ronnie brown) we would be talking about if we could go to new england or cinci and get a win. Instead we can talk about ohhh look henne is not hindered by the wild cat anymore, give me a break 7-9 aint going to cut it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Wildcat
Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: January 07, 2010 09:38AM

thumbs up

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 07, 2010 11:38AM

The JETS and their coach called it a "gimmick" offense and a joke after we beat them the first time in September.

Now that they have figured out Brad Smith runs the WILDCAT well.....they run it all the time.

Talk about a bunch of hypocrites!!

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 07, 2010 12:13PM

I hope that we r thru w/ the wildcat. The Ravens showed us last year that once you prepare for it you can easily shut it down. I thought the greatest benefit was that teams had to take so much of their practice time preparing for it. That left holes in their D where you could attack them. Once Ronnie got injured there is no one else to run it. Pat White shows the danger in drafting high to support the wildcat offense. Time to let it imho.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 07, 2010 02:57PM

I don't have a problem with the Wildcat itself. I am sure it has helped us. last year it helped us win the division. That said; however, there are times that they brought Pat White in when Henne was on a roll. That is a mistake IMO.

Change of pace? sure. getting a spark? ok. improving the running game and controlling the clock? Fine. but when a QB completes 3 of 4 passes to get you down to the 12 yard line? Run PA, bootlegs, shotgun, but leave the hot hand in.

as for White? i still think he will establish value and a role for himself. NFL game speed is different than college. He needs to mature, bulk up, learn the system, techniques and needs to be used in a multi-faceted role. WR, RB, QB.

one thing they didn't try was to have him being the sweep man.

Oh here's one. Imagine Ronnie brown taking the direct snap, and Pat White and Ricky Williams both coming across; Pat in front of Ronnie and Ricky behind. Ronnie can a)fake the hand-off and run b) hand-off to White who then runs with Ricky as an option c) fake hand-off and toss to Ricky with White picking up the Safety. ( lots-o-fun) I'm only half serious with that one. I'ld have to experiment with real bodies :-)

But, once Henne (or Thigpen) is an established, polished starter...the Wildcat can still deliver a vital blow even with converting 3rd downs and chewing up the clock.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 07, 2010 03:55PM

You can't have two men in motion, can you?

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 07, 2010 04:35PM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can't have two men in motion, can you?

no. only 1 person can be in motion

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 07, 2010 04:55PM

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 08, 2010 04:56AM

Then THIS is probably what Realist meant;
Ronnie lines up for the direct snap. White comes in motion and resets in front of Ronnie with his back to the LOS. Ricky comes in motion.
Ronnie takes the snap and reads the safeties, his options are, 1. Run the ball. 2. hand off to Ricky. 3. Hand off to White for the pass and, with Ricky, block for him.

Date: January 08, 2010 09:09AM

ah!!!!! yes, I am Canadian. We can have multiple guys in motion.

Date: January 08, 2010 09:40AM

thanks for the benefit of the doubt...I messed up. I forgot only 1 guy in motion in the NFL. IN CFL the 5 guys on OL can't move everyoe else can run around as long as the two guys who are also 'ON' the LOS stay on the LOS they can also move laterally.

brain fart by me.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 08, 2010 07:10PM

You said: "No real dominant team in the AFC." What?!?! I think the Colts are pretty dominant right now.

Rick

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 09, 2010 06:35AM

The Colts should have had 4-5 losses. They were very lucky and fortunate on *SEVERAL* occasions to win.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.