HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          New WR?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
New WR?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 28, 2009 12:02PM

I heard some rumblings several weeks ago that the Lions might be interested in trading off Calvin Johnson this offseason. I don't know a lot about this guy, but I have heard some good things, and his 6'5", 236 lb. 24 year-old body seem to fit Parcells's requirements. The guy has size and speed, and if we get a chance at him it would seem we've got to take it if the price isn't too steep. Is this a viable option? With a talented young QB, why would they get rid of Johnson if he's as good as I've been told? The Stafford guy needs targets. So, what do I not know? What am I missing?

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New WR?
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: December 28, 2009 12:10PM

If they trade him the few fans they have left will stop going to games

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: December 28, 2009 12:11PM

Don't bother speculating on this one. It was shot down and shot down hard.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 28, 2009 12:13PM

What are you missing?

Ok, this is what you are missing..... that will never happen. They drafted Matthew Stafford to match him up with Johnson for the next 12 years....not to trade Johnson away after the first.

Would be nice, but its all a dream, man.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: December 28, 2009 12:58PM

Not a dream, just speculation. I would be flabbergasted if it happened, it doesn't make much sense, but that is what I heard. By the way, who shot it down, and when? I hadn't heard about that.

Rick

Date: December 28, 2009 01:01PM

I think Anquan Boldin is a real possibility for Miami. I even think if you wanna take the risk and roll the dice on a one-time drug offender (per NFL rules)in Dwayne Bowe he may be available. But he's one failed drug test away from a year suspension.

I mean if you want Boldin though you are gonna have to part with a 1st round pick minimum. No two ways about it. You can thank Jerry Jones for giving a 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams for setting that price tag.

2010 will be uncapped, so no real free agents on the market worth adding that will improve anything. It's gonna have to be via trade.

Posted by: clovis phinatic ()
Date: December 28, 2009 01:09PM

I think our best shot is Bowe, because of parcells connections in KC. I would love to have Bowe and I am sure so would Henne! If we get anyone from Arizona it should be Breaston I am sure Henne would like that as well.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 29, 2009 10:28AM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 29, 2009 06:22PM

With the problems in the Detroit economy, why don't they just trade him for cash or, better yet, ask the federal government to buy the Lions instead. Then they'll lose every game every year for sure!

Date: December 30, 2009 05:09AM

Dont get me started on politics!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 30, 2009 06:22AM

With FA being a relative unknown, draft picks become even more important than they already were for building a team. For Calvin Johnson, I would give up a nice draft pick, but not the 1st, 3rd and 6th the 'boys gave up for Williams.

I feel like I'm going out on a very short limb considering the likelihood of this ever coming to fruition, but I would give them our 2010 first for him in a heartbeat. I don't think any receiver of his proven talent would be available to us in the draft. I would even throw in Camarillo so that they'd have a dependable WR option. The one thing I wouldn't do is make Ginn part of the trade. I have been utterly disappointed by him so many times, but I'm literally salivating at the prospect of seeing what he might do if the D is forced to focus on someone like Calvin Johnson. That TD last Sunday and the one against the Jets...something no one else on our roster can do.

Date: January 02, 2010 07:32AM

I just want to vomit at the thought of us getting someone like johnson to give Ginn more chances to drop balls. Now if he learns how to hold on to the ball this offseason that would change everything!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 02, 2010 07:41AM

I agree. If we get Johnson, Ginn will have to go. I'd like to see Johnson and Hartline as starters, Bess in the slot, and (old reliable) Camarillo on 3rd downs.

Date: January 04, 2010 10:07AM

If we get a new #1 WR I hope we do it soon and dont wait until the last week of pre-season. Get him now. Hint Hint D Bowe!

Date: January 04, 2010 10:34AM

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 04, 2010 11:00AM

Here is a novel idea, why dont we draft a quality recievers like great teams like the colts and steelers do and build through the draft rather than wasting money on over hyped free agents...

Date: January 04, 2010 11:53AM

Because that novel idea may include getting a Jamarcus Russell type. How would you feel about that. Bowe outside of the team he is on is a big, great WR and we need to get him before him and Cassle get to know eachother and he gets really $$$$.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 04, 2010 11:55AM

But what Reppa is saying is true. The great teams have done the research and built their franchises through the draft....not a guy playing hard for 1 season during a "contract year" then never playing hard again.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: January 04, 2010 12:51PM

For example I am a huge joey porter fan but he cost like 20mill with 12 up front. We have wake for cheap and he could have done a similar job. We may have lost our intimidation factor and all things remaining the same (age inparticular) I would pick porter but they are not the same and we could have made out with wake and saved millions if we scouted properly.

As far as our receiving core we are one reciever away. If Dez were to slip to us we could be set... (Probably a pipe dream but anything is possible if san fran got crabtree)

Even with out him when I think that there are 120 college teams that all play about 3 recievers... That is over 400 WR prospects and you are telling me that you would rather pay millions for a guy that you hope will continue to produce rather than doing your scouting job and finding a star that can produce for you for the next decade?

Date: January 04, 2010 12:52PM

clovis phinatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because that novel idea may include getting a
> Jamarcus Russell type...

Even I would not have drafted russell, i believe that his senior year at LSU he was either benched or on the verge of being benched and to think that one good proformace in a conference championship game would then volt him to #1 is rediculous.

Date: January 04, 2010 07:09PM

Boldin is hurt and will probably miss the playoff game. This guy is always hurt. Which is why I wouldn't give up too much to get him

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 05, 2010 05:51AM

Date: January 05, 2010 09:19AM

that was before this NEW injury. I mean at some point all these injuries add up and this one might be the straw the broke the camels back if he is now missing playoff games.

Timing is everything!! A trade i might have made a few days ago I might not make now. Nature of the beast

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 05, 2010 11:53AM

Date: January 05, 2010 12:26PM

Re: New WR?.....might be a FORMER Diva
Posted by: cahokietim ()
Date: January 05, 2010 02:32PM

Re: New WR?.....might be a FORMER Diva
Date: January 05, 2010 03:23PM

there are no diva-type WR's on the market in an uncapped year. Tough for Miami to sign one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.