HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Hate the Colts' Decision?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Hate the Colts' Decision?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 28, 2009 10:40AM

Poll
Would you choose option A or B
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
8 votes were received.
Take away the perfect REGULAR SEASON record just ASSURE ME the SuperBowl ring. 4

50%
I'm willing to take my chances with the playoffs as long as I can be assured of the perfect regular season record and a CHANCE to go perfect ALL THE WAY. 4

50%

Put your money where your mouth is.

If God reversed time, took you back to 1972, and offered you the following options:

A) I now change the 72 Dolphins regular season record from 14-0 to 8-6 BUT I GUARANTEE YOU THE SAME SUPERBOWL WIN OVER THE REDSKINS or

cool smiley I guarantee you the regular season record of 14-0 but you'll have to take your chances with the playoffs.

Which would you choose?

I would choose option A in a heartbeat.

If you agree with me then maybe you ought to get off the Colts' back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hate the Colts' Decision?
Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 28, 2009 11:09AM

Chryren you need to add a thrid option to capture most people's sentiment.

1. Both go for the perfect season and the SB

2. Perfect reg season isn't the whole banana anyway

3. Why do people think they are mutually exclusive?

- Resting Manning who was not even remotely hurt was well, weak and playing scared.

- The look on his disgusted face said it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2009 11:09AM by Phinjim.

Date: December 28, 2009 12:27PM

Posted by: angryseas ()
Date: December 28, 2009 12:34PM

you really find the 07 pats a joke?...hate to say it but i would trade any season we've had since ive been a fan with that

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 28, 2009 12:34PM

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER break the momentum of winning. The Colts did this before and lost in the playoffs.

I think it will happen again.

Always go for the win!!

I can see pulling starters out when the game is in hand. Never when the game is close. Injuries happen and back-ups need to step up when it does. Great teams do this. The Colts made themselves average losing to the Jets.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 28, 2009 12:35PM

Date: December 28, 2009 12:36PM

and if you don't know how it's done, I'll tell you.

You take a couple of shots at the QB's knees.

You play with a general roughness that shows you are more interested in hitting hard than making the play.

Polian got the signal.

Pull everybody out and let's mail it in.

(And for you who want to make a comeback and say why don't they do it in the playoffs, it doesn't work in the playoffs because that's where you're fighting to get and if they do it to you, you can do it back to them.)

But hey, We're the Indy Colts. What the hell do we care if the Jets make the playoffs or not? Let's keep our boys from getting injured.

Date: December 28, 2009 12:37PM

think you were answering my post a&o...so you would rather go 8-8,1-15,12-4 and ou tin the first round then what the pats did?...really??

Date: December 28, 2009 12:40PM

Date: December 28, 2009 12:41PM

I dont care if you lose 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or how ever many games. If you dont win the Superbowel, nothing matters.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: December 28, 2009 12:52PM

well certainly i would take the giant season over thiers no doubt but just as a fan that would have been a fun ride to enjoy...yes followed by the ultimate let down but still a fun season to be a fan...all or or nothing is a good attitude if you are a player but as afan there is a big differnce between the last 2 years and 07 for us and had we made the playoffs and made a little noise i would have been satisfied but diffrent strokes i guess

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 28, 2009 03:07PM

Posted by: SouthFlPhinFan ()
Date: December 28, 2009 03:44PM

Hey quick without looking it up, who won the 1982 Super Bowl??? Quick off the top of your head???? Ok some of you may have got the answer, but most had to think or look it up... Now another question for ya,... Quick don't look it up right off the top of your head... Who has the only undefeated season in the NFL????? Think if you are on this site you know that answer.... So my point is, you have one chance to be the best one chance for perfection one chance for excellence you take that chance... Do you think the Colts trained all Summer to throw that chance away????

Date: December 29, 2009 08:05AM

The Redskins, I think. Swear, didnt look either. But again, I could be wrong cuz its just a guess.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: December 29, 2009 08:24AM

Of course, South...a perfect season INCLUDING A SUPERBOWL WIN would be chosen by everyone instead of a SuperBowl win in a season wherein you had regular losses.

That goes without saying.

But the point is, how much do you strive for the perfect season at the risk of not winning the SuperBowl.

The 2007 Pats provide an excellent example.

They so went out to beat the New York Giants on the last game of the regular season that they showed the Giants all they had.

The Giants came away from that game saying "We can beat these guys."

They had no tricks left.

I'll bet my dollar against your dime if you polled all of those PATS players and asked them "Would you trade that regular season 16-0 for a 15-1 and a SuperBowl win?" You'd get few who would not make that deal.

Again, the question is not whether you would take a perfect season PLUS a SuperBowl Win. Who wouldn't. Don't be silly. The question is would you take a sure bet SuperBowl Championship in an un-perfect season or take the perfect season and be willing to roll the dice on the SuperBowl.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 29, 2009 08:59AM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: December 29, 2009 09:18AM

yes! Take a title now over an old record anyday. I mean damn near all of Marino's records were shattered and we all got over it didn't we?!!!

The perfect season thing is overrated, and if the Colts go 18-1 this year, everyone will still consider them in the class as the 72" Fins because EVERYONE IN AMERICA knows deep down inside they laid down for the Jets and didn't try to win a game that they were leading and had won. So there will be an astrik next to the Colts season IF they do go 18-1 beacuse anyone with a brain knows they while "technically" weren't perfect, they were perfect this year.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 29, 2009 09:28AM

Date: December 29, 2009 10:32AM

Date: December 29, 2009 10:35AM

Date: December 29, 2009 10:54AM

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 29, 2009 10:54AM

The Colts just might blow their season by resting starters. As Phinsfan pointed out, there is no guarantee of anything and while it might seem like a good idea to prevent injury, momentum is lost.

Don't forget that the Colts have done this is the past and lost in the playoffs.

I say that the best way is to keep doing what you've been doing. Of coarse pull players once the game is in hand.

Date: December 29, 2009 10:58AM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 29, 2009 06:03PM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> The perfect season thing is overrated,

sez you!

>if the
> Colts go 18-1 this year, everyone will still
> consider them in the class as the 72" Fins because
> EVERYONE IN AMERICA knows deep down inside they
> laid down for the Jets and didn't try to win a
> game that they were leading and had won.

NOPE! I disagree, and I'm in America. Losing by passivity is still losing. There's a theory out there that says the Colts were AFRAID to carry the perfect regular season record into the playoffs, for fear that the extra pressure would hurt their psyche. Honestly I wish I remember whose radio program I heard this on; it may have even been a caller to a talk show, but it was an interesting thought.

Whatever the reason---resting starters, bad referee call, convict on a snow plow--a Loss is a Loss, and everybody in America and the World should face that fact.

So there
> will be an astrik next to the Colts season IF they
> do go 18-1 beacuse anyone with a brain knows they
> while "technically" weren't perfect, they were
> perfect this year.

Contradict yourself and channel Yogi Berra much? While they weren't perfect, they were perfect. Huh? No, they were afraid to fight to achieve perfection, so....they wouldn't be perfect if they go 18 wins and one LOSS. Sorry.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 29, 2009 06:43PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
>
> Larry Seiple was a Dolphin punter. ......

And so much more! He also was a backup receiver, albeit seldomly used. Old #20. Loved that guy.

>
> We had been winning the entire game but the
> Steelers crept back into the game and HAD ALL THE
> MOMENTUM.
>
> We had failed to convert on 3rd and about 10 and
> had to punt the ball back to the Steelers late in
> the game. Everyone knew the Steelers were going
> to score and win the game.
>

I'm pretty sure this play happened late in the first HALF. and that we WEREN'T winning when this historic play took place.
This was the game where Earl Morrall started but couldn't produce any points until Larry's awesome fake punt put them at first and goal. I will never forget Seiple's play because I distinctly remember jumping up and down so much in front of the TV I was worried my head would go through the ceiling.

After the fake punt we tied the score (this part I had to look up). At halftime, Shula made the decision to let the newly-recovered-from-his-injury-early-in-the-season Bob Griese start the second half. Of course, it turned out to be the right decision.

Date: December 29, 2009 08:05PM

Whadda ya expect? I'm an old man with Alzheimers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.