HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Are You a Gambler Poll
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Are You a Gambler Poll
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 22, 2009 09:52AM

Poll
New England or the Jags
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
10 votes were received.
I'm willing to Risk that Houston will beat NE 6

60%
I'll stick with the Safe bet and root for the Jags to Lose 4

40%

Would you root for New England to beat the Jags, the safe bet, and then vastly increase our wildcard chances.......

or

Root for the Jags to beat New England and then have to hope Houston pulls the miracle upset and beats New England giving us the Division championship.

I must confess that for me this is a tough one. But I am less of a gambler by nature and kind of.....only slightly, lean toward going with the safe bet that New England beats the Jags.

Unlike the prior games, this does not pit the legacy vs. current playoff chances, or how much you like Manning, or how much you want to see a perfect season.

Its a Rohrschach test on your gambling nature and nerves (well maybe hate for the Pats can be a side motive), so here it goes

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are You a Gambler Poll
Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: December 22, 2009 11:37AM

The sad thing is if we would have beaten the titans this game wouldhave been a win win situation, a jags win means we are in AFC east lead and a pats win means one less team posing a tie.

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: December 22, 2009 03:42PM

Date: December 22, 2009 04:59PM

First, Pats would win the East if they beat Houston. Better record at 10-6 over our 9-7.

Will try to answer the rest next.

Date: December 22, 2009 05:51PM

RAZORGHOST wrote:

Just ASSUMING this happens which is very likely

Jacksonville beats New.E
8-7 heading into Clev

Denver loses to Philly
8-7 going into K.C

Balt beats Pitt
9-7 heading into Oak

Tenn loses to S.D OUT
N.Y.J loses to Indy or Cinncy OUT
Houston loses to Mia OUT
Pitt loses to Mia OUT

What happens if Balt gets the last wildcard and there is a 3-way tie between Den/Jack/Mia??

or what if Balt loses to either Pitt or Oak and ends up 9-7 say all 4 teams end up at 9-7 THEN WHAT???

Or even more crazy say Indy and the Bengals rest players and the Jets finish 9-7 what happens in a 5 way tie?

In a wild card scenario, with all of the teams at 7 losses, you break ties within the Division and consider each Division's rep.

We would be the East Rep having beaten the Jets twice.

You have by your hypothetical eliminated Pitt from Baltimore's division so Baltimore is the second qualifier

Assuming Den loses to Philly, they would be the West Rep.

Under your scenario only Jax would be left from their division.

Thus the four teams are Miami, Jax, Balt and Denver.

The first rule is to let in any team that has beaten all others or eliminate any one that has lost to all others. Since Miami and Denver have not played this tiebreaker does not apply.

The next tiebreaker is common games, a minimum of four. I doubt that applies because I can't see four teams on Balt, or Denv schedule that Miami has played.

The next tiebreaker is strength of victory which means what was the combined record of the teams you BEAT (not played). I have done a rough calculation of the worst case scenario for the Dolphins.

My only rule was that the above victory scenarios by all teams would happen.

All teams would have a 144 game record.

I am assuming you count the won lost record of the teams you beat and if you played them twice, you count that record twice.

If I am right then Denver takes the first wild card spot with a record of 76-68 by the teams it beat.

However, Jax would take the second spot with a 65-79 record. We would take the third wild card spot with a record by the teams we beat of 60-84, whereas the teams that Balt. beat would only have a record of 54-90.

So, seriously every body ought to think hard before you root against New England this Sunday.

Jax would go, even though we beat them.

So the dilemma is, do we root for New England and thereby greatly enhance our wildcard possibilities.

Or do we roll the dice and Hope they lose (but they also have to lose to Houston for us to win the division).

Date: December 22, 2009 05:56PM

There is no third wild card spot. I converted this post from one wherein I had said that in a three way between Miami, Balt and Denver we would take the second spot. I forgot to change the words take the spot.

If you throw in Jax, they take second and we lose out since we would only have the third best record.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 23, 2009 06:05AM

Let's just root for Miami to win this week!!smileys with beer

Posted by: Wild_Cat_Miles ()
Date: December 24, 2009 04:27AM

fo sho im a gambler bruh....about to grab some scratchers at 7-11 on federal hwy then hit up the hard rock and dania jai alai...gamblin through the recession ya know?

Holla at me on Twitter...twitter.com/WildCatMiles

Broward County what what...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.