HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          New England vs. Jags - It's Complicated
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
New England vs. Jags - It's Complicated
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 20, 2009 10:28PM

In the words of that new movie.

I was surprised to see we are not out of the division race yet.

They are 9-5 and we are 7-7.

If they lose to both the Jags and Houst. They would be 9-7
and if we beat Pitt and Houst, we would be 9-7.

We both are 4-2 in the division but they are 6-4 in the conference and we are 5-5.

However if it worked out as above, we would be 7-5 and they would be 6-6 and we would win the division.

What's complicated, our wildcard chances are enhanced by New England beating at least the Jags and handing them 8 losses. We would beat Houston handing them 8 losses and hopefully Pitt would be Balt. handing them 8 losses and we would beat Pitt handing Pitt 8 losses.

Under NFL rules that whole division would be eliminated from the wild card hunt.

In a wild card scenario, with all of the teams at 7 losses, you break ties within the Division and consider each Division's rep.

We would be the East Rep having beaten the Jets twice.

There would be no rep from that Division because they would all have 8 losses.

Assuming Den loses to Philly (who is one game ahead of Dallas for the division title, it would be Miami, Denver(unless Denv. also loses to KC) and Balt (unless Balt also loses to Oak).

All would be at 7-5 in the conference, the next tiebreaker would be common games if a minimum of four. I doubt that applies.

The last tiebreaker would be strength of victories. I have done a rough calculation of the worst case scenario for the Dolphins.

My only rule was that the above victory scenarios by all teams would happen.

All teams would have a 144 game record.

I am assuming you count the won lost record of the teams you beat and if you played them twice, you count that record twice.

If I am right then Denver takes the first wild card spot with a record of 76-68 by the teams it beat.

However, we would take the second wild card spot with a record by the teams we beat of 60-84, whereas the teams that Balt. beat would only have a record of 54-90.

So the dilemma is, do we root for New England and thereby greatly enhance our wildcard possibilities.

Or do we roll the dice and Hope they lose (but they also have to lose to Houston for us to win the division).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New England vs. Jags - It's Complicated
Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: December 21, 2009 02:59AM

drinking smiley NE goes 0-2 thumbs up drinking smiley

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: December 21, 2009 09:43AM

geezzz the afc this year is crazy... confused smiley

Posted by: angryseas ()
Date: December 21, 2009 10:47AM

think we have a better shot at knocking denver out...not that we realistically do but if the impossible happens think it will be them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.