HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Rookie Toast
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rookie Toast
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 13, 2009 10:12AM

I don't know if anybody's noticed it, but even though Sean Smith is "going to be good", right now he SUCKS. If he doesn't get help from Gibril Wilson over the top(problematical in itself), he gets beat more often than not. Without a little bit of luck last week, he gives up a huge pass with less than a minute left to the Pats. This week isn't the Patriots receivers, but he still looks lost out there.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rookie Toast
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: December 13, 2009 10:16AM

Smith has been lackluster all season. And at Week 14 you aren't a rookie anymore, so this isn't a good sign

Posted by: JasonGuess ()
Date: December 13, 2009 10:58AM

I disagree with a corner the less you hear his name the better. I dont feel like he has been making that many mistakes

Date: December 13, 2009 11:00AM

Dude I hear Smith's name every week. He is always getting burned.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 13, 2009 11:07AM

I think you guys are crazy. I think SMith has been leaps and bounds better than Davis. The thing is most QB's hardly ever throw Smith's way. Vontae has been picked on all year...and even he is getting better and better.

Just like JasonGuess said, Smith's name is hardly ever been called because QB's rarely throw his way. Last week was the first time he has been burned all year....and it was week 13. Pretty good for a rookie.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: December 13, 2009 11:10AM

Smith has been just fine.....our DBs are rookies and will make mistakes......our o needs to get it together for a complete game this year.

Date: December 13, 2009 11:11AM

Vontae has definately mad the bigger plays, but that obviously because he has more of the opportunity to make them.

Sean Smith has locked down that corner spot since the first day he stepped on the practice field.

---------------------

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: December 13, 2009 11:14AM

both will be just fine.

Posted by: Aria ()
Date: December 13, 2009 12:06PM

What do you guys think about the CBS analysis - the Holt play was Wilson's fault.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 13, 2009 02:24PM

I don't disagree that "both will be just fine"- I think you're right. However its the "now" that worries me. Davis has been the more effective in my opinion. He gets the other team's best receiver week in and week out, Smith gets what's left. Davis is also arguably more instinctive and certainly the more physical of the two. Smith has made some plays, but frequently looks lost out there. Davis gets beat bigger(and so, more noticeably), Smith gets beat MUCH more often. And, yes, I think that big play to Holt was Wilson's fault. We knew he was a much better tackler than cover man when we got him, Smith's inexperience has just exposed him too often this year.

Rick

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 13, 2009 02:48PM

I think Davis is better but the reason A & O is right is because that BIG BOMB was all Gabril Wilson's fault. He was the safety and he bit on the move.

Moreover, he ensured a touchdown rather than a field goal when he interfered on a pass at the one yard line that was too far outside and too hot for the receiver to have possibly caught.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 13, 2009 03:05PM

I think Davis has clearly outplayed Smith over the course of the season. It didn't start out that way, but I don't think it's even close now.

That said, there is still a ton to like about Smith. He was considered something of a developmental prospect. He began his career at Utah playing WR. And then he split time between CB and S. He's come a long way at a difficult position in a very short period of time. He's not a guy who has been playing corner his whole life. To be as good as he is as a rookie is fantastic for us. And combined with Davis, that's even better for us long term.

Date: December 13, 2009 04:21PM

Like I said, as of late you can definately make the argument that Davis has played better (i think due to more opportunities) but through the first 10 games, Sean Smith was better than any DB in our secondary including when Will Allen was healthy.

Either way...we have a lot to be proud of and look forward too. We are definately splitting hairs by debating this, but one thing is for sure.....Madison and Surtain never played as well as either of these guys have in their rookie years. I know that for sure.

That right there my friends should put a *BIG* spinning smiley sticking its tongue out on our faces.

---------------------

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: December 13, 2009 04:43PM

I've been incredibly disappointed with Sean Smith thus far.

A. He does get burned a lot. I don't care if he got the starting spot right out of training camp, Vontae Davis has made more plays, and seems to cover his man better. He has the responsibility of covering the better receivers week in and week out, not Smith.

B. SEAN SMITH ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO TACKLE!!!! It's embarrassing. I see Sean Smith over and over again, getting left in the dust after falling to the turf after the receiver he's covering blows past his lame noodle arm tackles. I've watched him throw his body at the receiver, only to have the guy run right over him. I watch him tackle high sometimes with a grip like one of those arcade machines with the "grabber" that you use to try to pick up stuffed animals with, but it's too weak to pick an object with any weight up.

Parcells and Sparano wanted to get more physical in the secondary by getting young physical corners. They hit a home run with Davis, but Smith seems to get beat each week, usually for big plays, and when he is in a position to make a tackle, he chokes big time. Mel Blount he is not. I thought him being tall would be great for the likes of T.O and Moss in the AFC East, and for covering all tall receivers around the league. Well it's no surprise they put Vontae on them instead, SEAN SMITH CAN'T TACKLE.

Date: December 13, 2009 05:22PM

I cant really think of more than a few times he was beat where it really hurt us big. Could be wrong. The guy is big, real big for a corner. At what 21 or 22, the kid needs to grow into that body. he will be great some day.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 13, 2009 05:25PM

CB is a boom or bust position. They're one of the few positions that is consistently left on an island, one guy covering one guy. It's tough to master, and having a crappy FS isn't helping.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 14, 2009 04:54AM

Whoever said that sean smith was better at this point over dantae davis was dead wrong.....And im not gonna name any names EESTI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 14, 2009 05:04AM

Vontae Davis, but right.

I think the team is a lot better off than they were earlier in the year in getting decent play out of both. Credit also to some better 4th Qtr pass rush and the rotating including Wake.

Date: December 14, 2009 08:09AM

Sam, are you calling him Dantae on "porpoise"!?

---------------------

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 14, 2009 08:28AM

Man talk about the era of "Instant Gratification", some of you people are nuts.....we're starting TWO rookie CB's, they're more then holding their own and some guys are ragging on them? It takes a few years to become very good at any position in the NFL, give em some time.

Date: December 14, 2009 10:52AM

Exactly.

---------------------

Date: December 14, 2009 11:44AM

Vonte is a better player. More polished

Date: December 14, 2009 01:14PM

Screw it how about some love for Nathan Jones lately

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: December 14, 2009 02:02PM

whaaahthumbs down I dont like SEAN SMITH whaaah. thumbs down

NO he is still a ROOKIE and he's going up against #1 WR every week. I think he has done admirably. He has gotten lucky on a few overthrows, even the best DBs get burnt a little bit. geeezzz.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: December 14, 2009 02:55PM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> whaaahthumbs down I dont like SEAN SMITH whaaah. thumbs down
>
> NO he is still a ROOKIE and he's going up against
> #1 WR every week. I think he has done admirably.
> He has gotten lucky on a few overthrows, even the
> best DBs get burnt a little bit. geeezzz.

Agreed with you 100%. Rookies will make rookie mistakes. I think those were two great pics by miami.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 14, 2009 03:17PM

In an over/under coverage the corner is SUPPOSED TO BE under the man taking away the comeback routes and defending the out and underthrown balls. The Safety is supposed to be OVER!! Not beside or under. The SAFETY is responsible for the fade, the deep, the post. He has no business trying to defend the underneath...and he should be guarding the pass before he worries about the QB running.

MANY Times this season the Wilson has blown his duties.

Smith has been beaten in man, and he has made some rookie mistakes...but the Safety mistakes exposed the rookie corners.

You get a legit FS back there and those passes are deflected or picked off...or the QB is throwing a 2 yard checkdown.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 14, 2009 03:44PM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In an over/under coverage the corner is SUPPOSED
> TO BE under the man taking away the comeback
> routes and defending the out and underthrown
> balls. The Safety is supposed to be OVER!! Not
> beside or under. The SAFETY is responsible for the
> fade, the deep, the post. He has no business
> trying to defend the underneath...and he should be
> guarding the pass before he worries about the QB
> running.
>
> MANY Times this season the Wilson has blown his
> duties.
>
> Smith has been beaten in man, and he has made some
> rookie mistakes...but the Safety mistakes exposed
> the rookie corners.
>
> You get a legit FS back there and those passes are
> deflected or picked off...or the QB is throwing a
> 2 yard checkdown.

RESPONSE: Amen, Amen, Amen, a thousand times Amen.

Nobody would listen when I posted the same thing.

That long bomb was Gabril's fault and then the fool actually gave them a first down on the one when they would have had to settle for a field goal by interfering by holding on a pass the receiver would never have caught.

While Ginn loses his position from nerves, lack of confidence, etc., mental problems, Gabril Wilson is downright incompetent and it is grand larceny each times he cashes his paycheck.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: December 14, 2009 03:48PM

is SEAN SMITH the LEGIT FS we're looking for?

2010 Wil Allen is back to 100% and Vontae starting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2009 03:50PM by DaytonaDolfan13.

Date: December 14, 2009 04:14PM

Absolutely!

Did you see Wilson on the sideline after HIS screw-up yelling at Smith?

That was a punk move! he bit on the inside fake and let Holt blow past Smith. HE screwed up and then he blames the rookie?!!?!! ARGH!!!!

I respect Wilson's hitting and motor against the run...but he is a liability on the pass. Clemons needs more reps.

Date: December 14, 2009 04:34PM

I thought they might try that...but ...the Jason Allen experiment probably is a deterrent.

2 great corners is typically valued more than 1 great corner and 1 great safety.

2 lockdown corners uprgades the safety; so once these two youngins dry behind their ears we should see improvement at safety as well....as long as he does his JOB!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.