HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Goodell's an a**
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Goodell's an a**
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 09, 2009 02:40AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Goodell's an a**
Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 09, 2009 05:25AM

Goodell is proving to be a real a**.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 09, 2009 05:37AM

i was just about to post the same thing. what is this dude thinking? his sport is at a crossroads with respect to labor and ownership and the overall direction of the game's viability long-term and he's spending time dumping on a stadium (and city) that has done an amazing job of hosting so many super bowls?!?!

thank goodness the pats stadium doesn't have a rain jacket or every sb for the foreseeable future would be in foxboro. considering that the pats haven't won on the road and have always struggled in MIA, I wonder if that's part of it.

Posted by: joemama ()
Date: December 09, 2009 05:50AM

He's got a point though. Not that the facility is all that bad, but what a garbage place to put a stadium. I know there are plenty of people who don't mind driving out to asphalt hell for football, but to me that stadium stands as the one alarmingly bad decision in Joe Robbie's tenure.

Ironically enough, hosting Super Bowls (the NFL did not like the Orange Bowl anymore) is one reason it was built in the first place.

Date: December 09, 2009 07:34AM

Joe, I think you need to get your history straight. Joe Robbie stadium being built had nothing to do with the Super Bowl. For years Robbie tried to get the City Of Miami to do something with the OB. They would not consider it, so Robbie moved to the present location building his own stadium.
At that time,during the planning, Calder Race Track and a hotel, were the only things there. 27 was a two lane road. There was a housing community across the steet and well out of the way. Pretty good location with easy access north and south. 27 was widened and lots more construction took place.

Now I haven't been there for a long time, but I know that the construction that took place was not good for access to and from the stadium, or so I'm told.

Just a little heads up here. Not Robbie's fault.

South Florida should be the attraction for the SB as it always has been. To throw in the stadium is just plane dumb. No logical reason for it. People will come and they will enjoy what Florida has to offer.
To ask for upgrades right after 250 mill worth was done? You've got to be kidding. It's football baby, people can party elseware as they always have.

Can anyone that has been to the stadium sense renovation make a comment on this? I haven't been there so fill me in please.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: December 09, 2009 08:11AM

The stadium is in a good location. It's right off the turnpike, and in a spot that's reasonable to get to from Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties. It's a good facility with a number of years left in it.

IMO, this is Goodell's way of building up to hosting a SB in London or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2009 08:12AM by (R/J)ay.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 09, 2009 08:30AM

> IMO, this is Goodell's way of building up to hosting a SB in London or something.

Sounds about right.

Date: December 09, 2009 08:48AM

Thanks R/J. Some people have told me it was a pain to get to but I wondered about this as the location always had easy access from both North and South.
One day I will try for myself.

Anyway, screw Goodell.

Posted by: KrK ()
Date: December 09, 2009 09:41AM

Tard. There must be something in the air they pump into Ivory Towers which makes them live in some sort of Dream World where they believe the entire world revolves around them and their Whims.

It's good to be the King, et al. Wonder what the real agenda is....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2009 09:43AM by KrK.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 09, 2009 10:49AM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: December 09, 2009 11:12AM

Goodell wants a ROOF

After the Colts-Bears super bowl a few years back and all the big money folks who are at the game got rained on for 3 hours, it was all but established that Miami wouldn't host another super bowl unless there was a roof. They were already awarded the 2010 Super Bowl so they weren't going to take it back. But ALL Super Bowl venues from here on out will be in cities with a roof (Dallas, Atlanta, Indy, Phoenix, New Orleans...etc)

This is probably the FINAL year any super bowl is played in an outdoor setting.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: December 09, 2009 01:30PM

I liked the part of that article about Detroit.

"If it were held there again, I'd gladly skip it again".

Date: December 09, 2009 02:16PM

Date: December 09, 2009 03:27PM

Unfortunately for Green Bay and Chicago, it means no Superbowls for them, but I'd be so disappointed if those teams got domes. In fact, I'd like to see Minnesota nix their dome and play in the snow again!

Date: December 09, 2009 04:15PM

after this year the next time you see a Super Bowl played outdoors will be in London.

And they are aiming for 2016 or so for that one

Posted by: opus ()
Date: December 09, 2009 05:22PM

The long term goal is to "internationalize" the game. Goddell longs for the connection with the Chinese that the NBA has established, and the Japanese that MLB has.

By the way... Detroit did a hell of a job hosting the Super Bowl, and Ford Field is a great venue, the team just isn't up to par.

Date: December 09, 2009 06:52PM

opus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The long term goal is to "internationalize" the
> game. Goddell longs for the connection with the
> Chinese that the NBA has established, and the
> Japanese that MLB has.
>
I watched a game years ago between a 1 win division 3 football team (William and Mary, I think) and a Japanese team. The US team won like 77-3. It was embarrassing. Yeah, I'm SURE the NFL will go over well in Japan.

Posted by: KrK ()
Date: December 09, 2009 09:30PM

Damn, and to think, Football used to be a game played outside.

I wonder if in the Future a young fan will turn to his Grandpa and say "Grandpa, is it true they used to play football games in the snow?" And Grandpa will say, "Yes, grandson, it's true.... Rain or shine, Hot or cold, windy or calm, the game was played by men."

In the future the games will all be indoors, heated/Air conditioned, no wind. Lame, if you ask me!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 10, 2009 05:10AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> Joe, I think you need to get your history
> straight. Joe Robbie stadium being built had
> nothing to do with the Super Bowl. For years
> Robbie tried to get the City Of Miami to do
> something with the OB. They would not consider it,
> so Robbie moved to the present location building
> his own stadium.
> At that time,during the planning, Calder Race
> Track and a hotel, were the only things there. 27
> was a two lane road. There was a housing community
> across the steet and well out of the way. Pretty
> good location with easy access north and south. 27
> was widened and lots more construction took place.
>
>
> Now I haven't been there for a long time, but I
> know that the construction that took place was not
> good for access to and from the stadium, or so I'm
> told.
>
> Just a little heads up here. Not Robbie's fault.
>
> South Florida should be the attraction for the SB
> as it always has been. To throw in the stadium is
> just plane dumb. No logical reason for it. People
> will come and they will enjoy what Florida has to
> offer.
> To ask for upgrades right after 250 mill worth was
> done? You've got to be kidding. It's football
> baby, people can party elseware as they always
> have.
>
> Can anyone that has been to the stadium sense
> renovation make a comment on this? I haven't been
> there so fill me in please.

Not to mention, Joe used ZERO taxpayer dollars to build that stadium. He used every penny he had and then some...he mortgaged his house, the team itself, put EVERYTHING he had into that stadium.

I think it's admirable for a team to upgrade an existing stadium rather than tear them down every few years and threaten to relocate the team to another city if the local government doesn't pay for a new, multi-billion dollar complex. The upgrades to the park are extending its life by a few years, and that's a good thing.

Date: December 10, 2009 05:14AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> Thanks R/J. Some people have told me it was a pain
> to get to but I wondered about this as the
> location always had easy access from both North
> and South.
> One day I will try for myself.
>
> Anyway, screw Goodell.

They even have a separate highway exit for the place, only used on event days. Parking isn't the best, and public transit options are NOT on par with what a city should offer... but that's not the team's fault either.

Date: December 10, 2009 05:17AM

KrK Wrote:
> Damn, and to think, Football used to be a game
> played outside.

Yeah, can you imagine Bart Starr doing a quarterback sneak with it minus-15 degrees OUTSIDE, but inside the stadium it's a cozy 72F and the field has the latest techno-turf. All the while Coach Lombardi is pacing the sidelines in a Hawaiian shirt.

Date: December 10, 2009 06:32AM

JC Wrote:
> I think it's admirable for a team to upgrade an
> existing stadium rather than tear them down every
> few years and threaten to relocate the team to
> another city if the local government doesn't pay
> for a new, multi-billion dollar complex. The
> upgrades to the park are extending its life by a
> few years, and that's a good thing.

I agree completely! Here in Orlando the city is pumping a ton of money into a new basketball stadium. Meanwhile, I get to see it every day in heavy traffic on my way to work. They've been talking about ways to aleviate the traffic in Orlando for years (it's probably the worst in Florida), yet they haven't done anything about it. Still, they feel the need to spend tax dollars to build an unneeded stadium. I've been to the current stadium. It's NOT that bad.

Posted by: psalm462 ()
Date: December 10, 2009 08:54AM

I live in Cincinnati, I have presented the colors at Paul Brown Stadium on the field ten times and I have also been to seven different stadiums to watch the dolphins play. I can tell you that Miami has a good stadium. For the past four years I have been able to make it to at least one game a year in Miami and there is nothing wrong with the stadium. There is nothing better then to have the breeze and a sun fading evening with (at one time the largest high definition screen in the world) showing you the plays. Nothing can beat the weather, atmosphere and party events that Miami has. Tampa comes close or even jacksonville, but look even as far back as when they played the superbowl in Atlanta. They had an ice storm and it almost shut down all events at the superbowl. And who wants to visit Indianapolis, St. Louis or other places when you can take a vacation along with the game. He just wants everyone to pour out money like water and he is full of it.

Date: December 10, 2009 09:47AM

Yup, we all have it right. Goodell's and a**!smileys with beer

Date: December 11, 2009 04:42AM

Now, wasn't last night's game of Browns vs Steelers a PERFECT example of what we were talking about with games being played outside?

It was a cold December evening, two rust belt rivals duke-ing it out just like in the old days. Can you imagine last night's game inside a dome? It wouldn't have been half as entertaining.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 11, 2009 04:48AM

Date: December 11, 2009 05:11AM

Phinjim Wrote:
>
>
> 1. In Miami in September (except for the
> unusually cool weather this year) the heat is a
> factor.
>
>

People are going to think I'm nuts, but here goes: i was actually a bit ticked off when they changed the early-in-the-season home game starting times to 4:00 or 4:15. I wanted them to stay at 1:00, to maximize our home field heat advantage.

I know that's easy to say from up here in MA because I'm not in the stands at JRS enduring that heat, but I DID do several years' time in the old orange bowl having those damn old bleacher seats burn my butt, so I do remember how hot it can get.

Date: December 11, 2009 05:14AM

You're right JC. In Miami you don't get that lingering desert heat and the humidity is kept in check by the breezes from the ocean. What gets you is the sun. It cooks you when you're out there around noon, so 1PM is DEFINITELY hotter than 4PM in Miami.

Date: December 11, 2009 05:39AM

Date: December 11, 2009 12:05PM

IF Ross sells the stadium it would be the death nail for this franchise. We would be Buffaly/Cincy "small market" franchise that will die in the "NEW-NFL" of no salary cap and big money.

The Stadium is the BIGGEST and BEST asset the Dolphins organization has. Removing revenue and adding debt (paying rent) would be the kiss of death no matter how good they tried to spin it

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.