HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Grove and bad personnel moves
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Grove and bad personnel moves
Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: December 03, 2009 01:29AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grove and bad personnel moves
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 03, 2009 02:28AM

DolphinSam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a) Bad moves
> Gibril Wilson - 27 million bought us crap
Yes, we paid him too much. He's been pretty good in the nickle and dime packages, and 27 million is too much to pay for a situational player.

> Jake Grove - always hurt and way too expensive
We didn't have too much to choose from in the offseason.

> Ernest Wilford - brought in from FA and could
> never get on the field
Not sure the GM and Coach were on the same page here. Wilford may have been good for us as a tall receiver with good hands, but Sparano didn't play him.

> Sean Ryan - FA TE that was supposed to be great,
> that didn't pan out.
That happens. How much did we pay him? I don't recall this being a big hit on our cap.

> Jason Taylor - mishandled
How so?

> Matt Roth - mishandled
Same as above. What?

> Ted Ginn - kept him around, failed to trade him
Not sure he was truly trade-able at his salary.

> Pat White - horrible draft pick
Agreed

>
>
>
> b) Questionable
> Jake Long - Ok, he'll go to the pro bowl, but is
> he a natural LT? He's proven that he can get
> beat, so couldn't we have gotten a decent LT later
> and have Matt Ryan or someone else as our 1st pick
> making the big bucks?
Can't believe you're questioning this. Long has played very well as of late. What exactly is a "natural" LT? Should the guy be left handed?

> Justin Smiley - Is he good enough? Who did we
> have before him, Hadnot? Has he played better
> than Hadnot?
He's played 100x better than Hadnot!! He was our best O-Lineman last year and played a HUGE role in mentoring Jake Long. I don't fault the trifecta for signing Smiley. I fault them for not getting quality depth to back him up seeing has he's injury prone.

> Tyrone Culver - We cut Chris Crocker for him?
> Isn't Chris playing pretty good with the Bengels
> right now? Tyrone Culver can't even beat out
> Gibril Wilson.
Wilson's our high-paid FA. No one really expected Culver to beat him out. I'm banking on Clemons, not Culver.

> Cam Wake - I think this was a good pickup, but why
> can't he contribute more? It's disappointing he
> was supposed to make a huge impact this season,
> not be a developmental project. But, he is for
> now.
He was a DE in the CFL and he's being asked to play OLB in the NFL. He's also playing behind some pretty big-name vets (Porter/JT). Give him time. He'll probably be a starter next year at some point.

> Anthony Fasano - great one year so far only. He
> disappeared this year, and TE is a critical
> position in our conservative offense.
True, last year was a fluke, but who could have predicted that the loss of David Martin would have such a negative impact on Fasano? Last year people were lauding him as the 2nd coming of Mark Bavaro!

> Chad Henne - Jury is out. If he doesn't prove
> good enough, you've resigned your offense to years
> of mediocrity.
What the Hell??? Week after week he's grown and has shown he's ready to lead this franchise. You're just in a negative mood. I can't believe you're questioning Henne at this point.

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: December 03, 2009 03:12AM

Chad Henne has as strong an arm i've seen since Marino, pin point accuracy, and does not get rattled in tight situations.

Okay, i may have jumped the gun in giving him these assessments, but he has excelled in every point stated above. this is only his 1st year seeing time as starter, i think he's going to be special.

"I don't really care what happened in the past, I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them." - T. Sparano

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 03, 2009 03:13AM

I cant believe how impatient some people are. They've had more hits than misses in the personnel dept. and you cant get all the moves right. Compared to past regimes I am absolutely exstatic with this one even if they end up 8-8. Name me another team that can lose their starting QB, starting (and 3rd string) RB starting NT and a starting CB among others and still be competitive? Victors response was perfect!

Posted by: clovis phinatic ()
Date: December 03, 2009 04:22AM

There have been a couple not so bright moves, but for the short time the Tuna and company has been there they are headed the right direction,
One last comment I have no doubts about Henne he will be with us for a long time!

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: December 03, 2009 05:50AM

I would of responded to your post but you made it way too big. In short......your nuts in your assesment.

For the first time in a long time we have a staff in place that is making the right moves and has the right attitude to build a team. Show me a regime anywhere in the NFL or the history of the NFL for that matter that has batted 1000% and I will eat a bag of dog shit and put it on youtube for everyones enjoyment.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 03, 2009 06:55AM

Date: December 03, 2009 07:04AM

ranger1 Wrote:
> Show me a
> regime anywhere in the NFL or the history of the
> NFL for that matter that has batted 1000% and I
> will eat a bag of dog shit and put it on youtube
> for everyones enjoyment.

Now you're going to make me look just to see if you'll do it smoking smiley

Date: December 03, 2009 07:24AM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 03, 2009 07:32AM

Date: December 03, 2009 08:02AM

Date: December 03, 2009 08:03AM

Montique, I don't agree with everything in the article either, but he is correct about the DC and correct about it being the defense fault for at least 3 losses. We all like to talk about offense, but it is the defense that has let the team down way to often.

I don't buy, even for a moment, that the team is out of condition and gets tired in the 4th quarter. That being the case, why do we do so well in the first half and not the second? It is because whatever adjustments are made aren't working. It's the same players but different strategy that is not working. That goes squarely on the DC shoulders and that is why he either needs to get it done or get out.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 03, 2009 08:09AM

Excellent post Phinsfan and on top of all the good moves made lets not forget some of the ones we didnt make, like over-paying for aging vets and trading away draft picks.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 03, 2009 08:10AM

good stuff in this thread. I really disagree with the OP that Taylor was "mishandled." In fact, it was played better than anything we've ever done. we lent him to WAS for 1 horrible season and in exchange (1) got a 2d and 5th; and (2) got rid of potential locker room cancer and got him back motivated and loving MIA again.

we are usually on the other end of those "loans"--see AJ Feeley.

Date: December 03, 2009 08:12AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> Montique, I don't agree with everything in the
> article either, but he is correct about the DC and
> correct about it being the defense fault for at
> least 3 losses. We all like to talk about offense,
> but it is the defense that has let the team down
> way to often.
>
> I don't buy, even for a moment, that the team is
> out of condition and gets tired in the 4th
> quarter. That being the case, why do we do so well
> in the first half and not the second? It is
> because whatever adjustments are made aren't
> working. It's the same players but different
> strategy that is not working. That goes squarely
> on the DC shoulders and that is why he either
> needs to get it done or get out.

Absolutely! I agree.

BTW: When was the last time we had a DC we were happy with? I remember people bashing Jim Bates, but he's the best one we've had since Bill Arnsparger.

Date: December 03, 2009 09:53AM

It's so frustrating. The few years we had a great defense we had no offense. The rest of the time, sense back in the day, the defense has lost so many games I can't count them all.

Some people think that the QB is everything. Well we had possibly the best ever. How many times did we see him put 30+ points up and lose the freaking game.

We really need that D. Without it we will never get there. Now I do believe it will come, soon I hope.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 03, 2009 10:09AM

Gibril Wilson really struggled early in the season, and he's going to be a lightning rod for criticism for the entire offseason. But, the truth is that he has played quite well the last 5 or 6 games.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 03, 2009 10:46AM

> Berkeley223 - good stuff in this thread. I really disagree with the OP that Taylor was "mishandled." In fact, it was played better than anything we've ever done. we lent him to WAS for 1 horrible season and in exchange (1) got a 2d and 5th; and (2) got rid of potential locker room cancer and got him back motivated and loving MIA again.

Totally agree.

I however think that as the season has progressed, JT & the rest of the DE OLBs having to play the whole game vs. initial plans to be situational, have contributed to having "no gas in the tank" in the 4th qtr.

The whole matt Roth affair (was mishandled) and collectively, we are not an effective DL in the 4th Qtr (at all).

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 03, 2009 12:54PM

I firmly believe DolphinSam is more of a dark cloud around here than MikeO is. DolphinSam never ever has a happy comment. Its all bad.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: December 03, 2009 02:42PM

Dolphin Sam, you made a very accurate post. Those who bash you on this thread are the same ones who blindly had their faith in the Cameron-Mueller experiment. They are the same people who thought John Beck was going to save this franchise, based on some youtube highlights.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: December 03, 2009 02:59PM

Phinsfan- Agree with you almost 100% I would give the JT trade an A got two draft picks for him and we still have him back. At the end of the day he is still JT.

Montequi- I am a man of my word

Aqua- Mind your toungue! No one is more negative than Miko

Hokie Pokie- Not true of all of us that dissagree with his assesment. I never crown a rookie wether it be a coach or player until they prove it. That means production and not just in one game. The reason I am so big on JT and was on ZT is because of production year in and year out. I am still not sold on Flacco or Ryan. It is only their second season even though I do believe they are good QB's I am not ready to say they are great. Both have a lot of weapons which helps. Further more dissagreing with a person is not bashing just dissagreeing. Some are too quick to condem players and others too quick to praise. Only a few make honest assesments without the kool aide or the phins glasses on.

I have the dog and I have the poop still waiting for someone to find the stats.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 03, 2009 03:51PM

Ranger, Hokie definately directed that comment towards me. He likes to take pot shots at me. Its cool though.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: December 03, 2009 03:53PM

Wow...nevermind then. I won't post again if it bothers everybody so much.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 03, 2009 05:57PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.