HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Pat White
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Pat White
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 02, 2009 01:35PM

any reason why the team is not even contemplating making him a WR or playing him some there? I don't see how we are using his skills having him take the shotgun snap and hand off. There is a pretty decent success rate in turning college QBs into valuable pass catchers. White is pretty special in space. My only concern is he is TINY! There are few players who I've seen who look as short and scrawny as him standing next to anyone else on the team.

or if we are going to insist on using him only as a QB, why not have him PASS once or twice (hopefully he won't overthrow by 20 yds as usual)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pat White
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: December 02, 2009 01:44PM

because he isn't a WR

Date: December 02, 2009 01:49PM

meaning what--he can't be made one, or he's never been one? lots of players were QBs not WRs in college and are now playing WR in the pros.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: December 02, 2009 02:49PM

I don't think they are confident enough that it would work. And for 2 years we've had the same bunch of receivers....Camarillo, Bess, Ronnie and Cobbs and Fasano catching short passes, - I really think that they believe they have a good crew of receivers and that nobody is going to replace them unless they are head and shoulders above them in practice. Turner, for example, is never going to get on the field in a game unless he outplays Bess and Camarillo. Which, I think is ridiculous.

Pat White seems out of place on an NFL team right now. I don't know honestly where he'd fit in. He's not a drop back QB, and although he can throw, but what he did well in college is run. He just can't do that here, defenses are too big and fast. I don't know why we drafted him.

confused smiley

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 02, 2009 03:44PM

Given our draft history in the past 10 years or so, including passing on Drew Brees, Dolphin Sam, all I can say is that the Dolphin management are not persons in whom you should entrust the sale of the family cow.

They will come back with a handful of magic beans. Although, unlike in Jack, those beans will not grow into a beanstalk.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 02, 2009 03:46PM

Well, he is a rookie. Can we not wait just a little bit, more than half the rookies drafted this year barely step on the field.

Come on man. This is ridiculous to bash him right now.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2009 03:47PM by Aqua&Orange.

Date: December 02, 2009 04:02PM

I think Pat White is what he is. A guy who in time will be a capable NFL back-up QB. A guy who can come in a run a wild cat type offense for a few plays a game. And a guy who will always find a roster spot in this league.

Moving him to WR makes no sense on any level. He isn't a WR.

Date: December 02, 2009 04:19PM

I'm not bashing him. I'm saying we need to play him more.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 02, 2009 05:32PM

I think we need to see what he can do as a QB. Not a Wild-Pat...or Option guy.

I like Henne and think he needs all the playing time he can get; but, we spent a 2nd round on White, and we should see what he can do.

So far I have seen him throw one legit pass...a deep one to an open Ginn which was a serious overthrow. Why not let him try again?

As long as they limit him to a direct snap run or option teams will have an easy time defending him. He needs to take a snap and make reads and pass the ball...with the option of pulling it down and running if nothing is there. THAT would make him more potent.

I think they have saved that for the Pats. I would not be surprised to see him this week in the Pistol and the two backs split out and he drops back to pass.

If he connects on one or two passes...then he becomes the 'improvement' over Ronnie Brown...if not...he is a downgrade. They know this...They must be waiting for the Pats ...or elimination from the play-offs.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 02, 2009 06:00PM

I'm with Berkeley. What's the harm at trying him at WR. He's still a threat to throw it, and his YAC may be better than anyone else on the team!

Posted by: clovis phinatic ()
Date: December 02, 2009 07:21PM

I think we put him on the sidelines with a clipboard. Henne is the man, Pat White is second string and that all it should be. Thats the way it was for Henne when Chad P. was the starter.
Henne will be special and we need to keep him on the field. The wildcat has its days, problem is our coordinator tries to get to cute with it. We need to get out of the mindset that we need it to win. I am obviously ON the Henne wagon and anxious to see where it goes! No disrespect to White but he needs to be holding the board.

Re: Pat White/RW v. RB
Posted by: Doug ()
Date: December 03, 2009 03:04AM

the team is developing pat white into an NFL QB... with only 1 TC, and a handful of games played i don't see how you can really expect a rookie to handle NFL action. Remember White was supposed to be our 3rd QB this yr, behind Pennington, and Henne. Had there been no injury to Penny, he'd of still been 3rd on the depth chart with the reliable Pennington serving as b/u... I think we'll see a different player come september. A full off season of workouts, and TC will help him.

That being said, White needs to develop his arm and ability to read defense this off season. It is WAY too early to judge him... the wildcat is evolving, and this team knows that. The height argument is weak.... look at the success Doug Flutie had in this league, and he wasn't nearly as agile or fast as White... Can White take a hit? That remains to be seen.

I don't want White necessarily to be a wild cat guy. But a change of pace guy would be perfect for a team efficient on the ground and through the air. Someone we can put in there to exploit the blitz. this i think he's totally capable of.

as far as draft positioning, sure i think he was taken a little too high, and yes there were other players on the board at positions of need, but im glad we got to him 1st than NE or any other team looking to add a wrinkle to an already powerful offense.

as much as i love Ronnie Brown, i think the team sees in him a north/south runner who takes a beating, and is prone to injury. not a good combo. 2 major surgeries in 2 yrs could spell the end to relying on him as an every-down back. on a similar note, Ricky Williams is a FREAK and we should sign him long term to a deal ensuring he plays his career out in Miami.

"I don't really care what happened in the past, I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them." - T. Sparano

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 03, 2009 10:04AM

They are not going to do it in midseason. They gave a sincere effort to use him as a QB. And it hasn't worked out to this point. But, they are not suddenly going to try to teach him how to be a WR in midseason. There isn't time for it. It's not something he has ever done. It's not like it's something he could learn to do in his spare time. It would take several months of constant work just to get him acclimated to running routes.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 03, 2009 05:01PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are not going to do it in midseason. They
> gave a sincere effort to use him as a QB. And it
> hasn't worked out to this point. But, they are not
> suddenly going to try to teach him how to be a WR
> in midseason. There isn't time for it. It's not
> something he has ever done. It's not like it's
> something he could learn to do in his spare time.
> It would take several months of constant work just
> to get him acclimated to running routes.

I'm not refuting what you're saying, but Jim Jensen used to admit he had an easy time learning routes because he already had to know them as a QB. In fact, since he would think like a QB, he and Dan were usually in-sync as to where he should go to get open. I really think Pat White can do the same and be even better than Jensen (because he's more athletic).

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: December 03, 2009 05:08PM

How long did it take for Henne to get time under center? Why would you assume any different with a project like White?

"I don't really care what happened in the past, I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them." - T. Sparano

Date: December 04, 2009 12:42AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I'm not bashing him. I'm saying we need to play
> him more.

at a position he has never played before? It makes zero sense

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: December 04, 2009 04:06AM

El Oh El at throwing in the towel on Pat White in his first year as a pro.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 04, 2009 04:14AM

Only someone that thinks they know more about football than BP and co. would call Pat White a bust in year one. Personally, I trust BP enough to assume that he had something special in mind to use a second round pick to get him. Certainly we had more pressing needs than a third string QB.

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: December 04, 2009 06:58AM

I think that Pat White's poor play this season is more a result of how he is used, rather than who he is as a player. He often stands on the sideline for 2 or 3 quarters and then he is sent in for one play. QB's need to develop a rhythm.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 04, 2009 07:15AM

I'd like to see them develop WR skills during this year, for the purpose of using him as a receiver (after he hands off), or if Rickly takes a snap and he motions or takes the fake handoff onoy to become a receiver.

Add in wrinkle where he runs or passes and you start frezing defense, if effectively executed.

Yes glitter, but effective thing people would have to deal with,

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 04, 2009 07:36AM

It's not a bad idea in general. Lots of QBs made have made the transition to receiver. On our own team in addition to Jim Jensen there was Marlin Briscoe, who played QB for the Broncos and was a effective WR for us, who also chucked a couple passes once in a while.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: December 04, 2009 08:10AM

Antoine Randle-el wasn't a WR until the NFL either.

Why is it hard to believe that you can make a WR out of a smart, fast, 6'0", 190 lb. man with lots of QB experience and knows routes, as good if not better, than WR's coming into the league?

Date: December 04, 2009 11:02AM

Pat White was brought in to play QB, I see no reason to move him. You need multiple QB's in this league.

For a guy to learn the QB position in the NFL is tough. To throw on top of his plate learning how to play WR then play it on an NFL level is insane and honestly silly and laughable.

Randel-El left Indiana with no intention to play QB in the NFL. That is why making him a WR was possible. And Randel-El hasn't played QB in the NFL either.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 04, 2009 04:47PM

montequi Wrote:
>
> I'm not refuting what you're saying, but Jim
> Jensen used to admit he had an easy time learning
> routes because he already had to know them as a
> QB. In fact, since he would think like a QB, he
> and Dan were usually in-sync as to where he should
> go to get open. I really think Pat White can do
> the same and be even better than Jensen (because
> he's more athletic).

Jensen had an easy time reading coverages because of his QB experience. And I'm sure White would be similar.

But, Jensen played very little WR. He was used mostly as an H-Back, so his route tree was much more limited. And he also never caught a pass in the NFL until his 4th season. And he wasn't used extensively until his 7th season. He had lots of offseason time to learn a different position.

Posted by: clovis phinatic ()
Date: December 04, 2009 04:52PM

MikeO I know we have butted heads before, but again.

You make no sense with your arguement about Randel-El. Who cares if he had no intention of playing QB at the pro level. The fact is he was an athletic QB in college.

I see no reason to move White eithe,r but if he wants to play WR than give him a shot. To say absolutely not, you can not do it because you had no intent on being a WR in the pros, is incorrect!!! There are many of examples of guys who have done it, not just Randel-El

good point GBOFinFan

At least we agree on one of the other posts. (How the wild cat is being used)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2009 07:49PM by clovis phinatic.

Date: December 05, 2009 04:12AM

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: December 05, 2009 01:49PM

MikeO Wrote:

> And you are missing the point. The Day Randel-El
> played his last game at INDIANA, he started
> preparing to be an NFL WR!!!! He worked otu for
> NFL teams as a WR. He was in the mind-set of being
> an NFL WR and not an NFL QB. The day Pat White
> played his last college game he started preparing
> to be an NFL QB! And didn't even consider being a
> WR.
>
> You just don't wake up one morning and say "I'm a
> WR!!!". It takes months of preperation, a new
> workout routine, gaining a new skiil set, and
> being in a mind-frame that you just don't decide
> over a cup of your morning joe!!

Mike, just thought you might want to read up on the subject before you make these comments with exclamation points and all.

This if from the NFL draft analysis at the combine...

"Compares To: ANTWAAN RANDLE EL, Washington -- White is likely to make a position switch to wide receiver. He lacks the arm strength and size to stay at quarterback at the next level, unless he plays in the CFL. Even with his outstanding rushing totals, he has not been the most durable player and with his slight frame, will not be able to withstand NFL punishment as an every-down running back. A move to slot receiver or flanker appears to be his quickest route to success, but he will need time to learn the techniques of being a receiver."

Date: December 05, 2009 01:56PM

white refused to work out as anything other than a QB pre-draft. but now he's got to do what the team says, so the fact that he doesn't "want" to be a WR doesn't matter

Date: December 05, 2009 02:02PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> white refused to work out as anything other than a
> QB pre-draft. but now he's got to do what the team
> says, so the fact that he doesn't "want" to be a
> WR doesn't matter

Sure it does matter. They can tell him to go play WR and he can say NO.

Then what?!?! They gonna drag him out on the field at WR....lol lol

Date: December 05, 2009 02:05PM

are you so hung up on your theory that you think it is a viable possibility that White will refuse to play WR if he is told to, and therefore remain a QB? when has that ever happened in the history of the league?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.