HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Nightmare Flashback 2001
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Nightmare Flashback 2001
Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: December 01, 2009 03:08AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nightmare Flashback 2001
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 01, 2009 05:11AM

Funny thing, I'd LOVE to have those 3 WRs right now!! Yeah, this was a STUPID STUPID STUPID move. Everyone pegged us to pick up Brees, and it would have been a briliant move. The Fletcher thing just confused me, as it did everyone. Not only were we very solid at DB, but Fletcher was drafted higher than he should have been. He was NOT a 1st-round talent!!!

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 01, 2009 05:41AM

Im too lazy to look it up, was that JJ or Wanny?

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 01, 2009 07:23AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Im too lazy to look it up, was that JJ or Wanny?

Wanny. Mr "I only draft defensive players in the 1st round". Mr "I overrule everone else giving me advice, including the GM".

He made a similar boneheaded move the following year when he drafted Eddie Moore.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 01, 2009 07:43AM

I'll bet that Wanny & Co. fell into the stereotypical trap that quarterbacks need to be a few inches taller than 6' 0" in order to be successful. Somehow Brees has been able to succeed despite all the prejudices that come along with the measuring tape, and other tangible criteria (height, weight, measurements of various body parts) that teams rely too much on when deciding on whom to draft.

That goes for draftnik fans too, by the way. Who on this board thought Brees was too short to play in the NFL, and will admit that they thought this way?

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 01, 2009 07:50AM

Not me JC, I've like Brees from day one. About choked when the Phins passed him up, twice. You are so right, football is played with the heart more than any other sport.

Date: December 01, 2009 08:12AM

To be fair bree's first couple of years were horrible so they drafted manning then traded him for rivers, then boom he started playing good

Posted by: psalm462 ()
Date: December 02, 2009 02:52AM

I was just about to say the same thing. He was not the best thing when he first came out. Lets face it, a QB is part ability and part system. You can have all the talent in the world, but if put into a system that doesn't produce, the QB will fail. The best teams are the ones who put both of them together and then hope to have a decent enough defense to keep it close!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 02, 2009 07:51AM

I wanted us to draft Brees AND Rivers...I was pissed when we didn't take either.

But then again I wanted us to draft Drew Henson too.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 02, 2009 08:22AM

Of course, I was lobbying for the Boilermaker.

However, what I heard a couple of days ago WAS EVEN MORE DISTURBING. I heard years later Brees was in the Miami Dolphin camp waiting for the final papers to be signed BUT WE BACKED OUT AND SIGNED DUANTE CULPEPPER.

Now that's even FAR MORE STUPID then a decision on whether to pick various people who have never played.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 02, 2009 09:45AM

Amen. The deicison was based on low confidence in his ability to recover from injuries, (as i understan).

Even more ironic when we chose culpepper and someone decided he would recover ... hmmmm

Keep in mind that there is far more than drew breeze fueling the success in NO.

- Years of low draft picks on offense
- Recent rebuild of defense & youth
- Some time for young offensive draft picks to mature
- Drew Breeze to run the offense and Sean payton to run the team

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.