HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The media doesn't know what a WIldcat play is
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The media doesn't know what a WIldcat play is
Posted by: Venom65437 ()
Date: November 20, 2009 04:13AM

Is anyone besides me ever annoyed that the media has no clue what a wildcat play is? Just because a RB takes a snap, that doesn't mean it's a Wildcat play, it's just a direct snap to a RB! Grrr it's so annoying!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The media doesn't know what a WIldcat play is
Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: November 20, 2009 06:24AM

Yup, you are right on this. It's really quite amusing how little they know. They also think it's the whole deal with the Phins.

I hope they keep it in cause it works. Ricky scored again using it.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: November 20, 2009 06:47AM

A direct snap to a RB is usually referring to a RB standing beside the QB in the shotgun.

The RB was behind the center with no QB on the field.

In today's NFL, that is the Wildcat.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: November 20, 2009 07:40AM

Nope, the Wildcat has an unbalanced line. A back is usually put in motion but this is not necessary. Some teams use a single back that takes the snap with a balanced line and no motion. Not really the Wildcat.
And what is this "Today's NFL"? Because some announcer says it's so?

The Dolphins use the Wildcat that came from the Arkansas Razor Backs. It is a modified version of the Single Wing.

Just because a running back,stands behind center and takes the snap, does not make it the wildcat. If a QB stands there and gets the snap it would be called the shotgun. Now isn't that silly?
The alingnment and the plays that are run make it what it is.
What would you call the Gators formation with Tebow? Is that the wildcat? No, it's the shotgun with a running QB.

Posted by: DVDon ()
Date: November 20, 2009 07:47AM

I don't know how intelligent they are but another side might just be that since we run a lot of non-standard plays that anything out of the norm is considered the cat. I mean if we call every play something different we may end up needing a custom glossary depending on which announcing crew we watch. Bottom line is our unique version of a standard offence works and has their attention.

Who cares what they call it.

Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: November 20, 2009 10:16AM

I don't think there's really a "textbook" definition of the Wildcat anymore. Last year we knew it was the WC when there was a wingback in motion, the QB split out wide and the unbalanced line. But this year, even the Dolphins have rarely used the unbalanced line in "Wildcat" plays. And where last year it was pretty much always done with a single-back (the Rcool smiley in the backfield to take the snap, we're now seeing formations that are being called "Wildcat" with the RB/QB in the backfield with one or even two other backs aligned near him.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: November 20, 2009 02:11PM

Depending on where the LT is lined up its a wildcat play. If the o-line is offbalanced, its a wildcat. If it isn't, then its just a direct snap or a spread offense.

it's really not that difficult

Date: November 20, 2009 04:35PM

You can talk all you want about the razorbacks and the single wing etc.,

the Modern Wildcat in the NFL was invented by us, and when every other team in the NFL takes their QB off the field or lines him up at WR and has the RB take the snap in the shotgun...The Modern NFL world calls it "the Wildcat"

The OL configuration is not limited to the most frequent allignment. They do not have to be 'unbalanced'.

The Wildcat spreads the Defence out creating a situation where there are more Offensive players in the box than defensive, unless the D brings the safety up tight ( which is how many are attaking it).

What Ricky ran may not have been the same Wildcat that Ronnie did, but, by the modern definition of what the Wildcat is....it was the Wildcat. Those plays will be counted in the stats the next time they talk about how effectively we run it.

Now you may chose to stick to your definition, but the vast majority of the sports watching world said "Ricky's running the Wildcat".

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: November 20, 2009 11:21PM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> The OL configuration is not limited to the most
> frequent allignment. They do not have to be
> 'unbalanced'.
>
> The Wildcat spreads the Defence out creating a
> situation where there are more Offensive players
> in the box than defensive, unless the D brings the
> safety up tight ( which is how many are attaking
> it).
>

Wrong...what you are describing is the spread offense! A wildcat formation is where we run on an unbalanced line

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: November 21, 2009 09:58AM

MikeO Wrote:
> realist Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> >
> > The OL configuration is not limited to the most
> > frequent allignment. They do not have to be
> > 'unbalanced'.
> >
> > The Wildcat spreads the Defence out creating a
> > situation where there are more Offensive
> players
> > in the box than defensive, unless the D brings
> the
> > safety up tight ( which is how many are
> attaking
> > it).
> >
>
>
> Wrong...what you are describing is the spread
> offense! A wildcat formation is where we run on
> an unbalanced line

So, you're saying we haven't really been running the wildcat this year?? Because the unbalanced line has been almost non-existant. "Wildcat" is a PACKAGE, not a formation ...

Just like every team has a NAME for their packages where they have 2 tight-ends on the field, and 5 DBs is called nickel, and 6 DBs is called dime. Wildcat is the package of plays they have developed where the RB takes the direct-snap.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: November 21, 2009 02:35PM

Venom65437 Wrote:
> Is anyone besides me ever annoyed that the media
> has no clue what a wildcat play is? Just because a
> RB takes a snap, that doesn't mean it's a Wildcat
> play, it's just a direct snap to a RB! Grrr it's
> so annoying!

funny you are annoyed at the media whey you may be as clueless as they are. The direct snap IS our version of a wildcat package... We have used ronnie brown in the "wildcat package" when the line is balanced and no motion (for other comments). Infact in the original wildcat verse the pats I dont think we used the jet motion.

Now what I thought you were going to say you are getting annoyed with is people saying what we do with pat white is the wildcat, now that is just the spread offense that he has been running in WV. Now THAT annoys me...

Posted by: Venom65437 ()
Date: November 21, 2009 04:20PM

Miami Reppa Wrote:
> Venom65437 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is anyone besides me ever annoyed that the
> media
> > has no clue what a wildcat play is? Just because
> a
> > RB takes a snap, that doesn't mean it's a
> Wildcat
> > play, it's just a direct snap to a RB! Grrr
> it's
> > so annoying!
>
>
> funny you are annoyed at the media whey you may be
> as clueless as they are. The direct snap IS our
> version of a wildcat package... We have used
> ronnie brown in the "wildcat package" when the
> line is balanced and no motion (for other
> comments). Infact in the original wildcat verse
> the pats I dont think we used the jet motion.
>
> Now what I thought you were going to say you are
> getting annoyed with is people saying what we do
> with pat white is the wildcat, now that is just
> the spread offense that he has been running in WV.
> Now THAT annoys me...

Well I was going to mention Pat White too but I didn't feel the need to do that. Also, you'll noticed I never mentioned our team specifically anywhere in the original post. It was more a comment on how every direct snap to a RB in the backfield is called a "wildcat" these days. And yes we did use the "jet" motion when we first used the Wildcat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2009 04:24PM by Venom65437.

Date: November 23, 2009 05:27AM

WRONG...you are describing your opinion.

The rest of the NFL world is calling it the Wildcat. It doesn't matter what the original alignment was.

It doesn't matter if the other back comes in a crossing motion or if he does a dive.

as far as the coaches calling the plays, the coaches defending it, the analysts, the commentators, the journalists, and most fans are concerned....

...Any time the RB takes the direct snap in a shotgun and the Qb is off the field or lined up as a WR...That is the Wildcat.

At this point EVERY TEAM in the NFL has its 'VERSION' of the Wildcat. they have variations in how it is run...but it is being called the same thing by everyone. Even when Vick comes in to run it...they are calling it the Wildcat.

So...you can stick with your narrow definition and then clench your teeth every weekend when they call something the Wildcat when it doesn't match you opinion. Or you can accept that the 'term' is being widely used to describe all plays which has the RB take a direct snap.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: November 23, 2009 08:41AM

when vick runs it it is not the wild cat it is the spread...

I watched the chargers run the wildcat yesterday and have to laugh at the names different teams call the package, they use LT to run it and call it the wild frog... I guess because LT was a horn frog???

Date: November 23, 2009 09:26AM

You are correct in saying that it is the spread when Vick runs it...and when Pat White runs it; however, what it is called on tv, in the papers, is the Wildcat.

All the pre-season discussion about Vick was as a Wildcat option. When Pat White was being drafted every said as a Wildcat option.

Now if McNabb gets hurt, or Henne gets hurt, and White or Vick becomes the starter? And during the game while running normal formations they also run these 'wildcat' plays, then they will call it the spread formation.

It doesn't matter that there is a more technically accurate descriptor. As long as there is a 'starting QB' getting pulled or moved to WR and the guy who takes the snap has the option to had-off, run or pass.....they are ALL calling it Wildcat.

It has become a monster that has taken on a life of its own.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 09:58AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 10:25AM

The media knows better than you and me what the wildcat is. They just have to come up with something just to make headlines and talk crap..........................I could care less what the media has to say.....The wildcat works and is here to stay.

Question: What is the media?

Answer: A bunch of overpaid reporters who love to come up with news some of us don't give a crap about most of the time. They twist things around just to make it interesting in their minds.....Who cares about the media.

We will run over people next year with the WILDCAT too and there is nothing the media can do about it..

Date: November 23, 2009 01:22PM

The Pistol is different than the Wildcat.

They refer to the Pistol package when White has a back lined up behind him.

In the 'Wildcat'; which they have also used Pat White in, there is no one behind him. The Jet (or Eagle) comes across, and there is usually a FB to one side.

He has been used in both packages. Just not sure if he did both in the same game?

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 02:44PM

Posted by: GreenGuy ()
Date: December 29, 2009 06:49PM

Haha!

Whats this WILDCAT crap about anyway, Did the NFL ban the word SHOTGUN?

Just more PUSSIFYING of the AMerican mAn!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 30, 2009 08:13AM

The ironic and funny thing is to contrast the title of this thread with all the disagreement in the posts under it about just what the Wildcat is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.