HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bill Bellacheck... I gotta respect that man
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bill Bellacheck... I gotta respect that man
Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: November 16, 2009 09:03AM

4th and 2 from your 28... 2 minutes left and you keep your offense out there, are you kidding me, this guys got stones the size of jupiter!!! definetly the right call but you wouldnt be able to find another coach on this planet with the gaul to make that call. If we had fearless coaches like him we would have blown out the bucs since we would not have been getting concervative and kicking field goals.

I still hate him and his organization but I got a whole new found respect for the man... he is the truth!

right call since you dont kick the ball to manning with 2 minutes and 2 time outs and up 6 when you have the best short passing offense in the league lead by a HOF qb. Like I said I think it was definetly the right call since kicking ment the same result. What do you guys think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2009 09:07AM by Miami Reppa.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bill Bellacheck... I gotta respect that man
Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: November 16, 2009 09:10AM

I'm glad the Pats lost. We gained a game and are that much closer to winning the division. We gotta take care of business Thursday night though. Get Delhomme back into throwing picks mode. I don't think he's thrown one in the last 3 games, after throwing 13 before that.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 16, 2009 09:39AM

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: November 16, 2009 09:51AM

Right call? Not a chance. The NE D was doing a pretty good job on Manning. They should have been given a chance to win the game. 70 yard drive or 30. If you're the D which would you rather have?

Dum call, not smart football. Way to risky and the result proves it.

Re: Bill Bellacheck... I gotta respect nothing
Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: November 16, 2009 09:53AM

That was an extremely dumb call. I couldn't believe he had the arogance to do that. I thought they were just trying to draw the defense off-sides.

When you have the lead like that....you have to punt the ball. The chances of winning the game were much higher when you have the lead with 70 yards to go as opposed to the 30 yards the Colts received as a gift.

It certainly exposed the Patsies Defense...in that Belichick didn't trust them to hold the lead.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 16, 2009 10:14AM

I have to respect bill belicheat for been dumb too. Yes i do.

Date: November 16, 2009 10:27AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right call? Not a chance. The NE D was doing a
> pretty good job on Manning. They should have been
> given a chance to win the game. 70 yard drive or
> 30. If you're the D which would you rather have?
>
> Dum call, not smart football. Way to risky and the
> result proves it.

huh? pretty good against manning? Not in the fourth quarter. here is the senerio in case you missed it...

The 4th quarter it is NE 31 colts 14. Manning gets ball and scores in 5 plays, 79 yards in bearly over 2 minutes! (no defense)- NE31 colts 21

NE gets the ball and is stopped. Manning throws pick pats get fieldgoal NE34 colts 21

Manning gets ball and AGAIN scores another touchdown in 6 plays 79 yards, this time in under 2 minutes (SAME QUARTER!- guy is gettin hot- where is the D?)

The colts scored on two drives of 80 yards averaging about 2 minutes in that quarter and you want to kick it back to this guy? This offense? Are you kidding me! I can see if it was the browns then you kick it but against an elite offense like the colts, NE, saints you keep them off the field at any cost. Definetly the right call. If he kicks it then manning drives back down again and scores so kicking is giving the colts the win. How do I know, well as I said he just did it twice in that quarter, each time taking about 2 minutes to do so... THATS WITH OUT TIME OUTS!

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: November 16, 2009 10:37AM

I see both sides of the coin. BUT imagine the lack of confidence/respect he gave his Defense.

Here's a quote from Adalius Thomas..."I don't know why he went for it. I'm pretty sure he thought we could get it. I don't know why he went for it, though."

I know, Adalius! He doesn't believe in you and your teammates!

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 16, 2009 10:49AM

Horrible call, you punt and make em earn it. Yes it was ballsy but it was not good coaching. (that little dot stands for period!)

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 16, 2009 11:18AM

Even the butt-kissing local sportscasters here in Boston were saying it was a bad call. And they think Bellicheat's farts smell like roses.

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: November 16, 2009 11:19AM

Two things:

1) It looked like Brady talked him into it

2) Odalius Thomas was inactive for a game earlier in the year for no good reason ala Joey Porter. I've been watching the pats the last few weeks and Thomas has been playing pretty well. Maybe our inactivation of JP will light a fire under his ass

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: November 16, 2009 11:29AM

Right call? No. The problem is, he had two options and neither of them were great.

Either go for it on 4th down, hope to convert and if so run the clock out and and win the game

or

kick to the Colts, and rely on your defense to stop Manning from going what would have been maybe 75-80 yards and scoring with under 2 minutes left.

On on hand, his defense had forced Manning into a number of 3 and outs that game, so the defense proved that they COULD stop him. Whether they would or not is what had Bellicheat sweating.

The reason I say it was a bad call is because your defense had proved that they were able to stop Manning a number of times throughout the game. If they kicked off to him they had a very real chance of stopping him and winning the game. Whereas, if they don't convert that 4th down, they immediately lose the game without question (by giving Manning the ball on the 18 with 2 minutes....that's guaranteed a touchdown for Manning in that situation.

At least if they kicked off, they had a guaranteed shot to win, they would've controlled their own destiny. If they don't convert the 4th, the game is over no question.

Such hubris and cockiness to think "yeah we got this, they can't stop us." Reminds me of Rex Ryan kicking to Ginn for a third time after he had returned back to back kick offs of over 100 yards for touchdowns. or Ryan not calling a timeout in our first meeting when we scored at the end to win the game "I just didn't think there was any way they were going to score on us. I was wrong" Cocky idiot.

Date: November 16, 2009 11:43AM

I have to say that i wanted the pats to win i cannot lie......But im not mad that they lost either.....Its a win win situation.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 16, 2009 12:23PM

Date: November 16, 2009 12:37PM

Panteraize Wrote:
> Right call? No. The problem is, he had two options
> and neither of them were great.
>
> Either go for it on 4th down, hope to convert and
> if so run the clock out and and win the game

THe pats have a GREAT short passing game. If I told you that you could win a million dollars tomorrow but it win you had to put it on the pats completing a 4th and 2 against the colts defense. One time, who do you put the money on, the pats short offense or the colts d? Please be honest. I have seen these guys pick up 3 and 5 VERY consistently, what is 2 yards for this team. They pick up that first down 29 out of 30 times. Colts dodged a bullet.

> kick to the Colts, and rely on your defense to
> stop Manning from going what would have been maybe
> 75-80 yards and scoring with under 2 minutes left.

Not a smart move since the colts scored two TD of 80 yards both in under 2 minutes and guess what you are kicking to them with 2 minutes left... how ironic.

> On on hand, his defense had forced Manning into a
> number of 3 and outs that game, so the defense
> proved that they COULD stop him. Whether they
> would or not is what had Bellicheat sweating.

Stop him huh, the colts had like over 420 yards of total offense... I dont think that is stopping a team. Further 190 of that was all in the fourth quarter alone.

> The reason I say it was a bad call is because your
> defense had proved that they were able to stop
> Manning a number of times throughout the game. If
> they kicked off to him they had a very real chance
> of stopping him and winning the game. Whereas, if
> they don't convert that 4th down, they immediately
> lose the game without question (by giving Manning
> the ball on the 18 with 2 minutes....that's
> guaranteed a touchdown for Manning in that
> situation.

Proven??? read my above comment

Date: November 16, 2009 12:38PM

Panteraize Wrote:
> Such hubris and cockiness to think "yeah we got
> this, they can't stop us." Reminds me of Rex Ryan
> kicking to Ginn for a third time after he had
> returned back to back kick offs of over 100 yards
> for touchdowns. or Ryan not calling a timeout in
> our first meeting when we scored at the end to win
> the game "I just didn't think there was any way
> they were going to score on us. I was wrong" Cocky
> idiot.

I cant say if it was cocky but he has more confidence in his offense getting 2 yards than his defense stopping manning going 80 yards again with 2 minutes and 2 time outs. In the end it is not about appeasing the defense it is about winning championships. In crunch time you go with your veteran playmakers and guess what, 90% of them is on the offensive side of the ball. I can see if it was 4th and 20 then yeah that is cocky and retarded but 4th and 2 that is the right call. You put the ball in the hands of your HOF qb.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: November 16, 2009 12:50PM

Conventional football wisdom says punt the ball. Glad he didn't though.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: November 16, 2009 01:08PM

Reppa, you're just not reasoning this out correctly. Remember that the Colts D was rising to the occasion. They already stopped them on third and 2 with a great play by the rookie at the sideline. The 4th and 2 was stopped again by another great defensive play. The Colts D was playing to well to take the chance.

On the other hand, I did watch the entire game and the Pats D was doing a pretty decent job as stated above. To drive again for 70 or more yards? Well I like those odds MUCH better.

Proof is in the pudding. NE did not make the first down and the Colts won.

Reminds me a little of the playoff game NE had against the Ravens during their undefeated season. Ravens had them stopped on 4th down at the end of the game. Ravens coach calls a time out just as the play starts. What a dumb call. Ravens had them beat and their coach losses it for them.

Date: November 16, 2009 01:38PM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> Reppa, you're just not reasoning this out
> correctly. Remember that the Colts D was rising to
> the occasion. They already stopped them on third
> and 2 with a great play by the rookie at the
> sideline. The 4th and 2 was stopped again by
> another great defensive play. The Colts D was
> playing to well to take the chance.

Great point, the colts D was playing very well and shut out NE offense in the fourth (who only score on a short field). I think the reppa may have to stand corrected... grinning smiley

Posted by: Venom65437 ()
Date: November 16, 2009 02:04PM

Coaches never learn... kick the ball!

Posted by: Luis75 ()
Date: November 16, 2009 02:22PM

Hes a douche , that team is one big bag of douches and I dont like them. His so called ballsy decision backfiring made my day. Nothing better than seeing bellicheat or fat ryan's face after a loss. Its like being thirteen and seeing a nice pair of boobs you shouldnt be looking at.

Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: November 16, 2009 02:48PM

The right call??????

That was pure ARROGANCE!!!!!

Belicheck has no respect for his own players!!!

I hope this games turns into a melting point for the Patriots.

If I were a player on the PATS defense I would just QUIT and not give effort for a coach who doesn't respect/believe in his own players!!!

Can you imagine if you were a defensive player on the Patriots and your coach pulled that stunt on you? Unbelievable! Why would I give 100% effort for a coach that doesn't believe in his own players.

All I can say is "What a JERK!"

Date: November 16, 2009 02:56PM

I agree it was pure arrogance and im glad it fell in his face.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: November 16, 2009 03:01PM

He's an idiot for going for it.

If it was any other coach they would be fired today. But because it was Belichick people agree with him cause they want to be seen as being on the "same level" as Bill and agreeing with the mad genius.

Belichick was an idiot last night and lost his team the game

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: November 16, 2009 03:42PM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: November 16, 2009 04:09PM

the same numbers that told Tony Sparano to go for 2 with a 8 pt lead againts the Jets.

Throw numbers out the window, at times you just need to use your commen sense. PUNT THE BALL!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 16, 2009 05:25PM

Panteraize, SamSam and steviec13 had it right. It had nothing to do with strategy. It was pure hubris and arrogance.

He did it simply because........he thought he could.

Is the media saying that Brady may have talked him into it? I dunno because Brady looked pretty pissed on the sidelines afterwards.

But the same thing that has this jerk with his first team in late in the game trying to run up the score made him do this. Not any strategy.

Moreover, when it was 3rd and 2, they should have run the ball and they had an incomplete pass. On third down and 2, you run the ball to get as close to first down as you can. You spread the offense and then run the ball. Since you know that you're going to go for it on FOURTH DOWN, you run the ball on third down and hope it gets you close enough for a quarterback sneak on fourth down.

I too thought it was going to be an attempt to get the defense to jump offsides.

But he really went for it. The jerk.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: November 16, 2009 06:36PM

I agree with Reppa. The Patriots defense was being completely violated by Peyton Manning in the 4th quarter. Everyone in that building knew he was going to score if he got the ball again, including Belichick. He gave Tom Brady a chance to get two yards, and if not for a bobble by Kevin Faulk, he would have had it.

I hate Bill Belichick, and I sometimes even fantasize about sucker punching him...

... but the gnashing and wailing of teeth over his decision to go for it on 4th down is absurd. He made a coaching decision and it didn't work out. Oh my goodness!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 16, 2009 06:59PM

Well, NFL.com has Belichick refusing to say he would do the same thing if he had it to do over again.

I assume that question was "Assuming you would not NECESSARILY get the same result, would you do it over again?" and he refused to answer.

Of course, even the stupidest person in the world would not do it over IF THEY KNEW the result would be the same.

So, when somebody asked you would you do it over again if you had it to do, what they mean is "Now having experienced what you did, if you had a chance to do it over again not knowing what the result would be, would you do the same thing?"

Logically, therefore, either a "no" answer OR a refusal to answer that question at all (which Belichick did when he refused to answer) is an admission that what you did was a damn silly thing! There is really no other way to look at it.

Date: November 16, 2009 07:04PM

Miami Reppa Wrote:
> Leon In Denver Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Reppa, you're just not reasoning this out
> > correctly. Remember that the Colts D was rising
> to
> > the occasion. They already stopped them on
> third
> > and 2 with a great play by the rookie at the
> > sideline. The 4th and 2 was stopped again by
> > another great defensive play. The Colts D was
> > playing to well to take the chance.
>
> Great point, the colts D was playing very well and
> shut out NE offense in the fourth (who only score
> on a short field). I think the reppa may have to
> stand corrected... grinning smiley

I rethought about it and although the colts D was playing well NE defense was not. Kicking it to manning would be the same result as kicking it to the saints with 2 minutes. A touchdown. There best chance to win was going for it, and as J said they had the conversion he just bobbled the catch. I am happy they lost but it was the right call.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.