HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Long Pass Attempts
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Long Pass Attempts
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 12, 2009 05:58AM

Question(s) to the board...

Why does it appear that we try so few long bomb passes per game? I think it would do us a lot of good even if we hit a relatively low percentage.

My theories as to why it appears that we try so few:
- we actually do call an 'appropriate' number of those plays but something happens (blocking fails, WR is covered too well) that the attempt is aborted
- the coaching staff feels it is too low a percentage play to merit too many attempts
- sort of related to above, we can't afford - given our offensive capabilities - to take too many chances on plays that don't give us positive yards

I truly believe we should be seeing no fewer than 3 long bomb pass attempts per game. We have the personnel to be successful on those attempts. A reception or a defensive PI results in a huge gain. Although a turnover is a turnover and they all hurt, an INT on those attempts may be the least harmful type of turnover I can think of.

I just don't get it. Sparano points to chunk yardage, but it doesn't seem like we're really doing our best to get them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long Pass Attempts
Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: November 12, 2009 06:06AM

It is any number of things.

Are the WR's running the deep routes getting open in one-on-one situations? Are they facing double/triple coverage?

Does the play have enough time to develop? Is Henne getting the time he needs to go through his progressions? Is he locking in on his receivers?

There is just so much more going on than what we think we see...

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 12, 2009 07:04AM

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: November 12, 2009 07:38AM

There are a lot of factors to consider but simply put..to throw the deep ball you have to have:

1. Time in the pocket for the receiver to get downfield (even more if the receiver's making a double move.

2. Speed at the WR position to beat man to man.

3. An underneath threat to keep the safety honest.

4. Confidence that your receiver go over the corner if the ball is underthrown.

Number 1 has been a problem the past couple of games. The only WR we have that has number 2 is Ginn and he doesn't have number 4. Hartline is the only receiver that has 4 and he lacks 2.

IMO, the best chances we have for chunk pass plays are 10-20 yard patterns that involve Bess or Hartline where they can get a little room to run after the catch.

Or just hit Ginn in stride on a go pattern (the only pattern I feel comfortable throwing to him) but if it comes up short, don't expect him to make a play on the ball.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 12, 2009 08:17AM

The biggest problem we have with these types of plays is the time issue IMHO...teams are stacking seven, eight and nine in the box to stop the run and then they are getting a good rush on Henne which results in not enough time to get the ball deep because of our slow receivers...as said Ginn's reduced playing time simply makes the situation worse as do dropped balls.

Date: November 13, 2009 09:29AM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 13, 2009 12:02PM

We have a couple of problems here. One, teams are sending 6, 7, and sometimes 8 pass rushers at us. Henne just doesn't have time to make these deep throws. And two, we don't have the guys who can go get them. On deep passes, you want guys who can either run by the defender or can go over the defender to make the catch. Ginn is the only guy on our roster who can run by people. And Hartline and Turner are the only guys with the size to make the long catch when they are covered.

Date: November 13, 2009 12:22PM

So, how do you negate the problems? Flea flicker? Roll Henne out? Hit the hot read just once or twice for big gains behind the rushing D? Max protect and just send one or two receivers out? I'm no coach, but there has to be a way.

I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth, but it seems like folks are saying that the problems are so great that we basically have no business attempting this stuff. My contention is that if we give up on it and teams know we have, then we're facing the same situation we had w/Penny...only with a younger, less experienced QB. A team makes its life awfully difficult when it concedes part of the field.

The 53-yarder to Ginn was the play that inspired the most hope for me in years...at least a decade. Ginn ran right by the coverage and the throw was there. I don't remember what the pressure looked like, but the game situation was intense.

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: November 13, 2009 12:34PM

I'd like to see us play Ginn early and somehow get him matched up on Ronde Barber for a deep pass. Ronde is old and slow, but he is a smart player. Bucs are 28th in pass D

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: November 13, 2009 02:06PM

Who's gonna catch it?

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: November 13, 2009 04:05PM

ChambersDeepBall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bucs are 28th in pass D

We're 29th in pass O

Date: November 15, 2009 05:47PM

Obviously, I wish we had completed them, but we saw a long pass attempt to start the game and then another one that was on the backward pass that Henne was looking to chuck downfield.

I'd keep it up. I can't help but think that it helped open things up early.

Posted by: Venom65437 ()
Date: November 15, 2009 07:02PM

Cause we only have one WR who can get deep and he can't catch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.