HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          You Know
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
You Know
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 08, 2009 09:09PM

Why haven't we seen Ginn and Bess on opposite sides of the field criss-crossing each other on kickoffs?

It's pretty obvious that the NFL has stood up and taken notice of Ted Ginn, Jr. returning the ball on kickoffs and are either kicking away from him or keying on him.

Now the obvious thing to do is let him get the kickoff and criss cross Bess and that would give kickoff teams fits.

If the kickoff goes to Bess, he criss crosses Ginn.

It would be like a kickoff wildcat.

Ginn and Bess could keep it sometimes and hand it off sometimes.

I mean, it's that the obvious thing to do now that Ginn has established the rep?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: You Know
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 09, 2009 02:33AM

This only works if Bess was considered even a minor threat, which he's not. If not the opposing team would just key on Ginn every time. If we still had Cobbs healthy this could work with Cobbs/Ginn, but we have no other threats for a big kickoff besides Ginn. NONE.

Posted by: joemama ()
Date: November 09, 2009 04:16AM

Setting up all kinds of fancy crap on returns isn't what is needed. What is need is for guys to hold their blocks and the returner to make good decisions. If the other teams kicks through the back of the end zone there is not much you can do. If the other team squibs then you get your upfield guys to field the ball well and say "thank you Ted for your mere presence giving us a free 15 yards every kickoff"

But really, the very last thing you want is to have an option as part of your kickoff return package. Any transfer of the ball multiplies the chances of a turnover. Have you seen how fast kick return plays happen? Your theoretical criss cross would be happening after the kicking team is down the field. You have to bring both guys, no matter who it is, into the center of the field, meaning that the kicking team can bring their tacklers into the middle of the field as well. You are limiting your return men in their options for where to run with the ball, and asking them, while a swarm of guys are around them, to read the coverage and execute a handoff option. Maybe this is the kind of thing that would work in Madden but on a real football field you would be setting your guys up for injury and turnovers if you did this on any kind of consistent basis.

Date: November 09, 2009 08:49AM

Montequi: They have always talked about Bess's ability for runs after catch. I'm just going on that. I could be wrong.

YourMama: You are right about the fact that we seem susceptible to fumbles. However, you can't run a team on the assumption that you can't hold on to the ball. With a weapon like Ginn, you've got to do something to keep them from all out keying on him.

YOu said "Your theoretical criss cross would be happening after the kicking team is down the field."I think you are overstating a legitimate point when you imply that the moment the kickoff is touched by the returner on the five yard line, the 11 defensive guys are right on him.

When the kick gets to the guy, he has a little bit more room before he meets the first potential tackler. After all, he himself has 10 (9 it would be with my suggestion) guys in front of him blocking.

Moreover, this play is more or less common in college football.

Lastly, both Ginn and Bess would be looking at the coverage down field and the person to whom the ball is kicked (probably Bess) makes the decision on the handoff.

I know, I know, how hard it has been for the Dolphins to hold on to the ball this year but you gotta solve that.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 09, 2009 08:58AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Montequi: They have always talked about Bess's
> ability for runs after catch. I'm just going on
> that. I could be wrong.
>
I'm not sure who has talked about that. I haven't seen much for YAC from Bess, and he's, at best, average as a punt returner.

Date: November 09, 2009 07:53PM

Actually one the announcers said it on the broadcast of this Patriot game.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: November 10, 2009 06:18AM

I think it would be a good thing to execute once or twice to make defenders look up and keep notice ... thus giving our blockers a shot at levewling them.

Putting the question or doubt in mind could be effective

- also swapping who gets the ball, (who they kick it to) ... leaves the option to hand off or not. Have one or two plays sets the stage for defenses to have the doubt and thus advantage miami.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.