HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is this a two-way street?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is this a two-way street?
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 04, 2009 04:32PM

Bob Griese was suspended for saying a South American race car driver was probably eating a taco.

But Gus Johnson has never even heard a peep from the comment he made when Chris Johnson broke a loooong TD run this past weekend. Here is the call from Johnson:

""First down and ten. Johnson . . . gets his shoulders square. Watch out! He's got getting away from the cops speed . . . touchdown!"

Opinions? I think if Griese would have said this, he would have threats against his life right now. Johnson on the other hand, no worries. No suspensions, not even a slap on the wrist. Why? Well you can figure this one out.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this a two-way street?
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 04, 2009 04:34PM

no, one is arguably race-based, the other is not

but let's see what BobH has to say about it....

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 04, 2009 05:32PM

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: November 04, 2009 05:41PM

I can't believe he said that. Call Al Sharpton. Call Jessie Jackson. Wait...a black guy said it? Nevermind.

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: November 04, 2009 05:53PM

It is what it is... and we would just be fueling the fire by arguing that point. Personally, i believe it shows the insecurities of the offended (race car Driver), and the inadequacy of the governing body (the League Officials...)

"I don't really care what happened in the past, I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them." - T. Sparano

Date: November 04, 2009 07:34PM

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: November 05, 2009 04:12AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand your sentiment, but what comment in
> there was singularly stereotypical of blacks?

Come on, are you serious? I don't make the sterotypes. They are what they are and a black man running from the cops (on foot) is pretty stereotypical. The disproportionately high percentage of black men in our jails and prisons bear that fact.

Personally, I don't have a problem with either statement but seriously, if Phil Simms had said it...he'd be in the unemployment line before the game was over...a testament to the stereotypical nature of the comment. And if he didn't lose his job immediately, Sharpton and Jackson would be all over CBS until it happened.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: November 05, 2009 04:19AM

Oh I have some NON-POLITICALLY correct humor I could unleash here... anbody wanna hear it?

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 05, 2009 05:20AM

Doug Wrote:
> Personally, i believe it shows the insecurities of the offended
> (race car Driver), ....

The most ironic aspect of this whole thing is that the race car driver WASN'T offended.

The day after the incident I read an article that basically quoted him as saying Who Cares, and he indicated clearly that he wasn't offended in the least.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: November 05, 2009 07:33AM

no

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: November 05, 2009 08:55AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:

> ""First down and ten. Johnson . . . gets his
> shoulders square. Watch out! He's got getting away
> from the cops speed . . . touchdown!"
>

RMBAO!!! OMG that is funny as hell, it is very racist but the cops do be chasin us... lol. I guess I dont mind a good racist joke as long as it is funny, i am still laughin.

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: November 05, 2009 12:16PM

This is only an issue because the people who cry "foul" are just looking for attention. It's pathetic. Why does everything everybody says these days need to be examined under a microscope? It is what it is.

Date: November 05, 2009 03:13PM

We all know a white announcer would have been fired.

---------------------

Posted by: Venom65437 ()
Date: November 05, 2009 03:29PM

That was funny as hell.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: November 06, 2009 05:32AM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> Oh I have some NON-POLITICALLY correct humor I
> could unleash here... anbody wanna hear it?
Yes

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 06, 2009 08:07AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> no, one is arguably race-based, the other is not
>
> but let's see what BobH has to say about it....

RESPONSE: That the Johnson comment has far more racial overtones than what Bob said!

Let's suppose that a white broadcaster said that about a white kid from the suburbs. People would be scratching their heads.

But a Black announcer (I am assuming he is I don't know him) saying that about a Black kid?

I think you have to be pretty naive to think its not race-based. It's at least "economically-deprived" based.

Date: November 06, 2009 08:25AM

Miami Reppa Wrote:
> RMBAO!!! OMG that is funny as hell, it is very
> racist but the cops do be chasin us... lol. I
> guess I dont mind a good racist joke as long as it
> is funny, i am still laughin.

RESPONSE: I'm glad you posted it gives me a chance to bring back up the subject of you defending the gangsta rappers.

There was probably no worse role model IN HIS PRIVATE LIFE than James Brown. But as far as his music is concerned, he graced our world with probably the most significant songs that uplifted the Black community.

No. 1 (probably the most significant song of all time) SAY IT LOUD! (I'm Black and I'm Proud).

Before that song, we were ashamed to be called Black. Calling us Black was only one step above calling us the "N" word. What James Brown did was to make us recognize by hating Blackness, we were hating ourselves.

No. 2 King Heroin, a song that attempted to address the ravages of drug use and what it does to our community.

No. 3 This is a Man's world (but it wouldn't be nothing without a woman or a girl). This is a song for our sisters.

Now let's look at You, Miami Reppa. You defend gangsta rappers that call ourselves the "N" word and call our women "hoes." Yeah, that's a great improvement on James Brown.

YEAH, IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC!

Why do you think if you watch a newsreel of a typical high school in 1958, you see slick-back hair, long sideburns and jackets? DUHHH!!! ELVIS PRESLEY.

Why do you think if you watch a newsreel of a typical high school in 1968, you see long hair on the men? DUHHH!!!! The BEATLES.

You can go on to Punk, etc.

It's crazy to say that music does not affect the thoughts of young people.

Calling women "hoes" and talking about "I'll pop a cap inna sucka!" glorifies and encourages thug life and it distresses me to think you are working on a solution to the swine flu if you don't have enough sense to see that!

Date: November 06, 2009 10:13AM

Chyren,

Do you think more should have been brought up about Johnson's comment? Griese almost seen the wood shed. Johnson hasnt heard a peep? You agree or disagree at what has happened?

---------------------

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: November 06, 2009 10:41AM

Please tell me why one of the major news channels yesterday did the story on the tragic shooting at Ft. Hood yesterday, and never mentioned that the shooter was Muslim? We all know why, and it just sucks.

Date: November 06, 2009 12:19PM

Well, like I said, A & O, if you want to be sensitive, what Johnson said was far worse than what Griese said.

It may be stereotypical to say that middle eastern people eat hummus. Is it presumptuous to make a joke about Middle Easterners eating hummus? Perhaps.

Is racist a too harsh of a term? In my opinion.

Is it presumptuous to make a joke about a Black probably being out eating fried chicken or (I know he's Colombian now) a Hispanic eating Tacos? Perhaps.

Is racist too harsh a term? In my opinion.

But I think you get far closer when you talk about someone growing up in a neighborhood and learning to run fast, not from playing football, but from running from the police, a very very negative image.

It is far more degrading.

Johnson should have been taken to the woodshed, at least privately.

BUT HE SHOULD HAVE PUBLICLY APOLOGIZED LIKE GRIESE HAD TO and I would hope that the apology would indicate that there are a lot of Black young men in the worse community devoting their lives to attempting to go to college or to playing sports or even to making music and trying to become something OTHER than a street wise person who runs fast from the cops.

And to me, running from the cops, unlike running from the Klan, means that you have probably done something wrong.

Date: November 06, 2009 12:48PM

Thanks, I was just wondering your take on this.

---------------------

Date: November 06, 2009 02:20PM

OK chyren I see I didnt knock you out the first time so ding ding ding!!! here goes round 2. My problem is people who dont listen to a particular type of music but feel they have the position to critisize it. It is like me saying things about opera when I have never really listened to it, sure I can parrot things I hear on tv but if I am not a student of the music how can I really post judgement.

"Gansta rap" is given most credit to a group called NWA (@iggaz with attitudes) back in 1989. I dont know how it was when you were raised (I am sure worst then in my era) but being black ment that you were constantly harrased by the police. I myself have been in minimal trouble in my entire life yet managed to be harrassed on a regular basis in my late teens and young adult life. I have even be tossed in the wagon and handcuffed to a rail in a police station and to this day I am unclear why.

Rap music began as a platform for young black males living in the inner city and urban communities to speak out on the injustice which existed in there communities. Everything from racism, being poor to education of the youth. The group NWA used this platform to speak on the physical abuse of blacks by the cops (a point that white america did not want to believe until rodney king's beatdown was captured on film, and they still got off!). So if I have not been clear you seem to be harping on a small portion of the body of rap music. It is not all about gang glory and nappy headed hoes, again please tell me what songs you are listening to that I can appreciate your position. I can send you scores of rap songs with heavy messages which are as good as, and maybe better than some of the old school cats that you just mentioned.

In closing I do not disagree with your point of the brain washing that music can do to young people. However as I pointed out the problem is NOT the music rather lack of leadership and positive role models for these kids. If not the music they would find some other vice to follow (gangs for example). I think blaming it on the music is a cope out. I remember when a person stepped off of a building because he saw it on a superman movie so he thought that he could fly... so do you now blame superman? How about freddy kruger killing people on night mare on elm street, do we now say he is responsible if the murder rate increases? come on lets be real.

your truely... reppa

Date: November 06, 2009 02:24PM

Miami Reppa Wrote:
> Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > ""First down and ten. Johnson . . . gets his
> > shoulders square. Watch out! He's got getting
> away
> > from the cops speed . . . touchdown!"
> >
>
> RMBAO!!! OMG that is funny as hell, it is very
> racist but the cops do be chasin us... lol. I
> guess I dont mind a good racist joke as long as it
> is funny, i am still laughin.

Now that the humor has worn off, yes i have become offended... I take back the above comments for I was not in my right state of mind. These comments are racist (but still funny grinning smiley ). I think I would have to hear the audio, to really decide...

Date: November 06, 2009 03:10PM

Reppa, you can admit. It is pretty obvious I am white. And if I had made that comment as an anouncer you would be looking for me outside of the stadium...and not to go buy me a drink either!

---------------------

Date: November 06, 2009 03:33PM

NWA of the 80's and gangsta rap of today are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

NWA were political and about uplifting.

Gangsta rap is negative and about affirming the worst things in our community and saying "What about it, sucka! I'll bust a cap in you if you don't like it."

You don't have to hear every gangsta rap song to get the general idea.

Hey, I've been hassled by the police. Two instances, approximately November of 1965, I was a boxboy at ABC Supermarket (no longer in existence) on 54th and Main in LA. (Do a little math and you will figure out this was only 3 months after the Watts Riot.)

I was being driven home at midnight to my grandmothers on 59th Place and San Pedro by my fellow boxboy Milton Mills, who went to an exclusive Catholic Boys school. As we approached 59th Place and Main, I saw that the police were apparently investigating a burglary on that corner.

Normally Milton would disregard red lights but when he saw that he stopped. It made me laugh and I said, "You were gonna run that light until you saw that cop." One of the many cops then came over to our car with his gun out and said "What's so funny? What's so funny!" I was in the passenger side and said nothing. Milton said, "What's your problem." The cop said, "You know what this is? You know what this is?" Milton said, "Yeah, it's a gun and it should be in your f_cking holster."

I said, "Milton, stop it." I then said, "Everything's fine officer." He was startled and just walked back.

In the one block I had before Milton reached my home I said, "Milton are you crazy? What if he had shot you. He would have had to do me just to make it look right. Then he probably would have put a throw down on the street."

Milton said, "Hey, I don't care, I'm going back." Luckily I saw him the next day at work. Don't know whether he really went back or not or whether they were there.

Should I get into any of my Berkeley stories, that had to do with me being a student and not a Black. I remember during People's Park I had come back from picking up a friend from England at the airport in San Francisco and we got totally shook down by the San Francisco Tact Squad that was garrisoned on the streets of Berkeley during that situation. When they found out we had come from San Francisco, they were totally interested. My friend's (acutally my girlfriend's brother) English accent did nothing to assure them we were telling the truth. They stripped my friends bags down to the T right there on the street.

Hey, there are bad cops who abuse their authority and Contempt of Cop is one of the crimes you don't want to commit.

The difference is that in the 60's, probably the worst that could happen to a brother was getting hassled by the police.

Today, I would much rather have my sons have an encounter with the police than an encounter with a gangsta!

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 06, 2009 06:13PM

this is the first I've heard of this outside of this site

here's what they said about it on herald.com--I agree this is about people who want to be offended all the time being offended--

CBS' Gus Johnson apologized, conditionally, this week after he used these words to describe a run by Tennessee's Chris Johnson: ``Johnson gets his shoulders square. Watch out. He's got getting-away-from-the-cops speed. Touchdown.''

Gus Johnson, who is black, said in a statement first issued to USA Today: ``If there is a perception of racism in this analogy, it is not coming from me. People of all races have run from the law.''

Johnson should have avoided the analogy, but this seems mostly a case of some viewers looking for something to be offended about, rather than Johnson saying something offensive. ``However, to those that were offended, I apologize,'' he said

Date: November 06, 2009 08:32PM

Date: November 06, 2009 08:42PM

Date: November 06, 2009 08:52PM

Date: November 07, 2009 08:10AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Reppa, you can admit. It is pretty obvious I am
> white. And if I had made that comment as an
> anouncer you would be looking for me outside of
> the stadium...and not to go buy me a drink either!

Hey aqua, call me ignorant but I can honestly say that when I first read the comment I assumed that gus johnson was a white guy (yes the reppa has not clue who gus johnson is). I took it as a white guy making a comment about a fast black kid with get away from cop speed and still found the comment very funny (actually it still makes me chuckle and I would not be surprised if I used that phrasing around my buddies)...

The fact that he is black kinda explains the comment because it is in the phrasing maybe thats why I was not offended initially. If he said that chris johnson probably got his speed because he is used to running away from cops then I am sure that I would have found that phrasing offensive regardless of what race said it. I dont know if the two phrasings sound different to you but to me the difference is like day and night...

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.