HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ted Ginn Jr....A Bargain?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ted Ginn Jr....A Bargain?
Posted by: miamid45 ()
Date: November 02, 2009 09:59AM

His 2009 salary is listed at 2.35 million.

Compare that to:

*Terrel Owens: 6.5 million
* Roy Williams: 6.3 million
* T.J. Housh..: $5.5 million
* Calvin Johnson 3.5 million
* Lee Evans : $3.1 million

Similar numbers, but with more TD's ( yes thanks to yesterday via special teams)....BUT production is what it is.

The kid deserves much of the criticism as a WR, but imagine paying these guys above more to produce less?

I hope we are very careful on the Free Agency front next year when it comes to WR's:

STAY AWAY FROM:
BOLDIN (Injury prone)!

My choice would be to take a chance on Marshall...would give us the size and attitude to once again slam the Jets and the rest of the AFC East!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ted Ginn Jr....A Bargain?
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 02, 2009 10:11AM

Just warning you, your gonna get slammed for this.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 02, 2009 10:19AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just warning you, your gonna get slammed for this.

Not by me...........

Owens for example.........

How many games has terrell owens helped his team win compared to ginn.

Terrell owens - 0
Ted Ginn - 2 Both jet games........Including that long TD against revis in the first game.

And terrell owens gets paid 3 times more than ginn.

In other words......Ted ginn is a clear bargain.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: November 02, 2009 10:44AM

LOL LOL

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: November 02, 2009 10:46AM

miamid45 Wrote:
> His 2009 salary is listed at 2.35 million.
>
> Compare that to:
>
> *Terrel Owens: 6.5 million
> * Roy Williams: 6.3 million
> * T.J. Housh..: $5.5 million
> * Calvin Johnson 3.5 million
> * Lee Evans : $3.1 million
>
> Similar numbers, but with more TD's ( yes thanks
> to yesterday via special teams)....BUT production
> is what it is.
>
> The kid deserves much of the criticism as a WR,
> but imagine paying these guys above more to
> produce less?
>
> I hope we are very careful on the Free Agency
> front next year when it comes to WR's:
>
> STAY AWAY FROM:
> BOLDIN (Injury prone)!
>
> My choice would be to take a chance on
> Marshall...would give us the size and attitude to
> once again slam the Jets and the rest of the AFC
> East!

Marshall has turned his attitude around. Someone that knows him must have gotten to him. Anyway, the Broncos are now going to pay him back for the suspension. That's right they are going to pay him back.
At this point, I don't see the Broncos giving him up.
However, with his attitude adjustment, I'd love to have him.

Date: November 02, 2009 10:47AM

I'm expecting to get slammed on this one.

Hopefully we get that true No. 1 receiver next year and remove that label from Ginn's resume. A special teams player and some offensive snaps is what we should expect from him.

Yesterday was the blueprint to what he should have been doing all along as a player on our roster. Sadly being taken @ #9 brought with it, unrealistic expectations as a WR.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: November 02, 2009 11:05AM

I find it somewhat amazing how we tend to look at the facts we choose to look at to make our points:

The salaries quoted are negotiated before the season began. In the case of all 5 of the above, each had earned (in prior years real preformance results to justify the money)

In the case of TO & Roy Williams, each was expected to be the darling missing piece this year, and haven't been.

In the case of T. Ginn the receiver, his contract was done based on the draft slot # 9.

1. let me say first ... I'm real happy for Ginn, he needed some juice, and the shot of confidence may help him.

2. I'm not sure that he may have also needed the kick in the pants of the last week to get him motivated.

3. As mentioned in another post ... I think Ginn's weakness is in concentrating on catching when he is in traffic.
- That is a severe liability as a WR, and even so as a punt returner.
- Not so muchg for a kickoff returner, as the team is usually not on you when you receive the ball.

4. To realist and the other coaches ... is that something that can be "drilled" or coached into a guy, or an instinct that you have or don't have?

Posted by: Venom65437 ()
Date: November 02, 2009 11:11AM

Ginn would be great if we played the Jets every week. Only team he shows up for. LoL.

Posted by: 561_Dolphins ()
Date: November 02, 2009 11:22AM

I wouldn't necessarily call him a "bargain", but Im certainly glad we picked him over that bum Brady Quinn.

I know Cleveland is a torn-down franchise, but hell...he continues to get beat out by Derek Anderson.

But anyway...Ginn, right now, is a great KICK RETURNER - always has been, but if he works on catching the football then I think we have ourselves a future Pro-bowler for years to come.

The speed this guy has is unbelieveable.....eye popping smiley

Date: November 02, 2009 11:25AM

DUDE! That second return was soooo funny! The announcer were like "there is a guy with an angle...OH NO!! TED GINN IS GONE!!!".

HAHAHA!!! I laughed so hard at that! His speed is seriously ridiculous. The dude has world class speed.

---------------------

Posted by: DVDon ()
Date: November 02, 2009 11:28AM

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: November 02, 2009 11:37AM

I'd like to see Ginn on the receiving end of some kick return reverses and fakes. we've already seen him 'break ankles' of defenders, how about with a spread out defense and 70 yards to field ahead of him... sounds like it could work?

that would be huge for his confidence.

another thing...

this guy can FLY! watching his TD returns yesterday looked like his old OSU highlight reel (which i must have watched at least 20 times back in '07)... first maneuvering around defenders then blowing by them, it looked like they were all in slow-motion in comparison.

on a similar note, I'm not sure if he would do as well in PR situations. I'd be scared as hell watching a defender lay into him while trying to field the punt... i don't think he could take it...

"I don't really care what happened in the past, I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them." - T. Sparano

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: November 02, 2009 11:38AM

I have a better question. If he can make the cuts to avoid getting tackled, why cant he fake out the DBs.

- Theory: Maybe he makes hit cut so fast and then cuts back before the db has reacted to the first one and is thus still in place to defense him smoking smiley(just kidding guys).

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 02, 2009 11:43AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> DUDE! That second return was soooo funny! The
> announcer were like "there is a guy with an
> angle...OH NO!! TED GINN IS GONE!!!".
>
> HAHAHA!!! I laughed so hard at that! His speed is
> seriously ridiculous. The dude has world class
> speed.

And it was probably that homer phill sims too.....He was clearly leaning towards the jets the whole game. You could smell it in his breath.

On one of the miami penalties he goes.........Good penalty good call by the ref.......Luckily the ref said there was no penalty after all.

Date: November 02, 2009 11:47AM

Wonder what Phil had to say after the game?

---------------------

Date: November 02, 2009 12:02PM

Thank God that penalty was reversed, as it would have been on Ginn and would have negated Ricky's 30 yard gain...I think his ass would have been cemented to the bench and the 2 TD teturns would have never transpired!

Date: November 02, 2009 12:15PM

Seems I remember some people here saying that he couldn't return kickoffs also. Just saying....

Don't expect this every week. But I would like to see him get us good field position 2 out of 3 times.

Did anyone watch Percy with the Vikings last night? Dam, I wish we could have drafted him!!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 02, 2009 01:22PM

Date: November 02, 2009 01:35PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Just warning you, your gonna get slammed for this.

haha, I love this guy

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: November 02, 2009 01:56PM

Percy Harvin is a beast... did you see the close up of him, guy has got guns! no way can he be compared physically to the linear Ted Ginn.

"I don't really care what happened in the past, I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them." - T. Sparano

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: November 04, 2009 09:18PM

This is a lame argument... you can find just as many receivers getting paid less than Ginn and producing more as you can people getting paid more and producing less.

Why not just only pay guys that will play for minimum salary and then be stoked if any of them score a TD?? Because you don't win prizes for "investing wisely" in football. All that matters is making plays and winning games... and as a WR Ginn hasn't done much to help in either of those areas.

AND: everyone has bad years... why not look at production over the last 3 years?? Do that and each and every one of the guys you posted far outperforms what Ginn has done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2009 09:24PM by grooves12.

Date: November 05, 2009 07:09AM

Did I miss something here Grooves? What was the argument?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.