HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The key question for next week
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The key question for next week
Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: November 02, 2009 04:29AM

The key challenge for the FINS offense is ... how can we burn the defense when they stack nine in the box - Jets key to shutting down the run game.

1. I think its going to be RB & TE relief passes, screens, and an occassional trick play (pass back/ flea flicker, or wildcat option for a hit down field).

What do you think we'll do different?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The key question for next week
Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 02, 2009 04:50AM

They'll be looking for wildcat formation and flea flickers.

They'll also be looking for Ginn deep, which we must attempt multiple times whether it works or not, to keep them honest. The bomb to Ginn is a low risk play overall, with a potential huge payoff.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 02, 2009 05:08AM

How do we beat the pats defense when they stack 9 men in the LOS........?

We need to throw deep a few times and continue to do it throughout the game. If it works then we soften the defense and they have to back up. If not, then its going to be a long day.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 02, 2009 05:31AM

The key will be how will OUR defense stop THEM!!! We need to apply heavy pressure on Brady. If that means leaving Smith 1-on-1 with Moss on occassion, that's ok with me. I think Smith can do well against Moss. I'd like to see us let Wake loose in place of Porter.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 02, 2009 05:43AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to see us let Wake loose
> in place of Porter.

Agreed i mean, we lose nothing by putting in wake instead of porter. They are both strictly passrushers and it looks like porter is slowing down in that department.

Wake seems to have a burst of speed on his way to the qb. I hope they put him in and he knocks brady down a few times.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 02, 2009 05:59AM

agreed that the key question is whether our defense will be able to stop the pats AT ALL. I am actually really concerned. If the D plays like it did in the second half of the NO game or even the 2d half of the Jets game, I can see them puting up 40 points on us. If that happens, it doesn't really matter what our offense does--even at our best we can't keep up in a shootout with the Pats.
the D needs to get turnovers and play its best game of the season for us to have a shot. I'm going to be at the game so I hope we can do it!

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: November 02, 2009 06:21AM

It seems to me, that for the first time this year, the passing lanes weren't so open. I know Gin has sucked as a WR, but we have to admit, that when he is in there, the defense has to keep track of him. Especially the safeties! If we want to keep 8-9 out of the box, then I think he needs to be in there. They just need to make passes to him be down field or in stride across the middle. Leave the harder sideline and back of the endzone catches to the better WR's.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 02, 2009 07:06AM

I believe that the key question on offense is whether NY provided a blueprint for shutting down our offense AND whether any other team can execute it. My thoughts are 'probably' and 'very few, I think'. We punked their D last time, and they were all amped up, they have the talent and, let's face it, Rex Ryan has defended our WC very well 3 of 4 times the past two years. I just about guarantee we'll see more passing out of the WC. What we really need to see is better success running out of the standard formation. NE will give Grove, Thomas and Smiley a chance to earn their money. Wilfork is a beast, but I think the NYJ have more talent in their front 7 overall than NE (probably more talent at every defensive unit, overall).

On defense, the key question will be whether we can put heavy and consistent pressure on Brady. We sacked Brees more in one half than in the rest of his season, and it caused more picks in that half than in the rest of his season. Why we have not been able to provide pressure on QBs in the 2nd halves of games is a mystery...one that must be solved prior to next Sunday.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 02, 2009 07:17AM

The Jets defended the WC pretty well, except in short yardage situations. This is where the WC excells. If we need 2-3 yards, it's REALLY tough to stop!

Posted by: Venom65437 ()
Date: November 02, 2009 11:25AM

Well our OL has to play up to their normal level for sure, but I'm sure we'll bring it.

How about a deep PA pass to open the game?

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 02, 2009 11:27AM

Man, to their credit, that Jet D is pretty good. They held Brees to only 1 td. So, dont hold too much on our O this past week. They really did play a tough D.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 02, 2009 02:52PM

The Jets did what the Saints did in the second half of our game with them. They put 9 guys at the line of scrimmage, with the safeties only about 10 yards back. And they went into all out attack mode with run blitzes and "send the house" pass blitzes. So, it's been 1.5 games, and it is certainly a blueprint other teams will attempt to follow, especially considering it's what Baltimore did to us twice last season.

We have to fix multiple things to really combat this. Number one, we need to pick up all the blitzers in the interior line. If you do that, you can use 3 step drops, and Henne can also step up into the pocket as the other blitzers come in from the outside. The problem with this is that we have not shown much ability to handle this.

Number two, we need our receivers to get open quicker. They have to give Henne a target. Henne has been very conservative with the ball, not forcing throws, and that's good. But it causes him to hesitate on these quick throws when the guy is not open. This is going to be a problem for us because our receivers show little ability to get open at all, let alone beat their man in the first 5 yards.

And number three, Henne needs to get better at learning what his best matchup is before the snap. This is going to take time, it only comes with experience. The elite QBs know where their best matchup is, regardless of what the hot read may be. It allows them to make quicker throws in these situations.

It seems like a pretty daunting task for us to get this all squared away. But, Henning is a smart guy with a ton of experience. I think he'll have some answers. We need just enough to get the defense to play us honest. And as much as people may not like it, Ted Ginn is probably the key to forcing this kind of defense to back off. If we can hit him for a big play or two, the D will back off in a hurry.

On defense, we need a more consistent pass rush. In the last 2 games, we have blitzed a lot in the first half, and it was effective. We've backed off the blitz in the second half, and generated no pass rush with our linemen. It's understandable to not want to blitz all the time. It leaves one on one coverage and when the blitz doesn't get there, it leads to big plays downfield. But, our base pass rush is so anemic, we're letting the QB stand there all day in a perfect pocket, allowing them to make perfect throws downfield. At some point, the coaching staff has to accept that we can't rush the passer without the blitz. And if we let Tom Brady stand there all day, he'll light us up for 50 points.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: November 02, 2009 03:42PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> On defense, we need a more consistent pass rush.
> In the last 2 games, we have blitzed a lot in the
> first half, and it was effective. We've backed off
> the blitz in the second half, and generated no
> pass rush with our linemen. It's understandable to
> not want to blitz all the time.

I agree with not wanting to blitz all the time but I can't recall ONE blitz in the second half of the past two games. Why do we stop blitzing completely? Was it fatigue? Was it the leads we had?

We're seeing really good QB's this year...Brees, P. Manning, and Brady twice upcoming. Definitely three of the top five in the League. And Rivers and Ryan are no slouches. What a rookie year for Smith and Davis!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 02, 2009 03:54PM

Isnt that the Blueprint to beat most teams?

Blitz the house directly up the middle. Seams to have worked against Gaydy and Manning on about every occasion someone has done it.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 02, 2009 04:16PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Isnt that the Blueprint to beat most teams?
>
> Blitz the house directly up the middle. Seams to
> have worked against Gaydy and Manning on about
> every occasion someone has done it.

Pressure up the middle is always key. But blitzing up the middle isn't always the answer. The good teams, and good QBs, will make you pay for being overly aggressive. Think back to the Dan Marino heyday. When teams got to him up the middle, like the 49ers in the Super Bowl, we struggled. But, most teams couldn't beat the inside blocking of Stephenson, Newman, and Kooch. And Dan made them pay.

And we're also not taking about the all out blitzing like we've seen the last 1.5 games. We're not having just an extra pass rusher sent after Henne. The Saints and Jets were sending 6, 7, even 8 guys in the pass rush. That's playing with fire. It leaves a defense wide open to the big play. But, we need to prove we're capable of hitting some of those big plays. Right now, and for quite a while, teams do not fear our passing game in the least. Until we rectify that, expect a steady diet of those blitzes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.