HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Missing Penny yet?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Missing Penny yet?
Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: November 01, 2009 10:54AM

Chad Henne has had a horrible game so far. Penny would have at least been able to game manage better, read the defense, and get off quicker passes. Holding it all day, being out of position, and backing up 15 yards on a crucial drive is not what we want out of our QB.

Don't get me wrong, I like Henne. But he's a rookie and he'll need all year to improve.

Is there any doubt that we have a weak offense? Can we admit that? Or are we going to pull a sock over our heads and pretend the defense is the only side of the ball that's on the field? We need a functioning defense. We need to make some moves next season.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Missing Penny yet?
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 01, 2009 10:55AM

Penny would have been under pressure all game. No, I don't miss Penny.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: November 01, 2009 10:56AM

Much as I couldn't pin our early losses on the QB, I can't pin this one on Henne. Our defense is putrid.

Posted by: sconigli ()
Date: November 01, 2009 10:56AM

Henne will be fine. He had a tough day though.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 01, 2009 10:57AM

No...cause with Penny starting we were 0-3 SAM!!!!

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?!?!

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Miamidolp1 ()
Date: November 01, 2009 10:58AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No...cause with Penny starting we were 0-3
> SAM!!!!
>
>
> ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?!?!

Absolutely agree.

Date: November 01, 2009 11:13AM

We were 0-3 because our O line wouldn't block and the wildcat couldn't get cranked. Once the blocking started, and the wildcat worked, a we caught a few passes in between, we won a few.

But 14 points came from special teams and 7 points came from Jason Taylor. Those points did NOT come from Chad Henne and our offense.

Overall, I'm glad Henne is in there, but I'm just sayin. We were lucky we won this one.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: November 01, 2009 11:14AM

The O-Line didn't block well in this game, either.

Date: November 01, 2009 11:17AM

They're pretty solid, but the D on the Jets brought everybody. Hopefully next game he'll get more protection. Actually, coach needs to let him be in the shotgun, not pretending the play action under center when they know he's going to throw it.

Posted by: joenhre ()
Date: November 01, 2009 11:37AM

(R/J)ay Wrote:
> The O-Line didn't block well in this game, either.

Yeah the Offensive line is still too inconsistent. They were kind of exposed today. They played weak and slow today. What did the offense have today a little over 100 yards of offense, less than 50 rushing? Yeah that's just sad no matter how you look at it.

For all the heat Tedd Ginn has been taking, HE WON THIS GAME. Without those 14 points we're looking at a 2-5 record, last in the division staring at a salivating Patriots offense ready to feed on our Defense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2009 11:38AM by joenhre.

Date: November 01, 2009 11:44AM

And without Jason Taylor's touchdown, we don't win this game, either.

Bottom line is offense didn't show up, which actually surprised me. I thought we would see some receivers step up today. I also expected Henne to get knocked around, which he did, but I still expected us to be better. But when we came out with Ronnie running out of base offense, and Henne having to back up and throw, I knew it would be a long game. I am shocked we didn't start out with the wildcat.

Posted by: sconigli ()
Date: November 01, 2009 12:12PM

Henne seems like a tough SOB. I like the kid. I think he will be fine for what the Dolphins want to do offensively.

Posted by: miamid45 ()
Date: November 01, 2009 12:39PM

Great experience for the kid...that touchdown drive finishing with Haynos, was run well. Yes, he had an off game, but they'll work on him on unloading the ball quicker to avoid the blitz.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 01, 2009 12:51PM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 01, 2009 01:14PM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 01, 2009 01:31PM

miamid45 Wrote:
> Great experience for the kid...that touchdown
> drive finishing with Haynos, was run well. Yes,
> he had an off game, but they'll work on him on
> unloading the ball quicker to avoid the blitz.

The problem with this is that to do so, you need wide receivers who can get open quickly. We don't have any of those. They struggle to get open, period, let alone do it quickly.

Date: November 01, 2009 01:52PM

I like Henne a lot don't get me wrong but i think Penny would have done maybe a little better because he has had more experience but I think Henne did alright. Phinsfan is right he had no one to throw to.

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: November 01, 2009 02:44PM

I don't miss him one bit. Henne had some passes dropped and was dropped himself on several occasions. He doesn't have the WR's he needs to make big plays. If he had better timing with hartline, they would have hooked up for another big play today, but he overthrew him.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 01, 2009 03:48PM

Put it this way.......Henne did not give the game away with a stupid int. He played it safe.

All he needs to learn is to get rid of the ball when been pressured and not take the sack. Henne will be fine.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 01, 2009 04:13PM

When you consider what Henne was up against today, he did fine. We had no running game to keep the Jets' defense honest, he found himself in obvious passing situations, he was under a heavy pass rush the whole game, and he has no receivers to bail him out. He took care of the ball and didn't take unnecessary risks.

Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: November 01, 2009 04:43PM

I thought Henne did OK, considering the circumstances. Yeah, you want to see him show some awareness and chuck the ball out of bounds when he knows he's out of the tackle box and won't get flagged. But I'd rather see him take a sack than turn the ball over or draw a penalty.

He'll get better with time. Right now you have to expect him to have some good games and some bad games... today wasn't one of his best efforts (but the receivers and O-line didn't help a lot) and we still won thanks to a solid team effort... that should help his confidence, and the confidence of the whole team. Personally I'm moderately optimistic right now...

Date: November 01, 2009 04:45PM

I like the fact that Henne didn't panic and lead that last TD drive.

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: November 01, 2009 08:19PM

I don't know if Pennington would have done anything different but with a different type of QB it's hard to say but Pennington is known for his accuracy and maybe with him in there plays would have been called differently, and last year we would control the ball in the 4th Q and give up very few points.( Pennington lead us to a div championship.)

I don't know... part of me wants Pennington in there for the experience so we can follow up on a very successful last season but another part of me wants Henne to gain as much experience as possible because he could very well be the future star for Miami and can throw the long bomb.

Man......

Date: November 02, 2009 12:23AM

Yep, like razorghost says, the plays would have been called differently, and we probably would have moved down the field more methodically. But these are growing pains for Henne.

Regarding all the comments about WR, I don't disagree. That's been a glaring problem, and we need better receivers and tight ends. But Henne also has to find a way to get his man the ball, coverage or not. Or else run, or throw it away and not take a 15 yard sack.

Phinsfan it's good to hear some perspective from the stadium, and it did look like we were covered pretty good by the Jets. But in the beginning of the game I saw a QB off rhythm and not settled down. Hartline was way overthrown and that was a big deal because it was 3rd down. Then next series incomplete to Ginn 3rd down, and next series incomplete to Fasano.

As far as the O line, they played sub-par the beginning of the season. Yes, the Colts game was the ball-control game and we should have won it. But the first game of the season Jake was taken to school and the whole line crumbled. As far as the Charger game, Penny got hurt and I don't recall the O line being all that great in protection or creating running lanes for ronnie, regardless of the stats. In any event, the O line made steady improvement as the season progressed. The line may have taken a setback last night though.

Next game, we need to bring back the wildcat early and keep pounding it. They need to have Ronnie throw it a little. I know Ronnie is looking for opportunities - Fasano needs to get open. Henne also needs to play a little better.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 02, 2009 07:35AM

Have you seen Henne's arm? Remember Pennington's passes?

I think Pennington was a better field general. I doubt we would have had as many sacks or lost the yardage that we did on them with Pennington, but on the whole, I think we are better off.

Date: November 02, 2009 09:19AM

We are definately a better team with Henne. Overall, Henne is more useful to us. Pennington caused *ZERO* fear in any defense or their coordinator. Henne on the other hand is the exact opposite. They dont have much film on the guy, his numbers since taking over as the starter are great including his win/loss record, and the fact he has shown the arm strength to hit the deep ball has been perfect for our running game. I loved Pennington and as someone else has already stated, he was a great field general. But thats about where it ends.

Henne, IN MY OPINION, has surprisingly showed more poise and confidence that what I seen out of Pennington. I think Pennington knows he has weaknesses and when times get tough, he started to panic a little.

Henne's biggest weakness is just his lack of experience. But sometimes, thats not a bad thing.

---------------------

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: November 02, 2009 09:24AM

Agree 100% A&O.

Henne is going to be good once he figures out how to avoid pressure and gets some targets.

Date: November 02, 2009 09:27AM

At least we're no longer arguing who is better between:

Fiedler and Feeley
Beck and Lemon
Culpepper and Harrington

Ahh...how times change!! It's good to be having this discussion between Penny and Henne. Both are actually good QBs!

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: November 02, 2009 09:28AM

LOL

Why oh why would we get our undies in a bunch about something that is a mute point?

Penny is done for the year.

It just doesn't matter if he is no longer an option.

Date: November 02, 2009 09:44AM

Your right Jim. But its really funny that somebody would want Penny back when we are actually winning with Henne. Kind of an oxymoron, right!?

---------------------

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.