HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The Offense
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The Offense
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: October 31, 2009 11:55AM

Lost in the meltdown of the Saints game, the bad calls, and the Ted Ginn hoopla is the fact that we have scored 103 points in the last 3 games. For a Dolphin team to top that, you have to go back to the 1994 team, which scored 104 points in games 12-14 of that season. That stretch included the "fake spike" game against the Jets. I know that one of our TDs in the last 3 games was a Vontae Davis TD, but that 1994 stretch included a TD by Troy Vincent.

Think about that. The best 3 game stretch in 15 years. Even without a "go to" WR.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Offense
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 12:17PM

Thats why i say its not the offense who is in trouble. IMO its the defense.

I keep saying it. We are weak at LB and safety. And now crowder is questionable against the jets.

Next year we need IMO

1.LB
2.S
3.DT
4.WR
5.TE

Those are the most needed positions.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 31, 2009 12:21PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And now crowder is questionable against the jets.
>
I've been really worried about the fact that we haven't really addressed the ILB position in the last 2 drafts. Crowder sat out the KC game last year, and Torbor and Ayodele played TERRIBLE in that game. Meanwhile the Pat White experiment has been a bust and Nalbone was recently cut. I STILL want us to sign Zach Thomas. Even in a wheel chair he's better than the other guys we have!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 12:55PM

montequi Wrote:

> I've been really worried about the fact that we
> haven't really addressed the ILB position in the
> last 2 drafts.

The have gone for the home run and concentrated........On the OL Jake And thomas.............DLine....Merling Lankford....

This year its Dontae........Smith which looked like it worked out for now....

Maybe the third year will be....LB...>I think we need to pick maybe 3 and hope someone develops quick

Crowder sat out the KC game last
> year, and Torbor and Ayodele played TERRIBLE in
> that game.

thats why they were able to score so many points against us. That and the weather.

Meanwhile the Pat White experiment has
> been a bust and Nalbone was recently cut. I STILL
> want us to sign Zach Thomas. Even in a wheel
> chair he's better than the other guys we have!

I agree Zach is still better than some of what we have. Looks like going for bigger sized LBs which is parcells choice doesnt work out all the time.....Ayaodele...Torbor....

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: October 31, 2009 03:26PM

Even though our ILB are quite unspectacular, our run defense has been very good. Our defense has really been burned by 3 things:
1) An inconsistent pass rush, which allows opposing QBs much too comfortable a pocket, and that allows them to make great throws
2) A complete inability to cover an elite TE
3) Giving up big plays downfield, sometimes in spite of coverage

I'm not sure that #2 can be addressed all that well. Gonzalez, Clark, Gates, and Shockey are going to have big days against a lot of defenses. We did shut down Dustin Keller, but he's not in their class.

And I think #3 is directly related to #1. A more consistent pass rush would not allow such good throws downfield. Porter and JT are our best pass rushers, and both are similar. They often beat their man immediately, or get stonewalled. When they get stonewalled, our secondary is in real trouble. Notice how many times in a game the opposing QB is throwing from a perfect pocket. And notice how rarely that happens for us. When the Giants won the Super Bowl the last time, they had a pass rush that was a factor on every play. We have guys who can make big plays with their pass rush, but we need guys who can consistently put heat on. It's not about sacks, it's about QB pressures, hurries, and knockdowns.

That said, WR is still a huge need. Let's face it, Hartline is a 4.55 guy, and he's our 2nd fastest wideout. Bess, Camarillo, and Turner are all well below average with their speed. We have to have the slowest group of receivers in the NFL. And we don't have a "go to" guy that our QB can lean on.

Posted by: Venom65437 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 06:56PM

If we get a true #1 WR our offense could be an unstoppable monster. Our run game is ridiculous, we have a QB that can make all the throws, and we have complementary WR's already in place. We just need the go to guy.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: October 31, 2009 07:45PM

Venom65437 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If we get a true #1 WR our offense could be an
> unstoppable monster. Our run game is ridiculous,
> we have a QB that can make all the throws, and we
> have complementary WR's already in place. We just
> need the go to guy.

easy on the Qb thing, he has only had 3 starts. And we don't have a good Tight End. Ronnie can sign elsewhere at seasons end and Ricky only has 1 more year left before he retires. This offense is far far FAR from a monster

Posted by: Venom65437 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 09:30PM

I just said he can make all the throws, and that it COULD be one, not saying for sure that it would cause obviously I don't know. You can't deny the points were putting up with our half assed offense right now.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: November 01, 2009 04:10AM

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: November 01, 2009 07:08AM

I think if we move Ginn to DB and V.Davis to safety we would have a strong, young defensive back field. Then we can draft or pick up in free agency a NT and 2 ILBs ande the defensive would be pretty solid.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: November 01, 2009 07:18AM

Ginn a DB? That's pretty funny.

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: November 01, 2009 07:24AM

Ginn played DB in High School and some at OSU. He could become our Deon Sanders push guys out of bound and return interceptions. No one is going to out run him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2009 07:25AM by cedaphins.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 01, 2009 07:51AM

well....it seems as though it cant be worse the WR right now

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: November 01, 2009 08:12AM

Hartline's starting, let's hope he steps it up. He's big and fast, right? Maybe he'll surprise us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.