HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Henne era begins!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Henne era begins!
Posted by: miamid45 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 02:40PM

Will miss Pennington, but this could be a blessing in disguise.

At 0-3, our chances are slim to none of turning around the season.

Giving Henne the reins...albeit multiple games to start will be ever so valuable towards his development.

Hopefully this works out ala Steve Young, Philip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers.

If he can come close to this level of play by seasons end, with the WR's we have, then imagine the future with a Pro Bowl WR and an elite TE!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Henne era begins!
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 02:46PM

miamid45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will miss Pennington, but this could be a blessing
> in disguise.

You might be right afterall.

Posted by: miamid45 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 02:58PM

If you tabulated the stats of both Mannings, Steve Young, Rivers, Aikman and company's first 2 years in the NFL, I'm sure the ratio of INT"S to TD"s would be over 2 to 1 and their W/L records would be way below .500.

Henne now has 13 games to establish his leadership of this offence and with the benefit of having 2 solid backs and a decent O line.
He'll need to use Bess, Camarillo and Fasano quite a bit to gain some confidence and hopefully we might be bleesed with an actual long bomb completion to a wide open Ginn ( hopefully he doesn't drop it!)

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:00PM

Look on the brightside... we aren't 3-0. And theres no drama. Penny may never take another snap as a Phin. I am intrigued to see HENNE in action.

I wanna see HENNE chucking the ball DOWN THE FIELD, time to AIR IT OUT! Stretch the DEFENSE for GOD'S sake.

"Don't tell me about the pain, show me the baby." - BP

Posted by: Surferdude ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:06PM

Maybe we should start playing some of our other younger players to see if we can develop them for next year. I am thinking Clemons and Turner and maybe the tight-end we drafted.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:12PM

In my aqua colored glasses henne has as good a chance of been a great qb as lets say sanchez does.

Henne has 2 things you cannot teach and are very important...Poise and a great arm..He was also a 4 year starter in college.

Sanches has better talent around him though. The jets at this point are a better team overall. Reminds me a lot of dan marino when he came into the league. He came into a very talented dolphins team.

Jets traded up to get sanches and the phins were lucky enough to have danny fall in their laps. Two different scenarios but very similar as far as both teams been talented.

I cannot wait until sunday. The henne era will start the right way.
At home with his home crowd behind him. That will be a confidence bootster for him.

Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:28PM

No Sanchez has a better o-line, same set WR'S, AND A MUCH BETTER DEFENSE, so Sanchez in a much easier position than Henne, and dont get me wron, i hope he is the man, but i think we all understand Henne's weakness's is his lack of quick thinking. We will find out, but Starring down wr's, not knowing where line of scrimage is, not reading defense, resulting in throwing the ball into defenders, thats the most concerning, he doesnt look around, he get's fixated on his target, and throws picks. He has a cannon, not mobile, and horrible awareness, so i dont think he will ever be more than back up material, and its cool that he has almost a full year to prove us right, and hopefully we will draft Bradford or Tebow next year.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 28, 2009 04:52PM

I liked what I saw in Henne. He certainly played better than Beck did in ANY of the games he started. He also looked better than Lemon, Feely, and Harrington did. I see potential.

Date: September 28, 2009 04:58PM

I hope your right.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: September 29, 2009 06:38AM

To Realist and the rest of the coaches among us:

How can we best give our QB a little more time, and thus open up the chance for a longer downfield pass without so much risk of the QB sack?

1. Roll him out
2. Wildcat pass back
3. Double TE formation
4. Keep to RBs in backfield
5. Train QBs on better play fake options (ala manning)
6. Other

We obvously need to keep enough running, dink and dunk

Posted by: LoRyder ()
Date: September 29, 2009 06:46AM

Pennington was always a class act, even when he was with the Jets. I will really miss him playing for the Phins. I'm hoping he will continue to be a great mentor for both Henne and White for the rest of the year.

But let's face it, if this terrible loss had to happen to the team, now is an almost perfect time for it (if there is such a thing). At 0-3, in the ridiculously strong AFC East, there is almost no chance of making the playoffs this year. Heck, the Patriots couldn't do it last year with 11 wins. And we haven't started our conference games yet. We still have the Patriots twice, the Jets twice, the Saints, Titans, Texans and Steelers to face.

No matter who is at quarterback, the wins were going to be hard to come by this year. Henne has a huge arm, he's big enough to handle some hits and muscle through some pressure. The downsides he has exhibited so far can be corrected. He will learn to check down his receivers and not telegraph. Marino was not a mobile QB either (not saying he's the next Marino). Let him take the lead, the team is behind him, the O-line is not absolutely terrible the way it was 2 years ago, and we have some new blood on the team that shows potential. Let them all play together and develop chemistry and see where it takes us for the remainder of the year.

GO 'PHINS!

Date: September 29, 2009 07:16AM

All im hearing is wishful thinking, and that is another reaon why im a skeptic. A big arm, thats all anyone can say thats realy positive about him, ok he doesnt get flustered, but thats what Sparano say's, and he defends any, and everyone.

Date: September 29, 2009 07:21AM

> He will learn to check down his receivers and not telegraph.

1. I like a lot of your other comments, however, I wonder how easy or if this skill is really that teachable.

2. The key seems to be the ability to keep your eyes down field and at the same time sense when to get the ball out.

3. Receiver checkdown involves quickly noting the coverages, options and executing in a split second.

4. Henne to me seems like he would benefit from a set of schemes that would allow him time to let the game slow down and take advantage of his arm strength.

5. Nothing gets a QB to that instictive ability to throw at the right time as "a little success". Sparano needs to get the right scheme around him before he gets the "deer in headlights - reflex" to give up early.

Posted by: LoRyder ()
Date: September 29, 2009 07:23AM

Hey Thunder, I don't blame you for being a skeptic. I am too. But at this point, about all we have is wishful thinking.

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: September 29, 2009 07:30AM

I think we are going to see alot of growing pains before we see success. Henne has nowhere near the tools of Ryan and Flacco did i their first year. Yes, he has Ricky & Ronnie, but teams are probaly going to stackthe box now to see what this kid can do. And with the WR's we have, that might not work out as well as we would hope for. Let's jst hope he can hit some early deep balls, so that teams will have to plan for it. Otherwise we may continue to see more pick 6's!

Date: September 29, 2009 10:12AM

Prepare for ALOT OF INT'S, and NO MORE RUNNING. Like you said Ginn isnt going to step up, they wonts use Hartline nearly enough, they forgot about our TE'S, and they are just going to blitz all the time, and destroy us. BUT HEY WE GOT THINGPEN WHO I USED TO IS SWEEEEET!!! I LOVE THIGPEN!!!!!

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: September 30, 2009 03:52AM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> Look on the brightside... we aren't 3-0. And
> theres no drama.

agreed. we're not falling into another 'Wannestadt' position, with a pick somewhere around #20-25 giving false hope and the belief that we're "close enough" to make a run w/o having the ammo to do it. Look on the bright side, we still have a season to enjoy watching the Phins noting the progression and maturity of the team, as opposed to "2nd place is the 1st loser" mentality... keep your heads up, Dolphin faithful

"I don't really care what happened in the past, I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them." - T. Sparano

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: September 30, 2009 04:06AM

My concern with Henne playing is that in my opinion (and some may disagree with me), the offensive line has been inconsistent at best. Young QB + porous offensive line = problems. Quite frankly, how well or badly that Henne plays is as much dependent on our highly paid offensive line earning their salaries as it is Henne's performance. Defense playing better on third down would help too.

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: September 30, 2009 04:12AM

If Henne can take the reigns of this team, and become the incumbent starter, hopefully next year we will make a serious effort to bring in an elite WR to grow with Henne. Now that a lack of arm strength wont be the problem, hopefully we can work on our aerial assault. IMO we have a glaring need at wr/te.

2010 Draft/free agency:
1. ILB
2. OLB
3 WR
4. TE
5. S (if Wilson cant get his tihs together, this becomes #2)

Brighter days ahead...

"I don't really care what happened in the past, I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them." - T. Sparano

Date: September 30, 2009 06:09AM

Dont need OLB, Waldren, Anderson, Wake. WE good, ILB YES PICK UP TWO, AND TWO MORE WR', and we get Tebow, or Bradford in the first, because unless Henne, becomes the Man overnight, or Thigpen becomes the Man, then we finaly draft the man, and trade Henne, we could also trade to get Crabtree next year!!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 30, 2009 05:40PM

Doug Wrote:
> 2010 Draft/free agency:
> 1. ILB
> 2. OLB
> 3 WR
> 4. TE
> 5. S (if Wilson cant get his tihs together, this
> becomes #2)

More likely:

1. ILB
2. TE
3. ILB
4. TE
5. S
6. OLB

As for Wilson, he's toast, but we DID draft Clemons this year. I'd like to see what he can do before we make safety such a high priority. Either way, I think we'll continue the trend of drafting 2 at a position of need. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see us start 2 rookie ILBs!!!

Date: September 30, 2009 06:17PM

I feel it could look more like, QB,ILB,S,WR,WR,S,G,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2009 06:21PM by MiamiThunder.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: October 01, 2009 01:29AM

I'm a little nervous about the idea of Henne taking over. This isn't a backup coming in because of an unlucky, unforseen injury to the starter, smoothly picking up where the starter left off.

No, the offense was in shambles, and Penny got hurt in fact because of it. This is the lineup Henne is stepping into. And he may not have the talent to compensate for the problems. Sparano may pull him and put the veteran in.

This team was unfortunately mismanaged. Instead of working with Penny, and building the offense up around him while Penny holds it all together, they shrugged. Penny did it for a whole year. He held crap together while the clocked ticked away. Tick tick. Meanwhile, the FO acted as if they had all the time in the world and patiently waited for Wilford to produce, which he never did, and waited for Ginn to develop, and counted on Camarillo who no one should burden with being a number one receiver. They picked up Turner who can't get on the field. They didn't give a second thought to tight ends. They didn't bring in any premium veteran wide receivers even though Parcells had the clout to entice players to come here. What did they expect as a result?

Date: October 01, 2009 08:46AM

I guess I'm seeing this a bit different than some of you.

I too hope to pick up where we left off, better OL, another year for recievers, JT on board, corner help etc ... BUT:

1. We stumbled out of the gate and IMHO gave away the first game with mistakes on the offnes, not prepared, not intense enough ... whatever.

2. Game 2 we clearly out played IND in every area except defense. Defense stayed at home and got burned wioth only 15 minutes available to Manning.
- Not a QB problem ... as matter of fact Pennington and the O/C for FINS and the offense in general were incredible!
- Yes better wr play could have helped more.

3. Game 3 we played a good defensive half and couldn't get the ball in the endzone with or without Pennington in there. We we're in the red zone often enough to win if we scored touchdowns.

All of this means to me that we are 0-3 and as miami45 points out the time to get moving on our future is NOW. (Not in the draft or next year, but in developing what we have now and then complementing it in the off season.)

1. WRs - Do it or your won't be here next year
2. Coaching staff - Don't put all the eggs in the Henne basket, but let him go down field once in a while, and design plays to give him decision time.
3. Defense needs to step up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.