HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Pat White's role in the Wildcat
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pat White's role in the Wildcat
Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: August 25, 2009 07:29PM

I know it has been discussed before and comments from Sparano seem to imply that RB will continue to "operate" the Wildcat by taking the snaps. Which makes sense, because the primary advantage of the Single Wing is the extra blocker it gives you allowing the runner a better chance of success between the tackles. We know RB is going to be a better runner in this role.

However, something I have been thinking about is perhaps Pat White will take over Ricky's Role as the runner in motion. This would put White where his running would be most effective (to the outside around the edge.) It would also get the ball into the hands of a passer almost immediately after the snap as opposed the the reverses necessary to get it to Pennington.

I know he hasn't been utilized in it yet, as I think the primary reason for using the old plays in the preaseason was to see how the defense lined up and decided to defend it. Any new wrinkles that get added won't show up until the regular season is upon us.

So, does anyone else think this might be a likely role for Pat White??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pat White's role in the Wildcat
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 25, 2009 09:23PM

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 25, 2009 10:15PM

One of the difficulties of White taking Williams' role, as it stands now, would be the fact that White is a left-hander. Throwing while running to the right would be extremely difficult. With that having been said, I can see him replacing Pennington though. Now when Ricky pitches to the split quarterback in "Cross Country", White can release the ball quicker and throw farther than Pennington. He can even run it as a reverse.

The Dolphins could also consider bringing Carey to the left side and then White could mirror Williams' motion. Now he would be a big threat to throw.

Did anyone else pick up on Pennington referring to the throw to Cobbs as "Cross Country"?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 26, 2009 05:27AM

Sparano has said over and over that Pat White is a QB and will not run the WC....

He has also said they are putting together a package just for Pat White.

I don't know what to make of it but I can't believe they would spend a high 2nd round pick on him just to be a 3rd QB and compete with Henne or to just come in and run a spread offense for a few series..or what Sparano is calling a "spread".

Semantics probably but i would be disappointed if White doesn't run some form of the Wildcat or an expanded version of the Spread offense.

I think they could mirror the offset line to the left with motion coming from the right to help the left hander. If nothing else, it is a different look to keep defenses confused, even though it is the same play.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 26, 2009 05:37AM

I agree with you eesti, canb't buy them not planning on white for the WC

I also think that a wrinkle exists for white to replace either Penny or ricky with white intended as a receiver (then runner), with options also to run or pass.

Ricky is not a bad receiver, but if white offers more options for the defense to deal with then all the better
- Only downside for replacing ricky is the downgrade on blocking
- Thus replacing penny has potential.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 26, 2009 07:48AM

To have continued success with the WC, we need to be able to catch teams off-guard. That means shifting into a WC formation from a standard set and not allowing the defense to substitute. For PW to be involved in that, he'd have to someone play in the standard set. I could see him as a slot WR. I'm wondering why we haven't tried that yet.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 26, 2009 07:57AM

A whole lot of plays can be implemented and now with pat white add 10-15 more plays.

Teams do not know where we are coming from, at least not yet. Not until they see the new wrinkles.

I really hope dan henning is still with this team at least 5 or 6 years from now.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 26, 2009 08:35AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really hope dan henning is still with this team
> at least 5 or 6 years from now.

Unfortunately, that's rare in today's NFL. If he's really good at what he does, he'll probably be offered a head coaching job somewhere else. Question is, will he take it?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 26, 2009 09:05AM

Henning is best friends with Parcels. I think the next step for Henning is retirement from the way he sounds. He is 67 years old.

I think he and Bill want to go out on a high note so he may be here until we win the SuperBowl in 2010 but not much after that. smiling smiley

I just hope we are grooming someone to take over and I hope David Lee is that guy.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 26, 2009 02:16PM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I really hope dan henning is still with this
> team
> > at least 5 or 6 years from now.
>
> Unfortunately, that's rare in today's NFL. If
> he's really good at what he does, he'll probably
> be offered a head coaching job somewhere else.
> Question is, will he take it?

You are right about that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.