HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          We have a dlemma at running back
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
We have a dlemma at running back
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: August 23, 2009 01:48PM

what to do with Lex Hilliard. He wont make the practice squad I can assure everyone of that. He is too good for us to stash away, and we already have 3 very good backs that complement each other. I say Hilliard has more upside than Cobbs, and we should trade Cobbs and keep Hilliard. However, the coaching staff loves Cobbs so really what can the team do to eleveate the situation. I think we should Make Hilliard a fullback on the roster and then that will allow him to stay on the roster and be activated for some games. I absolutely love Hilliard he was Montana's whole team when he played for them. This is a nice situation to have. I hope the coaching staff makes the right decisions, as far as who to keep and release. Hilliard could start and play for alot of teams. It will be interesting to see what happens with this outstanding player.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: We have a dlemma at running back
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 23, 2009 02:04PM

it's a good situation to have. We MUST hold onto him at all costs. Ronnie is entering a contract year and could leave at seasons end. Ricky is old and he wore down at the end of last season. Plus he is always talking about leaving the NFL soon to do other things.

Lex HAS to make the team. There is no two ways about it. He is gonna be one of the 53 on this team.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 23, 2009 02:28PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 23, 2009 02:52PM

I say trade Cobbs or even Ricky if we can get something, or, worst case, keep 4 RBs on the roster. It's good insurance to have a younger promising back waiting in the wings over an older one.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: August 23, 2009 02:56PM

I think Hilliard is the real deal and Parcells is the one I bet who found him up their in the great North West.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 23, 2009 02:58PM

How about keeping him as a fullback....I mean he looks outstanding and can become a great player if given the chance.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 23, 2009 03:20PM

does he do anything on S teams? If so I much rather have him than one of the xtra receivers

Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: August 23, 2009 04:06PM

HMMMMM. Id say common sense is keep him as the FB, if he can get one yard runs up the gut. Hilliard is 5"11 240, so he has the short yardage ability.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 23, 2009 04:13PM

The problem as I see it is justifying the keeping of 5 RB's?

I agree with the thinking that Ricky is coming to the end and I would like to see Hilliard stay for a future backup role.

Cobbs is too multi-dimensional to let walk.

Polite was money last year on short yardage and 3rd and 4th down.

We could keep 4 HB's and 1 FB and Lex at 240 lbs could possibly play FB as well but is more of a HB than a blocker.

The problem is that we run too many 2 TE sets and really need to have a reserve or 3rd TE so that leaves us with the option of only keeping 5 WR's.

I think it would be easier to replace Haynos, Nalbone or Wilford at TE than it would be to find a quality RB on someones practice squad if we need to.

Same goes for finding a comparable WR to Williams, London or Armstrong on a P-Squad.

The odds are also better that on of the two younger TE's and three lower WR's would clear waivers and make it to the PS so we could call them up if needed. I think someone will snatch up Williams though but he keeps making critical mistakes.

I don't think we could find a RB with Hilliard's upside on waivers if we have to.

Hilliard has made himself more valuable than any of the backup TE's or 6th receivers so it comes down to who is more indispensable or most likely to be snatched up by another team? Haynos, Nalbone, Wilford, Williams, Armstrong or London?

This 3rd game will answer the question. It is everyones last chance to claim a spot.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 23, 2009 04:47PM

eesti, I think you got it right. Cobbs is versatile. That means he could fill the role of KR and/or PR, allowing us to keep only 5 WRs (Ginn, Camarillo, Bess, Hartline, Turner). Cobbs could line up at WR in a pinch as well. Then we keep Hilliard as, basically, the 3rd HB and Cobbs as the utility player.

Unfortunately, this is bad news for Williams, London, and Armstrong.

Note: I STILL think Pat White could play some WR in a pinch. His familiarity as a QB could give him the same advantages Jim Jensen had years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2009 04:49PM by montequi.

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: August 23, 2009 05:36PM

Hilliard has looked good against back-ups and Cobbs has proven his stuff against starters in the regular season. This is pre-season people! Enough said!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 23, 2009 05:55PM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 23, 2009 06:26PM

Date: August 23, 2009 06:46PM

Looking at the list i can see most of the guys listed as staying on Practice squad. I want Hilliard over any of them. We are deep at CB, and LB, well enough so where we can keep the 6th wr, and place Cobbs at that? I dont know, but will be exciting non the less.

Posted by: sugddy72 ()
Date: August 23, 2009 06:47PM

get rid of williams!

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 23, 2009 06:49PM

Cobbs isn't going anywhere. If you recall, part of the reason we started running wildcat was to find a way to get our best weapons on the field together. That meant teaming Ronnie, Ricky and Patrick together. He is an integral part of that offense.

In addition, I have heard Sparano refer to him as our best special team player. The guy is the model of versatility and consistency.

Williams isn't going anywhere either. You have to have Brown, Williams and Cobb to make wildcat work as well as it does.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2009 06:53PM by Jonathan Twilley.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 24, 2009 08:50AM

More testing needed! Put Hilliard up against first team D for the next exhibition game. If he out-performs Cobbs and Polite, trade whoever fetches the best price between them.

Date: August 24, 2009 08:59AM

I can't see us dropping Polite to keep Hilliard. They aren't the same type of player. Polite is gold because he's almost guaranteed for 1-2 yards. Hilliard won't do that on 4th and 1.

Date: August 24, 2009 09:18AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hilliard won't do that on 4th and 1.

I'm not so sure about that. Hilliard is the exact height as Polite and only 4 lbs lighter.

Although Polite is a blocker. I'm not so sure Hilliard can block at the same level at this point.

.....................................................................................

Date: August 24, 2009 09:47AM

Would anyone be shocked if we released Ricky Williams? he is goin gto be a 33 year old RB in 9 months.

Parcels let Zach go because of age when he was 34 going on 35.

Sparano said he was going to have a hard time parting with Cobbs but that makes me wonder if he was already thinking about parting ways because of Hilliard.

Date: August 24, 2009 10:18AM

eesti Wrote:
> Would anyone be shocked if we released Ricky
> Williams?
YES! He's played great in preseason. Trade him? I could see that. Release him? NO WAY!

> Parcels let Zach go because of age when he was 34
> going on 35.
Zach was coming off a year where he missed most of the season injured. Ricky was healthy all season last year and looks even better THIS year!

> Sparano said he was going to have a hard time
> parting with Cobbs but that makes me wonder if he
> was already thinking about parting ways because of
> Hilliard.
Sparano is going to have a tough decision. I don't see us waving any of our RBs. If we can trade a useless O-Lineman, then we can trade a good RB. I, honestly, think we'll keep 4 RBs (not including Polite), simply because Hilliard and Cobbs can contribute on ST.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2009 10:20AM by montequi.

Date: August 24, 2009 11:09AM

Well with Williams and Wilford gone? Could Cobbs become the 6th WR???

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 24, 2009 11:13AM

Cobbs as a 6th WR?? What are you talking about?? Cobbs is a RB!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 24, 2009 11:19AM

montequi Wrote:

> Sparano is going to have a tough decision. I
> don't see us waving any of our RBs. If we can
> trade a useless O-Lineman, then we can trade a
> good RB. I, honestly, think we'll keep 4 RBs (not
> including Polite), simply because Hilliard and
> Cobbs can contribute on ST.

Another argument for keeping 4 RBs is the notion that we're going to run the ball a lot more. I'd be in favor of that--listing Hilliard as a second FB or however. But then again that might lead to keeping one less receiver, so it's a tough decision any way you slice it.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 24, 2009 11:24AM

Trade Polite.??????

Come on if it aint broke dont fix it......Have you heard of that?????

Polite it a beast on 3rd and 4th and short.......

Keep polite.

Date: August 24, 2009 12:18PM

Even if we keep him. Only three HB's will be active for the game day roster. How would we ever get a chance to use 4 HB's.

One of them is gone. I don't see Sparano wasting a roster spot for a year just to have him for next year.

Date: August 24, 2009 01:46PM

eesti Wrote:
> Even if we keep him. Only three HB's will be
> active for the game day roster. How would we ever
> get a chance to use 4 HB's.
>
List him as a FB! I wasn't aware of this rule. If it truly IS an NFL rule, there are ways around it.

Date: August 24, 2009 04:53PM

Could list Cobbs as a WR? He can deff catch the ball? I dont know how many wr's can use in a game?

Date: August 24, 2009 05:25PM

It is not a rule but there just isn't enough snaps to go around between 4 half backs.

Cobbs as the 3rd RB last year had 12 carries and 19 receptions. Why waste a 53 man roster spot for a guy that won't play?

I mean, we did it for Murphy last year as he was inactive all year so who knows. Maybe we do it and get rid of RW next year.

I do know that Haynos was getting a look as the 2nd team TE so maybe they are planning on seeing what he can do or releasing him and going with 2 TE's. I doubt it but ????

Date: August 24, 2009 05:26PM

Haynos can catch and his size!!! Guy is A MONSTER!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.