HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Carolina Analysis......
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Carolina Analysis......
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 22, 2009 08:27PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carolina Analysis......
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 23, 2009 01:46AM

Donald Thomas is a beast. If he stays healthy he will be a pro bowl player within 5 years.

The secondary still stinks. And if Sean Smith and Jason Allen mean THAT much to our secondary then we have serious issues.

Ronnie Brown when given opportunities is a great RB. I would like to see him get the ball 20+ handoffs a game, HE WON'T get that....but I think if he did he would be a monster RB. Tonight he reminded me of his 2007 season. When he went down with his knee injury he was leading the NFL in all purpose yards.

Our WR's will determine how far this team goes. I watch evry game in shock that we didn't add any vet FA WR this offseason. Ginn, Bess, Camarillo, Hartline, Turner.......that is not a good WR corps any way you slice it. Especially for a team coming off a playoff birth. I'm hoping for the best out of that unit but I am prepared for the worst

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: August 23, 2009 03:16AM

I was wondering the same thing, where was Ginn?

I think that Ginn has to stay very involved once the regular season starts, for our offense to do consistently well.

Coaches obviously worked on the O line this week, and focused on running the ball and stopping the run on the D side. I saw improvement on both.

Wildcat got us some yards, but they were old plays from last year, I don't think Carolina bothered to prepare for them and so they succeeded. I'm crossing my fingers that come regular season, when defenses tighten up, that Ronnie can run the ball out of the base offense and the new wildcat plays we come up with will work.

Defense played great, despite what Griese said. I also think we got some bad calls from the refs, they didn't see a lot of holding going on, on the Carolina side. Plus we recovered a fumble they took away.

Chris Williams had a rough night, but I think he deserves a chance, and this is what preseason is for. I think in some respects Sparano takes it too seriously. Panthers are not worried they lost, they don't care. What matters is regular season. Let your rookies make mistakes and let your vets brush off the rust. Williams was screamed at and benched, and I hope that doesn't shake up the rookie. If a rookie makes a mistake, you put him back out there you don't bench him. Williams is good enough to find a job with another team if we cut him, just wait and see. And I don't want Bess out there returning punts when we need him as a receiver.

Our weakness remains the secondary. Despite how good Vonte played, and that when Sean comes back he'll make us proud...they are still rookies. And Jason Allen is not great. I think our final W/L record this year will hinge on how well the secondary holds up. If the secondary folds, we'll lose some games we otherwise shouldn't have, but that's ok with me I want another great draft. We need one more year of solid players to add to the roster to finish our foundation.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: August 23, 2009 05:58AM

Obviously, the game plan was to get alot of reps for the RB's. We simply didn't throw many passes to the WR's. That said, we did have a couple of dropped passes...one from Bess, Armstrong, and a off-target or out-of-position swing pass to Ginn behind the line. The O-line and RB's got some valuable reps.

Hilliard, Clemons, Moses, Donald Thomas, Crowder, Solia ....all stood out to me as having a good game.

We did have some bad tackling that cost us a couple of big plays.

I don't know what the refs explaination was for giving that fumble recovery to the Panthers. The replay clearly showed that Bryan recovered it right away and he walked out of the pile with it in his hands. That was a weird call.

Vontae Davis had a good bounce back game. He needs to tone down his celebrations down a little bit...but, that does seem to be like his personality to get a little excited.

Yeremiah Bell was close to having some big plays...you can tell that we have some timing issues because our players are not allowed to make the big hit in practice. The value of these preseason games are worth it in getting our Offense and Defense to be more physical.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 24, 2009 12:03PM

I agree that we were not pushing the pass, but I'd still like to have seen some better success when we did.

RBs did look good though.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 24, 2009 12:14PM

Outside of sloppy tackling and not much passing threat (maybe by coaching design) we looked solid.

1. I like the work I'm see as having rbs in the passing game.
2. Once the season startsa we'll see more focus on passing and also more TE passes.
3. Defense looked good, forgetting the 4 missed tackles on DeAngelo.
4. Special Teams were still very weak, and I'm beginning to wonder (bet Parcels is too) about our coaching in that area.

Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: August 24, 2009 04:59PM

Well well well interesting points.

Date: August 25, 2009 08:22AM

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: August 25, 2009 11:07AM

The point of this game wasn't to get Ted Ginn the ball. We did that against the Jags. The point of the Carolina game was to suit up the O-line, put our running backs out there and run the god damn ball. Sparano's pre-game comments alluded to the need to get Ronnie some serious carries, give Ricky some action, and let Lex pound it out for the last few quarters to see what he could get done. The idea was to let Ronnie get hit, make him run through the tackles, and challenge our O-line to start opening some real holes in preparation for the ground attack we're going to try to take to the next level this season.

Date: August 25, 2009 12:45PM

mission accomplished but we still threw the ball 30 times. Penni threw 11 times and only once to TG. Mondos point was that we need to look for Ginn more often. He is getting better separation now....i don't know if he didn't during the Carolina game but....

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2009 12:46PM by eesti.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: August 25, 2009 04:13PM

Yeah the game plan better be to get the ball to Ginn when the regular season starts. We've got to grow beyond the dink and dunk, and even with the wildcat they know Ronnie would rather run the ball. Everything points to the run and short passing game with Miami and as the season progresses, it will be harder to run anywhere, much less between the tackles.

Date: August 25, 2009 05:38PM

I'm going to step out onto a limb and suggest that Ginn, is our secret weapon with Pat White, and the Wildcat 2.0 or just the Pat spread?

Date: August 25, 2009 05:56PM

just throw it as far as you can and let Ginn run under it!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 25, 2009 06:24PM

AMEN smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.