Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Who Would you rather have on your team as of today?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Who Would you rather have on your team as of today?
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: June 24, 2009 07:33AM

Poll
As of now, who would you rather have on your team?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
31 votes were received.
Wes Welker 15

48%
Devon Bess 16

52%

Bess been a rookie with so much potential.

Welker has been to the pro bowl. He made the pro bowl of course as a member of the patriots which are much more superior than the phins especially at the QB and Receiver positions.

Who would you pick as of today.EDIT.......Who would you pick long term.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 09:25AM by samsam3738.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who Would you rather have on your team as of today?
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: June 24, 2009 08:53AM

Date: June 24, 2009 09:24AM

Phinfan2 i meant as of now....to play for this team until he retires.

Date: June 24, 2009 09:26AM

Phinfan2 quote.....If you are asking me if I'd trade Bess for Welker right now, I'd say "PROBABLY not" since Bess is still young enough for me to believe in his POTENTIAL to a point where I'd base that decision on their contracts and age.

No need to answer my question since you already did on this paragraph.

Date: June 24, 2009 09:30AM

I( guess i should had explained better on the first post.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: June 24, 2009 10:06AM

Welker HAS to be a product of the system. They used him perfectly, but I don't think he has any particular skill that is unquestionably better than Bess. Note that his 2007 and 2008 stats are almost identical, except TDs. It's uncanny. His main role is to get open on relatively short routes, catch the ball and get YAC...especially by simply diving forward a split second before getting tackled. In NE's offense, he caught 1/3 of Cassel's completions because the offense is predicated on his routes as bread and butter, and Moss being the superhuman that he is.

Bess caught about 1/6 of Pennington's completions, as did Ginn and Camarillo. Our TEs and RBs accounted for the other 1/2. Our passing offense last year was predicated on spreading the ball around to the open receiver, it appeared. I don't think Welker would have had near his numbers in MIA over the past 2 years.

I chose Bess because he's younger and, IMO, right now Welker does not have any particular skill that can't be easily coached that Bess does not.

EDIT: and because I don't like when any player willingly goes from the Phins to NE. Loved when ZT and JT (by his inaction) told NE to shove it. Was a hard pill to swallow when T-Buck went there, as he was one of my faves from that period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 10:11AM by tsstamper.

Posted by: opus ()
Date: June 24, 2009 10:09AM

Until Devon stops putting the ball on the ground, and through his fingers, my vote will be for Welker. Welker was our leading receiver before he went to New England and became their leading receiver, so he is the product of two systems I guess.

Date: June 24, 2009 10:25AM

Welker let a Harrington pass go right through his hands in a game against NE in 2006. The interception that resulted led to their scoring a few plays later to extend their lead from 13-10 to 20-10, the final score. To be fair, the ball didn't technically go 'on the ground'.

He had 67 catches in 2006 to lead our team when Chambers had his worst year ever as a Dolphin. That speaks more to how crappy we were on offense than it does to whether he is a product of a system. I suppose I meant that his 111.5 catches per season in NE (16 games per season) vs. his 48 catches per season in MIA (16 games per season, though admittedly I don't think he started regularly) indicate that he is a product of NE's good offensive passing system vs. our bad offensive passing system in 2005 and 2006. Is that a fair clarification?

Date: June 24, 2009 10:27AM

Also, for my edification, how many balls did Bess drop? I remember marveling at a few of his catches that many more tenured receivers don't make, but I do not remember any drops. I'm sure he had some, but I do not remember a single one.

Date: June 24, 2009 11:31AM

I do not remember any drops by bess either. Maybe im wrong but i dont remember any drops.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: June 24, 2009 02:47PM

Bess had a couple drops but not enough where one would or should consider it a problem.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: June 24, 2009 04:47PM

For me, I take a proven Pro Bowler who is still has some good years ahead of him over an undrafted guy who has potential. I know Welker was also undrafted, but he's a proven commodity now.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 24, 2009 04:57PM

I'll take Bess. He's cheaper and 5 years younger.

Welker benefits huge from Randy Moss. He certainly get the "scrappy white guy" bump from a lot of people, but realistically Bess was much farther along in his first year than Welker was in his first year.

Really, Welker is at max two seasons away from being a perennial third WR. And an expensive one at that.

Date: June 24, 2009 06:33PM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: June 25, 2009 04:12AM

Welker did not "willingly" go to NE. He was traded.

Welker is much more of a play maker. Bess has not impressed me too much with his yac ability.

It is hard to get a read on Bess and how high his ceiling is. He may be pretty close to it already. We will find out soon enough.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: June 25, 2009 05:38AM

WELKER.... his notority may make it easier for others to get open.

Date: June 25, 2009 06:03AM

Welker's contract had the poison pill clause that led to the trade. The tag he had allowed him to negotiate with other teams. He/his agent willingly negotiated with NE a contract that Miami basically could not match. I get that technically he was traded, but the reality is that NE threw in an extra 7th rounder to get the deal done in a less ugly 'poison pill' way. In my mind, he willingly went to NE.

BTW - just because I don't like it doesn't mean I don't understand. Players have a limited opp to win a SB, and Welker went from a crappy team to one that had a great shot at winning the SB, and he got paid.

Date: June 25, 2009 07:01AM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WELKER.... his notority may make it easier for
> others to get open.

Could it be the other way around....

Defenses key on randy moss and others thus leaving welker wide open....I mean he seems to be wide open all the time.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: June 25, 2009 10:07AM

1. Welker is a better player than Bess now. Not however a better value than Bess

2. Welker costs at least what we gave a 2nd and a 6th or 7th
Bess was no draft picks and a much lower salary

3. bottom line value wise i want bess, If I don't care about value and just who is best i want welker.

As indicated by my answer the question is not an apples to apples compare.

Date: June 25, 2009 10:34AM

I meant everything phinjim...Like i said i should had explained it better on the first post.....

I meant who would you want as of today, i should had put age wise, salary wise, talent wise etc etc.

Date: June 25, 2009 05:28PM

Date: June 25, 2009 06:22PM

Date: June 26, 2009 05:44AM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: June 26, 2009 05:50AM

Sam sam ... no problemo, just clarifying my repsonse being not a straight forth pick of one or the other ... not criticizing the question.

Date: June 26, 2009 05:53AM

Phinjim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sam sam ... no problemo, just clarifying my
> repsonse being not a straight forth pick of one or
> the other ... not criticizing the question.

Got it.

Date: June 26, 2009 06:42AM

Date: June 29, 2009 08:00AM

BTW I picked Bess.....

And Bess did drop at least one pass last year. I believe i saw a drop in the kansas city game yesterday. Really tough catch..........................NFL Network put the game yesterday at 3:00 PM.

Bess can drop a few anyday as long as he continues to play just like he played last year.....

The second game they showed yesterday on the NFL Network.....Dallas WR Terrell Owens Dropped a pass right in the endzone...I happens to the best of them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.