HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Best reason to tune in to Super Bowl will be AFTER it's over
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Best reason to tune in to Super Bowl will be AFTER it's over
Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 08, 2024 08:13AM

And it's not because of any music/lip sync artist or other current celebrity.

Our very own Larry Csonka will be presenting the Lombardi trophy to the winning team. He was chosen because of the 50th anniversary of our 1973 season championship. The lesser known team due to the prior year's undefeated season, but a much more impressive one in many ways.

We lost a couple games during that season but we absolutely obliterated playoff opponents and handed Fran Tarkenton's, Alan Page's, and the rest of the Purple People Eaters' collective asses to them that day. Griese only attempted seven passes (completing six of them). Three rushing touchdowns for us, two of which were by Csonka. A boring game for the casual fan but I was over the moon watching this.

Zonk was my favorite player as a kid and remains my favorite. The Phins could count on him for a solid gain every time. An absolute bruiser who rumbled 'donwhill' every time. The only player I can think of who was penalized for unnecessary roughness WHILE CARRYING THE BALL grinning smiley (he was running down the sideline and decked a defender who was trying to issue a cheap shot).

For the life of me I don't know why the NFL has no such position anymore: a fullback whose team can bank on him in short yardage situations. The closest we've had since, was Lousaka Polite, whom I was a big fan of (I believe he had a nearly-perfect record in getting first downs in short yardage situations)--but Polite was only a PHin for three years or so.

Anyway, I'm glad Csonka is being honored. My favorite Dolphin will be taking the field on Sunday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best reason to tune in to Super Bowl will be AFTER it's over
Date: February 08, 2024 08:32AM

Love me some Csonka!! Guy had natural ability and a coach that knew how to use it. Toughness. So glad to see him thriving still in retirement. Many other Players have not. A great ambassador for the perfect team and all Dolphins fans everywhere. smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 08, 2024 01:03PM

Zonk was my first favorite Dolphins player (Marino was next).

The first time I saw him was in the College All Star game vs the defending NFL Champ Packers. I remember seeing Zonk run over people, and I said Miami got themselves a hell of a player. He gained 95 yards on 18 carries.

His first year in Miami was almost his last. He would carry the ball covering it with two hands and when tackled, he would hit the ground face first. They later made a helmet for him to where he wouldn't get injured as frequently, along with teaching him a new running style.

Monte Clark, the Fins' OL coach, said: "When Csonka goes on safari, the lions roll up their windows."

I was very disappointed when he left for the WFL.

Date: February 08, 2024 04:01PM

captkoi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>

> I was very disappointed when he left for the WFL.
>

I was devastated when that happened. Perhaps the low point of my entire childhood.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 08, 2024 04:42PM

I have a tinge of personal guilt when thinking of the 73 team. I was born in 1974...the same year the Phins won their last Super Bowl at the end of the '73 season. Maybe it's my fault we haven't won in 50 years :-). Apologies to the community if it is :-)

Date: February 09, 2024 04:46AM

Tsstamper you POS! grinning smiley

I was 7 in NYC when I discovered the Dolphins on my own while shopping for a winter coat. The colors and logo instantly attracted me.

Just read an article on a interview with Marino. He said players, coaches fans have all overwhelmingly told Ross they wanted to keep the throwbacks permanently. He said Ross is dug in because he wants to win a Superbowl with this logo. Then we can go back. He said don't even ask him about it because he's getting really annoyed.

Next to Dan , Zack Thomas is my #1 , probably because I remember him getting drafted. I still have the Dolphin digest when JJ explained the , I threw a quarter at him and told him to call his mom bit.

Czonka was someone I just read about. But damn he must have been exciting to watch. Just natural farm boy strength.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 10, 2024 09:40AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Tsstamper you POS! grinning smiley
>

I hear ya! I do have faith that they'll one (or more) before I die...but odds are I'm more than 1/2 way there, so they better get on it!

I became a fan in January 1983 watching the SB with my dad and brother in south central Kansas. We had moved there from the Denver area a few years before, so my dad was a Broncos fan. My brother and I simply chose sides, and he's been a 'Skins fan and I a 'Phins fan ever since. No rhyme or reason...just picked sides. We were so young my dad made us go to bed at halftime, so we didn't even know who won until the following day.

Date: February 11, 2024 06:18PM

Well, that ceremony was a little underwhelming. I mean it was great to see Zonk holding the trophy, but all he did was walk a few steps with it then hand it off to John Elway who took it up to the podium.

To be fair, Csonka walks with a cane these days. To be honest, I didn’t know how he was going to manage carrying the trophy at all, much less go up the stairs with it. At least he got to participate in a small way and get a trip to Vegas.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: February 13, 2024 04:16AM

While I understand this SB was the most watched ever, I had it on TV more for background noise, much like you'd listen to the car radio in heavy traffic. I really had no "dog in this fight" so to speak, and I had minimal interest in it. Had it been the Dolphins, every second would have had my attention. Oh well, maybe some day.

It was good to see Czonka. I remember being in a local bar when he was playing for the Fins and I could not believe how big-boned a guy he was. He was a massively built. It's not a surprise that he walks with a cane these days. I have arthritis and we are close in age...and I didn't have to break tackles. He was a bull and could literally carry a team almost...opposing team that is.

Jim Nantz is a very good announcer. Tony Romo, on the other hand is an amateur and I dislike listening to his constant babble. Exuberance is one thing, but he doesn't know when to be still. Sometimes the moments are more important than words especially when the game is being shown on TV. Vin Scully knew how to do it. Many others announcers know when silence is best.

Date: February 13, 2024 07:38AM

I had both boys.something I used to have every weekend I now Treasure when it occurs no matter who was playing. I to had no dog in this fight , But I was pulling for Purdy. From Mr. Irrelevant to The Superbowl. I mostly cooked , Chicken Cutlets parm, pasta .Veal is my specialty but the boys wanted chicken.

Right before the half I wasn't watching but I heard the announcer say, this game is made for a comeback next half.

I kinda knew what was going to happen. I'm not going to ruin this thread with any conspiracy theories........but everything sure seems scripted nowadays when you just sit back and listen without any distractions. Just sayin......eye rolling smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: February 14, 2024 01:38AM

I enjoyed it and even won some money in the quarter-by-quarter pool.
In the big picture, the Patriots dynasty is over, nobody talks about Brady anymore and, Billy-cheat can't get a job. A new dynasty is in the making while the Dolphins are treading water.
Bring on the draft.

Date: February 14, 2024 03:16AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
>
> In the big picture, the Patriots dynasty is over,
> nobody talks about Brady anymore and, Billy-cheat
> can't get a job. A new dynasty is in the making
> while the Dolphins are treading water.
> Bring on the draft.

All great points. Life moves on.I like the positive energy. smileys with beer.
My only Must have is that they resign Wilkins. If we let him go Miami just made any chance of getting better far worse.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: February 14, 2024 04:39AM

We're 53 million OVER THE CAP. X getting cut is a no brainer but, he will need to be replaced. Wilkins wants to get paid, AVG and Tua want to get paid. Grier will be able to kick the can down the road for one more year and then the wheels fall off. Tyreek will retire and Waddle will want to get paid. As Tyreek has said, "There are no more excuses for Miami." I wonder if he wishes he had stayed in KC and gotten 2 more rings instead of going for the payday.

Date: February 14, 2024 07:39AM

That's a question Wilkins needs to answer. Take a little less and build on a future here. TUA as well. If they get greedy let them go. Pats did it for 2 decades. Chiefs let Hill go. DEFENSE. Trenches pay the bills.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.