HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is Tua the Man??
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Is Tua the Man??
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 21, 2024 03:36PM

Poll
Is Tua The Long Term Solution??
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
6 votes were received.
Yes!! He's Elite 1

17%
No, We Can Certainly Do Better. 1

17%
We're Stuck With Him, Let's Make The Best Of It. 4

66%

Nothing is official yet but, Grier has indicated that he wants to lock in Tua for the long term. At this point only Ross has the final say. I'm watching the Bills/KC game and it's painfully obvious that Tua couldn't carry Josh Allen's jock. He's so limited, He has a mediocre arm, he can't run, He can't run the QB sneak, I don't recall him ever running the no huddle hurry-up offense. His numbers against bad teams are impressive but, we'll never meet the likes of the Carolina Panthers or the dysfunctional NY Giants in the play-offs. Tua has the fastest release in the league out of necessity because the Oline is so bad but, there's a limited number of plays that you can run that will develop in 2.5 seconds.
We're locked into mediocrity unless Grier can magically acquire the personnel for the Oline, a tall order considering his track record.
Like it or not, we're stuck with Tua because he's Grier's pick and, he somehow made it through the season unhurt. Can he do it again? We'll have to wait and see.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Tua the Man??
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 21, 2024 05:25PM

I'm leaning towards the 5th year option path but Miami should do what they need to do for the salary cap. This was his 1st full season so I'm not that big on a huge contract extension for him at least as of yet. He's still under contract next year but I'm no expert on this contract stuff.

Tua could definitely use some improvement extending plays and making better decisions so hopefully he does improve in those areas regardless of whatever the Dolphins do.

Off topic but I enjoyed watching KC taking the Bills down tonight, that game could have gone either way. The Bills fan crying in the stands at the end was epic, we know what it feels like to lose a big game, but I'm more pissed than sad when Miami loses though because I'm cursing like a drunken sailor instead of crying like a f'ing powder puff.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 21, 2024 05:48PM

Next best thing to a Phins win...

Regarding the vote, I guess I don't like the phrasing of the 3rd option (which I picked). But, I think it's pretty clear he's not elite (at least not yet) and when I think of "could do better" I don't see anyone realistically available who is clearly better. I think he's our best option for now but am wary of committing to a crippling contract if he doesn't improve in the areas he needs to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2024 06:03PM by tsstamper.

Date: January 22, 2024 06:44AM

Pros: Most passing yardage in the NFL. Great locker room personality.
Started all 17 games.

Cons , can be unreliable, forces throws, we have a ton invested in him. Who is going to replace him?

Until a plan, a person,a better option becomes available .....TUAs not a bad QB. We pick 21st in the draft. Moving up would be reckless.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 22, 2024 01:50PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pros: Most passing yardage in the NFL. Great
> locker room personality.
> Started all 17 games.
>
> Cons , can be unreliable, forces throws, we have a
> ton invested in him. Who is going to replace him?
>
> Until a plan, a person,a better option becomes
> available .....TUAs not a bad QB. We pick 21st in
> the draft. Moving up would be reckless.

I can't choose any of the above options, either.

Until the opportunity is in front of the organization, Tua is the guy. Saying that, hopefully, McDaniels and Tua can develop a better strategy to not just get the ball out in a nano-second. Develop options for Tua to go throw in 2.75 seconds. A solid OLine would help, along with a power running game.

Yes, the Fins draft at 21, and it would be extremely stupid for Miami to trade up. They have way too many holes to fill, especially with so many free agents. Not gonna be able to sign too many of them, especially the starters.

Date: January 23, 2024 05:03AM

We would need to shit out a horse shoe to replace TUA .
Think back to 1982. We just came off a Superbowl run . Woodley played well enough to get the team to a Superbowl.

We picked 2nd to last in the draft. Then Marino falls.And keeps falling. I doubt Shula wanted to replace a guy who just got us to a Superbowl. But the clouds aligned that day for Miami. And we drafted the last 1st round QB. ( best player available). He didn't even start the season. But it was soon evident that He should be the new starter. Imagine that conversation with Woodley?

That's how we scored Tunsil in 2016. Pure luck he dropped. We need a great QB to drop 20 spots in the draft. Ain't gonna happen. TUA is it. And I'm fine with that. But he needs help. Sign a stud center. He keeps getting new people and it screws up the timing and the snaps.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 23, 2024 05:23AM

We should at least be looking for the next Brock Purdy in the later rounds. They completely missed on Purdy and took Skylar Thompson who came close to winning a play-off game against Buffalo.
Trouble is, Tua has never had any serious competition in camp. It's understood that any other QB is fighting for the back-up spot.

Date: January 23, 2024 05:33AM

Why is our best Oline player a highly paid LT when Tua's blind side is being protected by the RT?

Should never have drafted a leftie. When he got hurt the past two seasons he was replaced by right-handed QBs who had been starters in the league but, looked terrible when coming in off the bench.

Problem is that there is an awkward transition from a leftie to a rightie that the oline has a problem adapting to.

When Tua goes down, the season is over.

Date: January 23, 2024 07:32AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> We should at least be looking for the next Brock
> Purdy in the later rounds. They completely missed
> on Purdy and took Skylar Thompson who came close
> to winning a play-off game against Buffalo.
> Trouble is, Tua has never had any serious
> competition in camp. It's understood that any
> other QB is fighting for the back-up spot.

25 yrs we have been looking for a Purdy.....how's that worked out?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 23, 2024 08:03PM

Let's compare Herbert and Jackson -

Herbert already got a contract extension but the Chargers still haven't won shit, can't even get to a wildcard game. With that said Herbert basically hasn't proven a damn thing or that he can win any big game.

Jackson sat for 2 years, got injured 2 years in a row so the Ravens took a 5th year option on Lamar and now he's had a healthy season and playing lights out.

I really don't know what Miami is going to do about Tua. He's still under contract this coming season. He started off hurt in Miami and sat to heal. He then had multiple partial seasons because of injuries. Maimi has at least made it to a wildcard playoff spot 2 years in a row for the first time in ages and Tua has finally played his 1st full season. If it weren't for the Titans loss Miami would have clinched the division after beating Dallas. The end of the season was horrible I feel in part to a shit ton of player injuries.
So my question is what would a sensible GM do in Tua' situation?

Date: January 24, 2024 04:21AM

Herbert and the Chargers were in the wildcard round last season and got beat by Jacksonville.

To answer your question, a sensible GM would exercise Tua's 5th year option. If we make it to the play-offs next year then pay him.

Date: January 24, 2024 05:23AM

I'm all ears. Your tired of TUA? OK. Who are we going to get who's better? Jets tried that route with Rodger's . We know how that worked out. As long as he's not overpaid, has a bunch of incentives, playoffs superbowl ect. I'm OK with it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 25, 2024 03:53AM

Actually, my choice on the poll above was "We're stuck with him so, let's make the best of it."

I'm curious, do you consider 50 MILLION a year "not overpaid"?

You're ok with paying Tua 50 mil and letting Wilkins walk because we can't afford him?

I'm not saying to dump Tua, I'm saying get him some serious competition, something that has never been tried before.

This past season we swung for the fences but, the ball landed just past 2nd base.

Posted by: phins169 ()
Date: January 25, 2024 03:59AM

Part of the problem with Tua is that he came out of college so over hyped. He basically played on an NFL team in the college ranks which covered his flaws pretty well. Now that he is in the big boy league, his warts are showing and things aren't so rosy. Right now, the Phins are in a tough spot. If they hand him a contract and Tua has hit his ceiling, then they fall back into the Tannehill trap all over again. If they wait and he balls out, then they are stuck paying a premium for a QB that could at any time, get hurt. Some will point out that he made it through a full season but if most were objective, they would admit that as soon as there was pressure, Tua went into self-preservation mode. I fall on the side of, he is the best we have for now! I am not for a big long term contract, more of a shorter prove it type. Don't want another 5 to 7 years of Tannehill.

Date: January 25, 2024 05:00AM

I'm starting to read some articles about possible TUA " trade scenarios ". Top 3 teams needing a QB are The Falcons, Vikings, and the Broncos. If we are offered a decent trade scenario......including a 1st rounder do we take a chance?
I'm not about getting rid of him. He played insane early on, finished as the #1 passer rating and yardage. But damn he was inconsistent in December. Everyone has an off day... but an off month?

Does a new rookie step in and win if we can one? McDaniels wasn't here when TUA was drafted. Maybe he knows something we don't?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 26, 2024 03:04AM

"We are stuck with him...." I believe too much is currently invested in him (time and effort) and that Tua needs some additional "fine tuning" to see if he can get us to a division title and to win play off games...at least. With the injuries sustained to important players we can only hope they recover and are near 100% in August. If we draft some quality linemen talent adding depth if not starters to the team, it is possible for that talent to carry us into December and win when it really counts. However, things need to be significantly improved upon and that's offensive and defensive play calling. Too many ill-conceived calls left us vulnerable and games were lost. With a new DC on the horizon (somewhere) we can only hope the defensive schemes correct what we all saw.

Somethings with Tua can be corrected, but I seriously doubt one that can't be improved upon is running speed and mobility, the other is improving his weak throwing arm. He could be taught to be more deceptive with ball handling that might give him more opportunities to confuse linebackers and secondary. We have talent at running back with Achane and Mostert and that is super, but they need to get free more easily and deceptive ball handling might do it...sometimes.

We need to continually look for a QB. Purdy has been a surprise and Goff has done well under Campbell's coaching team. A QB is a fungible position unless you already have a first rate QB riding the big wave of success. We don't have that, so there will always be doubt about Tua's status among the winning QBs in the league. Passing yardage and stats used to mean a lot and now those stats don't always indicate a winning coach or team. Let's hope the off season produces improvements where they need to be improved. A season that craps out will mark big changes needed again...and most of us are tired of the vicious circle of hirings and changes.

Date: January 26, 2024 04:12AM

And I have no problem being " stuck with hin". He proved he could play a full season.....albeit he ran out of gas in December.

My only issue is $50 million a year. We need to afford other players to be a contender. He's just not worth a $200 million contract.

I would be OK with half that and incentives if he plays in at least 10 games and gets us to the playoffs.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 26, 2024 04:43AM

I haven't watched "Hard Knocks" but, some who have seen the last episode say that Tua is way out of shape, as in too many happy meals.
Polynesian people often do balloon out when they reach adulthood as a result of a western diet in conflict with generations of established genetic make-up. Tua needs to keep a close watch on what he eats or it will slow him down more than it already has.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 26, 2024 10:02AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> I haven't watched "Hard Knocks" but, some who have
> seen the last episode say that Tua is way out of
> shape, as in too many happy meals.
> Polynesian people often do balloon out when they
> reach adulthood as a result of a western diet in
> conflict with generations of established genetic
> make-up. Tua needs to keep a close watch on what
> he eats or it will slow him down more than it
> already has.

It's funny you mention that, Hooligan-because on the one episode of Hard Knocks I did watch (I won't watch the rest...what's the point) I did think to myself "isn't Tua a teeeeny bit overweight around the middle?"

This reminds me of a report I saw a few years ago (maybe a mini-documentary) addressing obesity among native Polynesian people in Hawaii. To your point above, they addressed it by recommending a diet containing about a dozen foods also native to the area, as you mentioned. It worked well. I'm not saying that Tua needs to go on a fish-and-taro diet but your point about genetics is well taken.

Date: January 26, 2024 03:05PM

In his defense I think they wanted him to put some weight on.....but hes carrying it on his ass......

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 27, 2024 06:18AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> In his defense I thismileys with beernk they wanted him to put some
> weight on.....but hes carrying it on his ass......

smileys with beer
LOL you nailed it!

My oldest son has Polynesian blood thanks to his mother. He has God given ass and massive thighs inherited from his grandfather who scared the hell out of me when I met him, His legs are strong as f..k. When he was a newborn in the hospital a nurse told me he reminded her of Mr Peanut.

Now that he's 40, he eats a vegan and fruit diet to look slimmer. Doesn't eat any meat unless it's fish on rare occasions.

Date: January 28, 2024 04:31PM

808phan Wrote:
> He has God given ass

Well I hope you named him Ziggy---or David, because that line is straight out of that David Bowie song Ziggy Stardust grinning smiley

> a nurse told me he reminded her of Mr Peanut.
>

LMAO

Date: January 28, 2024 04:40PM

JC Wrote:
> 808phan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He has God given ass
>
> Well I hope you named him Ziggy---or David,
> because that line is straight out of that David
> Bowie song Ziggy Stardust grinning smiley
>
>
> > a nurse told me he reminded her of Mr Peanut.
> >
>
> LMAO

I'm glad you caught that as I am a Bowie fan lol!

Sadly his mother insisted him being a Jr after me. BUT my youngest son's middle name is Kawika ( the w pronounced as a v), which is David in Hawaiian winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2024 04:43PM by 808phan.

Date: January 29, 2024 05:41AM

808phan Wrote:

> I'm glad you caught that as I am a Bowie fan lol!
>
> Sadly his mother insisted him being a Jr after me.
> BUT my youngest son's middle name is Kawika ( the
> w pronounced as a v), which is David in Hawaiian
> winking smiley

OH that is awesome!! haha. thumbs up

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 08, 2024 01:11PM

No. 1 injury away from career ending can't extend plays or drives nor beat top teams. Plays scared

Date: March 08, 2024 02:00PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> No. 1 injury away from career ending can't extend
> plays or drives nor beat top teams. Plays scared

It's the Oline stupid!! ( not you , just a saying) they havnt drafted a decent Olineman since Long. We are due. Get Tua a stud center and another guard. A few players that can Stay healthy. They give him an extra second to plant his feet he can be very accurate when not being rushed.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 10, 2024 09:34AM

Can't blame the OL for everything. Reality is since the injury he plays scared and throws in like 3 seconds can't extend plays or drives and is slow on foot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.