HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Positives and Negatives
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Positives and Negatives
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 09, 2024 11:54AM

I didn't think Miami would beat the Bills, especially with so many starters out, then losing three more in the game. I recorded the game, as I no longer want to sit through a bad Dolphins' game. The second half play allowed me to delete the game, without watching it.

The Chiefs game on Peacock? How can the NFL get away with that? Money, money, money! Evidently Peacock put down some big bucks. NFL Network usually replays games sometime during the week.

Positives: it was a good season for the Fins; lot of good things happened...good record, some impressive wins, playoffs. Tua: he is a good QB, as long as things fall into place. Very quick release allowing his receivers to run after the catch. Two WRs going over 100 catches and 1,000 yards,each, almost getting Hill his 2,000 yards. Tua threw for 4,000+ yards. Pay him what he is worth, not based on what other QBs have received. OLine, played well, even without the regulars. Defense, once Ramsey got on the field, played well except for a couple of late games. Miami beat the teams they should have (excepting Tenn). McDaniel had the offense humming the majority of the season. Grier: did a good job bringing in some key players (i.e., Hill). Needs to continue doing that this off season.

Negatives: Miami could not win against the good teams (except Dallas). Wasn't really even in those games. Tua: good QB, but definitely not elite. Seems like he throws ints at crunch time, but not his fault 100%; his OLine also seems to fail as Tua is either rushed to throw or he gets sacked. Miami's draft position will not allow Miami to get an elite college QB, but they have too many other positions they need help in to worry about a college QB. Not saying Miami shouldn't draft one, but sometime in the draft get one and who knows (can anyone say Tom Brady)? Receivers: Hill and Waddle will be back, so the firepower will be there. McDaniel has to utilize his other receivers more than what he has. McDaniel is an offensive "genius", but he needs to be more flexible in his play calling and don't be so stubborn in needing to make adjustments. Depended too much on OLmen with injury history, i.e., Armstead. Granted, when (semi) healthy, he is very good and is the heart of that line, but how many games has he missed since joining the Fins? I understand that injuries happen, that's the way it is in the NFL, but Miami seems to lose players at a high rate, i.e., Ramsey, X, Phillips, Van Ginkel, Baker, Holland, Chubb, etc...Have to figure out the reason(s) behind this. Miami will be limping in vs KC. Miami could have a top rated defense, but as I just said, injuries killed the Fins. Fangio also has to loosen up with his play calling. Miami just can't seem to beat the good teams, whether on the road or at home;. That has to change. With so many players on the last year of their contracts, Miami will lose the majority of them. Can Grier come up with the money to pay Wilkens? Because of this situation, this will be a very important off season for Grier to get the right players, both through FA and the draft.

I have been with this team for many, many years, but I have been burned out so many times. They need to knock off KC to keep my interest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Positives and Negatives
Date: January 10, 2024 05:19AM

Good post.

Just too many injuries. And we still had Buffalo beat. 2 touchdowns were gimmies. That batted pass? Geez..... Makes me want to believe in New Logo curses.95 punt return? Bullshit.

If they don't resign Wilkins I'm going to have a hard time being positive in the future.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 10, 2024 06:44AM

Completely agree regarding injuries - if it's possible, we gotta get to the cause(s) of this impacting us so significantly every year. I get tired of the "everyone suffers injuries every year" narrative. Sure they do, but that doesn't mean that the impact is the same across the board...whether quantity or quality/value.
- We spent a good portion of the year with 3-4 of our projected starting 5 OL not starting.
- Waddle would be a #1 receiver on most teams
- both Chubb and Phillips are near elite at an impact position
The list goes on, but I won't.

I think there's a good bit more meat on the bone in terms of the potential both on offense and defense.
- I think McDaniels is smart enough to continue to evolve. We ran into injuries and McDaniels seemingly reverting to old ways in crunch time that cost us. He's seemed to be smart enough and humble enough to adjust broadly, and I hope that can continue and we can benefit from it. I actually think a good bit of the meat on the bone is actually incorporating things that don't rely so heavily on the high-end talent and timing.
- Fangio had our defense humming when he had a reasonable number of talented chess pieces. Using Buffalo as a bit of a barometer, we gave up 48 in week 4 and only 14 on defense in week 18.

We need a good draft and OL would be a critical part of that. Due to not rising to the occasion at crunch time, I don't know that reasonable health would have really made us legit SB contenders this year, but I think it would have legitmized our spot at the #2 seed in the playoffs.

I'm sure the KC game will continue to shape my perspective.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 10, 2024 07:30AM

Way too many injuries. We're talking about 1/2 of the 52 man roster. This team would have achieved more with a healthy roster so I can't blame the players, not even Tua.

When you have good chemistry with the best 2 WR's on the team and they aren't in the game it makes it easier to defend against the others.

I'm not even mad about losing to Buffalo. These guys tried as a patchwork on both sides of the ball and that's a lot to ask for. A healthy roster would have made a difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.