Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Do we need to draft a dependable QB- because this kid ISN'T.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Do we need to draft a dependable QB- because this kid ISN'T.
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 07, 2024 07:06PM

I am sick and tired of idiots like Omar Kelly, Travis Wingfield, Kyle Crabbs and a few others who try to convince us that this kid is a GREAT QB- so far as I am concerned, he isn't even a good QB. Yeah, he has gaudy (kind of like costume jewelry) numbers, but he doesn't win the big ones. Yes, he managed to squeak out the Cowboys game, but the BIG ones -the ones we have to win- he ALWAYS falls short(except one time in college that got him drafted). FIVE 3-and-outs in the second half. Awful. Interception to LOSE the game- Unacceptable! Does anybody on this team know that in the NFL you HAVE to win the 4th quarter to win the game? This team, from the coach to the QB, don't have that ability. I saw poor coverage, poor blocking, and giving up on the running game- all in the second half. We didn't even show up for much of the fourth quarter. We need a new QB- preferably one with "IT". Tua, regardless what TUANON (Omar Kelly's 'friends') says, Tua does NOT have 'IT'. He never did and never will. All he can do is give us interesting September-November games and a disastrous December(2-2, 0-2 in must-win games) and I don't have any confidence in him in January, either. Who can we pawn him off on? Maybe we can trade him for Bill Belicheat. He knows how to win the big ones, if he has the horses. We have the horses.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we need to draft a dependable QB- because this kid ISN'T.
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 08, 2024 12:51AM

I fear the front office will pay him and let players like Wilkins walk (because we can't afford him) and lock us into mediocrity for the next 5 years.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 08, 2024 04:14AM

I agree, I think we have seen Tua at his best and its not good enough. Cut your losses now and move now. Im almost as equally displeased w/ Wilkens. He is too immature. He needs to channel his energies into being dominate and a team leader.

I said in the preseason this team should go 13-3 and they did not. Front office has to make some hard decisions. This is a good team but there are problems that need to be corrected. Team plays hard but does not always win the 'brain game'. That is on the head coach.

Date: January 08, 2024 04:37AM

TUA may just need elite players surrounding him. It worked when they were healthy. If they don't pay him the moon and the stars, leave room for linemen and improvements, I'm OK with signing him.

He may not be elite. But he's a pretty accurate Game manager when everyone is healthy.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: January 08, 2024 05:33AM

The inconsistency with him is what kills me. Start hot, move the ball manage the team and score. Next quarter is bad throws, no additional reads, throws into 3 defenders ending up in a pick etc etc.

He showed some mobility last night which surprised me, but that is the extent of his legs.

I want to believe in the kid, but at this point, his record appears to be hyped too much based on how he got there; playing non winning teams that allowed Miami to flourish.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 08, 2024 12:59PM

The two things that keep me from essentially bailing on Tua right now:

1. Does a team absolutely need a truly elite QB to legitimately compete for a SB?

2. Tua has annually improved on pretty "big chunk" things in his game. I can't remember each year's improvement, but the past 2 yrs (in my opinion) have been deep ball (2022) and maintaining health (2023). Certainly, there have been other improvements...just thinking of the "big chunk" ones.

I know he'll never be Mahomes, Manning, Brady, etc. But, can he continue improving in significant ways that either overcome or minimize the gaps. That's worth something.

And, all of this is within the framework of NBA (next best alternative). Mahomes' don't grow on trees...

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 08, 2024 01:56PM

I give the Bills credit for their defense improving in the 2nd half. Our featured RB Mostert was out, Our WR2 was out, our starting Oline hasn't played together since week 2, and our WR1 was on the sideline because of a big hit on the previous play when Tua threw the game losing INT.

Would the Bills have been as good if just Diggs were out? I doubt it. Was it Tua's fault that a punt was returned for a TD? Was it Tua's fault that the Bills marched down the field to score again after that? No and no.

Did anyone have any realistic confidence that Miami would win this game before it even started? I sure as hell didn't.

Date: January 10, 2024 10:53AM

"1. Does a team absolutely need a truly elite QB to legitimately compete for a SB?"
Elite? No. Consistent? Absolutely yes. Joe Flacco with the Ravens was definitely not elite, but he was consistently dependable with the things he that he did.

Rick

Date: January 10, 2024 11:24AM

I am sick and tired of everybody making excuses for this kid. Face it, this kid CANNOT get it done and excuses for him will just result in another Ryan Tannehill situation. At least this kid has gotten us to the playoffs, even though we don't have a very good chance of actually winning it.
What really bothers me is that certain local comemtators like Tagovailoa's approach to quarterbacking- they say that they 'love' his brooding way of taking responsibility for everything-not the way most QB's do, but he apparently actually believes it. I don't want a brooding 'hero' type, but a QB that approches the game the way a guy with 'IT' does (Marino, Elway, Kelly, Staubach, Mahomes and a very few others)- with supreme self-confidence in their abilities and their team. Does this guy fill you with confidence every time he walks on the field? Of course not. We know that this kid doesn't inspire any of us. We need a QB that does that.

Rick

Date: January 10, 2024 04:43PM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "1. Does a team absolutely need a truly elite QB
> to legitimately compete for a SB?"
> Elite? No. Consistent? Absolutely yes. Joe Flacco
> with the Ravens was definitely not elite, but he
> was consistently dependable with the things he
> that he did.

Well said. smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 11, 2024 06:52AM

Tua is neither elite nor consistent. He puts up insane numbers against the average and below average teams and then his numbers fall off considerably against the better teams. For the 2nd time in two years we will likely get bounced out of the play-offs in the first round indicating that we really didn't belong in the play-offs to begin with. As a team we haven't improved at all over last season, even though Tua stayed healthy. Injuries were the excuse last season also.
Where do we go from here? Hope that Tua gets even better? Hope for an even more friendly schedule?
When I think of an elite QB I think of one that has it all, a powerful accurate arm, quick decision making and the threat of being able to take off and run for a 1st down. The teams in the play-offs making noise have that, the ones limping in do not.

Date: January 11, 2024 02:29PM

I'm not a TUA fan boy , but I think we are putting a little too much blame on him for the demise. He developed chemistry with recievers, lineman , then they go down . Thus game often depends on fractions of a second to be successful. That doesn't absolve him of throwing into traffic in middle 3 times in a row , 2 weeks in a row.......but half this team is on IR. Ross would be a fool to pay him elite money, but getting rid of the league leading passer would be just stupid. Unless we drafted one and he takes off like Marino did in 83' or Tannehill with the Titans. Light a fire under him, force him to a incentive ladden contract , but getting rid of him would be nuts.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 11, 2024 04:53PM

Just a thought.

How good would the phins be "if" all the key players on both sides were still active and healthy for Saturday's game?

When key players fall, this team has a hard time recovering. At the end of the day, the QB is the guy that sets the tone for the game.

Hate to say it, but no matter who Brady had, he found a way to make it work; Tua doesn't seem to have that gift.

Date: January 12, 2024 09:19AM

You can't get rid of Tua at this point, that would be ludicrous. I blame McD for the lousy play calling that relies too heavily on Hill and Waddle while the elite teams spread the ball around to 7 or 8 receivers during the course of a game. McD should give up play calling as he's really terrible at it.

Date: January 12, 2024 10:54AM

chatafkup Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a thought.
>
> How good would the phins be "if" all the key
> players on both sides were still active and
> healthy for Saturday's game?
>
> When key players fall, this team has a hard time
> recovering. At the end of the day, the QB is the
> guy that sets the tone for the game.
>
> Hate to say it, but no matter who Brady had, he
> found a way to make it work; Tua doesn't seem to
> have that gift.

Yes. Watching Brady in Tampa , yeah he had something for sure. He's a winner.

You cant find that in the draft. No way to test for it. Brady was a 6th round prospect.

But you don't need it to win a championship. Be easier to just get TUA more help. Starting with a center.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 13, 2024 08:20PM

Take another look at the starting offense, everybody who isn't on IR played this game, lots of the starting players, but NOBODY got it done tonight. Well, they have 8 months to think about it, lets hope that they respond something like the '72 team did after their humiliation in the '71 Super Bowl against Dallas. But then again, we don't have a leader like Bob Griese.

Rick

Date: January 13, 2024 08:25PM

"But you don't need it to win a championship. Be easier to just get TUA more help. Starting with a center."

More Excuses.
That's why we got stuck with Ryan Tannehill for 7 lousy years.
Besides, we have a damn good center..when he's healthy.

Rick

Date: January 13, 2024 08:33PM

Well, that isn't true, but he doesn't spread the ball around very well, either. Ludricrous it definitely is not. Is he worth the utterly ridiculous amount of money it would take to sign him? No Way!
However, our options are limited so we'll be stuck with him. The only positive that I can think of is that he has shown an ability to learn over the off-season, so maybe he can learn to be effective in night games, big games, and games against the better teams. I'll hope, but I won't believe until he SHOWS me that he can do it.

Rick

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 14, 2024 02:53AM

Here we go again. We are now back on critiquing our QB. Is is justified? Yes, it is.

Unless I missed something during the Tua era, Tua has not been able to put it in to overdrive and win any big game. Then there's McDaniel and the coaching staff.

Sometimes the play calling is quite good, but McDaniels fails to adjust to adjustments made by the defense. Too much of the offense is dependent on Tua's connection with Hill. McDaniel is obsessed it seems with making plays only with Hill. The other receivers are an afterthought. Waddle is a great player and is often left out of the plays being called. The use of movement is good but McDaniel must include other very competent receivers. He doesn't.

Pounding the ball is sketchy at best. Achane and Mostert are very good players and when the 0-line is incapable of make holes for them, passing to them makes sense to me but is seldom done. Then I have to come back to Tua. Ball handling and deception isn't in the picture. There are other QBs out there that are very good at it and you can tell because the camera men lose track of the action. That seldom happens with Tua's ball handling. One or two seconds of confusion would help our team on the ground. I will go on...Tua isn't our QB. We need one with a better, stronger arm, one with greater mobility and speed, plus a toughness that makes the defense wonder what he's going to do with the ball.

Our D and O line players need better conditioning and strength. The better teams push them around and contribute to a poor, out of sync passing and a weak ground game.

Date: January 14, 2024 07:29AM

Imagine for a second, Allen in the pocket in a Miami uniform.

That is a game changing player that keeps defenses guessing because he can do it all.

Tua is fragile, immobile and flatfooted. I don't think McDaniels has the balls to admit Tua is not the answer and can't deliver what this team needs.

As long as I can recall Miami has been missing key players in many positions, this team is now built to win with MANY pieces to be great.

The young man in the pocket just "ain't got it!"

One game he's on it, next game he sucks. This is why I can't back this kid.

He needs to go

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2024 07:33AM by chatafkup.

Date: January 14, 2024 09:07AM

You don't get rid of an old torn winter jacket until you get another to replace it.

Franchise Tag him , draft a new back.

That takes away from building on this current team.

TUA did not play well. I'm not make any excuses for him , but the Dolphins have had success they havnt had in a while.

Dolphins can beat the bad teams, not the good ones.

I remember not too long ago......Miami couldn't beat the bad teams either. We rolled through a few teams in September.
We are vastly improved.

Get healthy. Sign players like Wilkins and Van Ginkle......tag TUA . Tell him to step it up or else.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 14, 2024 09:20AM

We don't need to tag Tua for next season, that's the 5th year option that was negotiated, you would have to tag him the following year but, then you would be over-paying him for one year.
I suggest playing him next season as a make-or-break deal and draft a mid-round QB to light a fire under Tua's ass.

Date: January 14, 2024 09:51AM

TUA has made/ thrown some killer balls this season. Think back over 17 games.

TUAs knock is INTs late in the season. Hopefully McDaniels can get to the bottom of it. I believe it's fixable. I didn't think he could ever start 17 games.

Our issue remains the trenches. We are fast. Get stronger. Healthier.....the trick is doing this while keeping key players in the salary cap.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 14, 2024 12:39PM

Agreed with those who would say the 5th year option is the way to go. Sadly, that removes the possibility of cap flexibility from a new contract...but the $23M for 1 yr seems like the right decision in this context.

He has improved in significant ways every year, with 2023's significant improvement being that he stayed healthy. I think he will improve, McD will improve and the offense will evolve in a good way. Will the improvement be enough? Will Tua ever be able to overcome what appear to be his remaining "fatal" faults? Time will likely tell.

In terms of envisioning Allen on our team, the saying "if my uncle had tits he'd be my aunt" comes to mind, meaning that's just not the reality. Not throwing shade, just trying to bring some humor to the idea :-). But the broader point there is that for every decision, one major factor is "next best alternative". There's not presently, that I see, a clear better alternative to Tua. Not to say it couldn't change, of course.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 14, 2024 02:47PM

There's a lot of blame to go around and issues besides Tua to point fingers at. McD might want to see if he can adapt plays to every opponent before and during games instead of having tunnel vision the whole time week in and week out.

Seems like all any team has to do to stop this passing offense is maul their assigned receiver at the line or after 2 seconds to disrupt timing. Tua needs to make better decisions and learn how to extend plays just a little longer.

I've seen a lot of 3rd and long plays converted by opponents all season long because of soft zone coverage. The defense played better being aggressive and blitzing more. Fangio needs to get his head out of his butt and let these guys bring pressure more often.

Another issue is staying healthy. There's more than one player who's missed multiple games every season since being a Dolphin. Talent means nothing when it can't be used. I'm really tired of seeing the same guys getting hurt year after year.

Until multiple issues are addressed we will all see the same thing next season. Let's hope for things to get better.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 15, 2024 02:32AM

Agree with what's being said about Tua. Good kid, good game manager, just can't get it done against good competition.

McD needs to stop calling plays like he's playing Madden.

That said, this is the result of a rebuild that started in 2019. 5 years of what was supposed to be an annual SB contender and we haven't even won a playoff game. That's the fault of the architect...Chris Grier.

Now we have the same questions at QB and enter the offseason $40+ million over the cap.

Time to show Grier the door.

Date: January 15, 2024 12:41PM

$40 million? I had no idea we were that much over. Holy shit he went on a spending spree!! sad smiley

Ok. Then. If you approach this logically we know TUA is capable of being great , but he's inconsistent. Why? The oline has done well run blocking.....especially with FB Alex Ingold leading the way. Armstead is a probiwl lineman. When healthy TUA was a different player. When waddle and Hill were healthy and he could get rid of the ball quicker he's was spot on.

Conclusion.....we need to draft 2 pass protection lineman.

They are going to have to start at the top and get rid of all the dead wood. We can't afford a great player who is hurt 10 games.

Howard is a luxury. So is Armstead. Could name a fee more on defense.we are a legitimate top 10 team. Time to start making this team a legitimate Superbowl contender.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 15, 2024 03:05PM

Yep - a cool $40M. That includes Tua's $23M for his 5th year option. I will say that, presently, 2025 & 2026 we're $40M & $80M under, respectively. That puts us in the bottom 1/2 league-wide both years...but 2024 is sort of our "high water mark" for cap space as it sits currently.

I think the likely significant moves to get there are:
- cut Ogbah save $13.8M
- cut Baker save $9.9M
- post June 1 cut Howard save $18.5M

Probably some restructuring to be able to sign players, etc.

Armstead apparently thinking about retirement, which could give add'l savings. I like having him, but it's gotta be tough for your body to have multiple ailments year in & year out.

I do agree that drafting OL should be a big priority.

Date: January 15, 2024 03:43PM

In one respect Tua is consistent, he's consistently bad in adverse weather so, if we can't finish the regular season with a home play-off game then we'll be consistently "one and done".

Date: January 16, 2024 03:35AM

"McD needs to stop calling plays like he's playing Madden."

Now that's funnysmileys with beer

Well we can rant and talk sh*t but they're already stating Tua is here to stay over long term.

Hopefully it doesn't translate to a "long term" Tua post game explanation as to why they lost and long term mic analogies from McDaniels acting like he took a huge bong rip in the bathroom.

Is it just me, or does that kid seem high AF all the time?grinning smiley

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.