HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tua doesn't have "IT"
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tua doesn't have "IT"
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: November 07, 2023 06:32PM

This kid pisses me off. I didn't want them to draft him, and I wasn't happy that they did. Maybe now everybody realizes that as long as we've got this kid we won't win any games where the pressure is on at the end. He plays well against the mediocre teams, but in a pressure-packed game he may play well early , but if it is close at the end he has a history of falling apart and playing poorly when it counts(he wilts like a hot house flower- another old Rick Weaver saying). This doesn't sound or look like a franchise QB. Your thoughts?

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tua doesn't have "IT"
Date: November 08, 2023 06:36AM

I wasn't a Fan of drafting him after his pelvis injury. Often injured, lefty , short.....not in the first round anyway.

Then he remained often injured. Had a terrifying moment were he was Cleary having a neurological incident.

That said.......when he has a team around him , linemen blocking.....he is as good as anyone.

HE doesn't play well against mediocre teams.....His Oline does . HE doesn't choke against the better teams....His Oline does .

Tyreek had a bad day. It happens to everyone. He wasn't relaxed and smooth, he was crazy amped up to show his old team who he is. He dropped many perfectly thrown balls and that high snap wasn't Tuas fault.

I was wrong about TUA. TUA is what's advertised. He needs a quality Center and healthy Guards.Hes as good as anyone and better then most.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2023 06:38AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 08, 2023 09:02AM

I also was against drafting Tua, because of him being injury prone.

What impresses me most about him (and this might have been his biggest selling point) is his character. That alone sells some tickets and jerseys....well jerseys at least. Nobody is buying tickets except fans of the visiting team.

I cringe when he makes some throws into coverage. but what frustrates me the most is the snap exchange. That might be 95% the center's fault but the QB needs to fix it.. do 200 snaps after practice...fix it Tua.

But I don't hate the guy. I'm rooting for him 100%

Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: November 08, 2023 09:21AM

It's been like this for many years.

Start out 3-0 then come down to reality by getting destroyed by buffalo.

There were other 3 and 0 starts like the year we play the Saints and drew brees. Here we were 3 and 0. Then come back to reality by been blown out by the saints and brees.

Until then 2023 has been the same as every other year.

Maybe one day we can turn it around and right ship.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 08, 2023 12:25PM

I think the definition of "IT" is succeeding when the pressure's high and others around you aren't rising to the occasion. For me, I thought he had "IT" at his time of drafting based upon what he did w/Alabama and specifically the 2nd half of the national championship game. I currently genuinely don't know if he actually does or not...and have even thought about the concept of whether there might be degrees of "IT".

If having "IT" is something that can't be developed, you either have it or don't, I lean toward him not having it based upon what he's shown when the game is on the line in a Phins uniform. If it's something that can be had in degrees (vs. yes/no), I think he has more "IT" than a lot of QBs, but not as much as Mahomes or Burrow, for instance.

I then think about a team's chances of winning a SB with a QB who doesn't have "IT". Almost exclusively for the past 20 years, the SB-winning QB is someone who clearly had "IT". Exceptions for me would be Flacco and possibly Foles (who I believe had "IT" for a brief run). That's what's scariest about the degree theory - Mahomes & Burrow (both in AFC) demonstrably (to date) have more "IT" than Tua. So, if we face them in the playoffs in upcoming years, one could reasonably expect them to rise to the occasion more often than Tua.

I desperately want to be swayed back to leaning towards believing he has "IT". But, the number of times he's risen to the occasion and been the key factor in winning when the stakes are high and the game is on the line? I can only think of a couple. There was a 'moment of truth' opportunity (actually 2 in a row) on 3rd and 4th down on Sunday. In my opinion, Mahomes and Burrow hit the throw to Wilson...or, if they don't, they handle 4th down snap and hit Waddle for a 1st down at least.

Date: November 08, 2023 03:57PM

Did Marino have " it"?

confused smiley

Of course he did. But unfortunately his defense never had " it" either.

I'm not saying TUA is Dan Marino. But why is it any different? This is a Team sport. One thing I do like about this team is the morale. Locker room seems to be great. That's SO important. And I believe that's because of two people. HILL on offense and Wilkins on defense.
Those two are leaders. They have "it" in spades.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 08, 2023 06:57PM

Agreed it's a team game, and I think we have the most complete team we've had in decades. And, I agree that we have some real "it" guys and would add Ramsey to that list. I'm loving those things.

I truly don't know if he has "IT", but he plays the position that has outsized importance overall...so having "IT" as QB has an outsized impact.

All that said, I'm not sure he doesn't. And I have hope that he does. Like everyone here, I just want to win Super Bowls :-)

Forgetting the it factor, I love his character and how he's part of what appears to be a healthy locker room. And, I particularly love how he methodically improves on his weaknesses/areas for development. Every year he's a better version of himself, and that's highly commendable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2023 07:03PM by tsstamper.

Date: November 09, 2023 06:54AM

To me this is what having " it " intails

"Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa blames himself for mistakes on final two plays vs. Chiefs"

That was the headline this morning. No crybaby shit.No fi ger pointing....just I have to be better.

TUA basically said what JC said. It was 95% the back up centers fault. But TUA said , I have to be better and fix it . It's on me.

Could you see Josh Allen or Mahommes say that? Fing cry babies.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: November 10, 2023 04:29PM

I would be more pissed if I were a Panthers fan. They sold the house and barn to draft a QB at #1 overall who's 5'10" and can barely hit the broadside of a barn at the NFL level.

The 3 losses so far have been on the road against teams with a winning record. Miami has beat the teams who've beat the teams they've lost to. I'd be more worried if Miami's losses were to teams with a losing record. Buffalo lost to NE who Miami has swept. KC lost to Denver who Miami torched by 50 points. The Philly game was a total joke, it reminded me of a WWE wrestling match which makes me question the legitimacy of the NFL as a whole.

Miami needs to cut the penalties, stay healthy, protect the football, and call the right plays according to who their opponents are. If they can do that then they're capable of beating any team they play against with Tua at the helm. I was sceptical about drafting Tua as well but I think he can get the job done. He has made some brilliant plays but has also had some bad ones, just like every other QB in the NFL. I can say that Miami is a better team with him in the game compared to our backups. I can easily see the difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2023 04:31PM by 808phan.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 12, 2023 02:00AM

I think Mahommes is the only "IT" QB out there today. With his agility and high football IQ he can dazzle the opposing defenses confusing them at the most inopportune times. Tua on the other hand has yet to show "come back" ability and this may be due to an o-line that really fades at the most inopportune times--when it really counts to excel.

Our next game is with the Jets and their defense may cause Tua's / WR timing to be off. Tua has to improvise when that happens and that appears to be difficult for him to solve. WRs need to improvise too when timing is off and it doesn't appear that happens. It is something both positions need to be practice and practice, IMO.

Date: November 12, 2023 05:49PM

Did Trent Diffler or Brad Johnson have it? No not close... but they had great teams.

That's why I was such a fan of Tannehill. Did he have it? You saw the difference wen he had a better team.

Did Mahommes have it when they lost to the same team we beat by over 50 points?
Did he flex his super powers and win?

What is "it"? Did Tom Brady have "it"?
Tom Brady Always had great recievers, tight ends, and a decent running game. Great Olinemen like Benard Mankins and one of the best defense nose guards Vince Wilfork.

Tua has plenty of " it" to win. But after 3 seasons McDaniels has to see he is much more comfortable behind a strong line. We all saw it. We all stated it. But all we got was more defensive players to a squad already playing well.

Now the defense is adequate at best , down from last years play and our Oline looks like an emergency room on a Sat. Night.

TUA is doing his job. He threw a few INTs he probably shouldn't have, but overall he's killing it. Defense is just waking up and Tyreek Hill had a rare bad day.

If I'm Coach McDaniels I'm not having TUA over for lunch to discuss his play during this break. I'm scouring for Available Oline to not get Achane killed when he returns. I'm double checking with Fagini to see how he makes his squad better. I'd have special teams on the hot seat . I'd have the kicker doing extra practice and I'd have the center doing 100 more snaps per practice.

I'd tell the next defensive player that misses a tackle they have to wear the opposing teams Jersey at dinner all week.

This season is far from over. But " it" is a team aspiration. No one player can do it himself.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: November 13, 2023 06:19AM

At this point I think Tua has enough "IT" to win most of the time. It appears to me that it's McD's play-calling that sets the stage for losses. Throwing the ball to Tyreek always draws a crowd nowadays and doing so behind the line of scrimmage usually leads to losses. It's an attacking philosophy that should dictate the play-calling.
Good defenses like KC have learned to cover Tyreek when he's strolling behind the LOS but not when he's blazing across the middle or down the sidelines and it always frees up one of the other receivers.

Re: Tua doesn't have "IT"-What 'IT' is!
Date: November 18, 2023 12:37AM

Yes, that's it exactly! Guys saying stuff like 'the defense had 'it' for a little while' tells me that they don't get it at all! 'IT' is a VERY rare commodity. You either have it or you don't-it's a binary thing. Only Quarterbacks can have 'IT', these guys handle the ball on every play, and damn few of them do. Danny had more of 'IT' than anybody else I can think of, but Roger Staubach, John Elway, Joe Namath, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, Johnny Unitas and a few others have had 'IT' too. Not very many others, 'IT' is very RARE. It's that quality that very few have- when they walk out on that field, you KNOW that they know that they're going to win- and you know it too. Supreme confidence!

Rick

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2023 12:47AM by dolphan4545.

Date: November 18, 2023 11:59AM

YES. But " it" doesn't win you superbowls. You said it yourself.....Dan had " it" more then anyone.

TUA has more then enough to win us a Superbowl. This TEAM needs ti step up.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 18, 2023 12:13PM

I also think tua has enough it to get us far in the playoffs.

Date: November 18, 2023 08:09PM

No! No! No! It's a binary thing! Either 'yes' you have "IT" or 'no' you don't. Tua absolutely does NOT.

Rick

Date: November 19, 2023 09:31AM

Lol

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 20, 2023 08:48AM

Hey I think a qb that has the it factor passes for 325 yards 2 tds 1 pick and people say he had an off day.

Date: November 20, 2023 08:51AM

Imagine with a healthy oline. The sky is the limit. Time to let eich go back to the bench when we get some guys back.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 20, 2023 01:01PM

Tua is doing very well; top 5 in every category. Does he have "it"? I think he does, but he has to finish out this season healthy and get the Fins into the playoffs, and wins, at least, the first game. Then he does as well, if not better, next season, then there is no question that he has "it."

One thing Tua needs to work on is not throwing into a crowd. If he had a bazooka for an arm, then maybe he would get away with some of those throws, but too often he is either intercepted or almost intercepted. Find an open receiver or throw it away.

As has already been posted here, once the OL gets everyone back and playing well, maybe Tua will have that extra split second to find the open guy(s) instead of throwing into traffic. Also, the running game will be better, which in turn, will give him more time.

And yes, McDaniel has to come up with better 3rd or 4th and short. He has a couple of big RBs....use them!

Next are the Jets. Wilson will not be starting, so Fangio won't know what to expect from the Jets' offense. The way our D has been playing lately, the Jets' offense should have some real problems moving the ball.

Date: November 20, 2023 03:46PM

Those screens behind the line on 3rd and 4th.......Mike I might lose my shit if you keep doing it. Your reminding Me of Joe Philbin with a fancy gold watch and Ray Bans.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2023 03:46PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 21, 2023 08:48AM

So if you don't think he has "it" what/who is the solution?

What current QBs, besides Mahomes, do you think have "it"?

Tua is perfect for this system.

I think dropping 70 on Denver causes people to panic when we win ugly. We lose that Raiders game last year. We overcame 2 fumbles deep in our end and held on to win a close game. You need to learn how to win ugly to be successful in this league. That was an ugly win and he still threw for 325 yards.

So are you looking for "it" or perfect because I got news for you, you're not going to find it.

Date: November 21, 2023 09:29AM

Nope. " it" is a myth people get when things don't go as planned. Few yrs back people would be dying and praying for a QB with these numbers.

I wonder if the internet existed in 88' what would people be saying about Marino when he went 6-10?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 21, 2023 10:51AM

You're exactly right. The narrative on Tua is he only throws short passes and the talent around him does the rest. People hear that over and over and start believing it.

It it were that simple Bridgewater and Thompson would have flourished last year.

Date: November 22, 2023 03:56AM

Marino had "IT" but, Marino was a cocky pr1ck that sometimes had no time to sign autographs for his fans, including the kids. To my knowledge, Tua has always been willing to make time for his youngest fans. I'll take Tua over Dan as a model Dolphin.
What is this elusive "IT" thingee? Belief in ones-self? Tua has it.
Cockiness? Tua probably has some of that as evidenced by the corn-rows and the fresh ink on his arms.
The proof is in the pudding, let's see how far we can go in the play-offs. Tua may yet become an intolerable self-absorbed ass but, I'm hoping he stays healthy and collects his payday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2023 03:58AM by Hooligan2.

Date: November 22, 2023 08:19AM

Nah. TUA comes from good family. He came this close to not even going into the NFL.I know I didn't believe in him.That pain still lingers in his pelvis to remind him of how lucky he is.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 22, 2023 11:25AM

Yeah, he's from a strong, god fearing family background. I wonder what his parents think of the cornrows and the tattoos? Not exactly the mark of a good Christian boy. Maybe all those millions buys a lot of tolerance from Mom and Dad. Next, ear rings and the crosses on his cheeks will be tattooed on permanently.

Date: November 22, 2023 11:39AM

Cornrows are gone.

Date: November 27, 2023 07:27PM

Guys- let it go. I never said that Tua isn't a good QB, he is. I just said he doesn't have 'IT'. They are very different things.

Rick

Date: November 28, 2023 09:18AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guys- let it go. I never said that Tua isn't a
> good QB, he is. I just said he doesn't have 'IT'.
> They are very different things.

Well you made a statement . Then you want us to let it go. Then you say they are two very different things. Care to explain it?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.