HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Nope
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Nope
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 06, 2023 12:56PM

Well, I was hoping, but....

Guys, this is not a Super Bowl team. They have the talent, but don't have the "it."

The D played well enough to win, but the O just couldn't come through, and that falls on every one of them. Hill's fumble was a rarity, but there were a couple of passes he should have caught, and normally does, but not on this day. Mostert had good stats, but much of his yardage came late in the game when KC was playing the pass, which, of course, opened up the running game. His big negative was the fumble. Tua was off on quite a few of his passes, even the one's he completed, as he threw high and the receiver had to go up and get it. The big one, of course, was when he missed Wilson near the end of the game. Supposed miscommunication between the two of them. The fumbled snap on the last play of the game (for Miami)....the snap was a little wide, but I believe Tua could have snagged it. Maybe he was expecting it to come right to him and he was looking downfield to see where to go with the ball? Last but not least, the OLine played OK, and that's the best I can give them.

Not too much to complain about our D. Kelce had 3 catches for very little yardage, and Ramsey didn't even shadow him the whole game.

One other major issue that Miami has been having lately, and that's penalties. They've been taking one step forward then two steps back. They score and there's a yellow cloth sitting on the field. The majority of the flags are stupid, basically a lack of concentration.

So, they are now on a bye. Next game is the Raiders. A couple of weeks ago, I would have said to notch a W. The way they played yesterday? Now I'm not so sure. Then Miami travels to the Jets. They also have a good D, so my confidence in Miami handling good defenses has waned. The last three games on Miami's schedule? Dallas, at Baltimore, finally the Bills. Not so sure the Fins will even be a playoff team.

I can only hope during this bye they can get their act together and the offense return to form and the D continues to improve.

I have also read some articles and different posts where they are blaming Tua. That is pretty ignorant; this guy is setting all kinds of NFL records, both for himself and this offense. Even when he isn't on his game, he still plays better than a lot of QBs. Maybe Marino can settle him down and show him what he has been doing wrong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nope
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 06, 2023 03:53PM

I'm not among those who are blaming Tua. There's plenty of blame to go around. But, in the last 2 plays with the game on the line at the Chiefs 31 (as you outline in your post):
- he threw a pass 8 yards behind Wilson when Wilson was 3+ yards in front of the defender for an easy TD.
- he mishandled a snap that was off target but he probably handles it 80% of the time...it wasn't that bad a snap. To make matters worse, Waddle (I believe it was him) was breaking wide open for the TD on that play.

So, I do have concern about him having "it" when all the chips are down and the game is on the line. I thought he had "it" when we drafted him due to his coming into the 2nd half of the national championship game to deliver the win for Alabama. But, we haven't seen many times where he has been the key reason we have pulled out a win against quality competition. Baltimore last season. Arizona two seasons ago. I'm probably forgetting some. I can think of several where he threw a game-killing pick at the end...or bad incompletion, fumble, whatever. I don't want it to be the case that he doesn't have "it" but Sunday was a chance to prove he does and he absolutely $hit the bed in that opportunity. Hoping I'm wrong.

Date: November 07, 2023 06:26AM

SIGH.
Certainly not blaming g TUA. I wasn't for drafting him but he's an elite QB. Our defense is getting some starters back and playing admirably.

That Oline dictates everything. When healthy and playing well we win. #1 offseason priority is a quality starting center. Not a good back up. A @#$%& stud who can snap the ball and get his hands up. The annoying part is we all saw it. Why didn't the Dolphins?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 07, 2023 09:46AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SIGH.
> Certainly not blaming g TUA. I wasn't for drafting
> him but he's an elite QB. Our defense is getting
> some starters back and playing admirably.
>
> That Oline dictates everything. When healthy and
> playing well we win. #1 offseason priority is a
> quality starting center. Not a good back up. A
> @#$%& stud who can snap the ball and get his hands
> up. The annoying part is we all saw it. Why didn't
> the Dolphins?

Some good points, and you remind me how my childhood consisted of watching Jim Langer, then Dwight Stevenson at center. That was the kind of play at Center I took for granted for many years.

Jim Langer's story was especially interesting to me. Kid from South Dakota State is in training camp. Line coach Monte Clark notices something special in him and tells Shula 'that's your center'. Controversially bounces a veteran Center in Bob DeMarco in favor of Langer and the rest is history.

A lot more of you remember Stephenson and he was amazing of course--his career cut too short.

Let's get the next Langer/Stephenson!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 07, 2023 09:53AM

captkoi Wrote:
> Well, I was hoping, but....
>
> Guys, this is not a Super Bowl team. They have the
> talent, but don't have the "it."
>
>

We are certainly not a Super Bowl team right now. At the midpoint of the season.

There's a cliche' saying out there which I generally think is used too often but it might actually apply to us. The team "peaking too early" or "peaking at the right time"---if we peak at the post season who knows how it could turn out.

Yes, our victories have been against lower tier teams, and the Chiefs game was winnable. But we are currently leading our division; if we can improve the O Line, and become more productive on offense (no more turnovers), we could be in a good position in the post season. Then it's one game at a time and you never know.

Are the odds heavily against that happening? Of course. But it'll be worth watching how this pans out.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: November 07, 2023 06:17PM

I didn't watch this game on Sunday, and when I found out that we lost, I didn't bother to watch it. I just saw the last few minutes of the game, and I disagree with you. Tua completely blew it (again!) on that last drive. First, the drive was completely Mostert until the last downs. Then, they took the ball out of Raheem's hands and gave it to Tua, A MISTAKE! First down, a poor pass to Mostert in the flat which was nearly intercepted. Second down, another poor pass apparently to Waddle which was far out in front of him, and was nearly intercepted. Third down, he has Cedric Wilson wide open by four steps down the left sideline and he throws it waaaay short. Fourth down, he's so busy looking to his right that he doesn't watch the snap- which wasn't great, but should have been easily caught- which was SLIGHTLY to his right hand, but he wasn't looking and dropped the damn ball. This WAS his fault! He still makes rookie mistakes! I hope that Marino can get him straightened out, but I STILL have my doubts.

Rick

Date: November 08, 2023 06:40AM

JC Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > SIGH.
> > Certainly not blaming g TUA. I wasn't for
> drafting
> > him but he's an elite QB. Our defense is
> getting
> > some starters back and playing admirably.
> >
> > That Oline dictates everything. When healthy
> and
> > playing well we win. #1 offseason priority is a
> > quality starting center. Not a good back up. A
> > @#$%& stud who can snap the ball and get his
> hands
> > up. The annoying part is we all saw it. Why
> didn't
> > the Dolphins?
>
>
> Some good points, and you remind me how my
> childhood consisted of watching Jim Langer, then
> Dwight Stevenson at center. That was the kind of
> play at Center I took for granted for many years.
>
> Jim Langer's story was especially interesting to
> me. Kid from South Dakota State is in training
> camp. Line coach Monte Clark notices something
> special in him and tells Shula 'that's your
> center'. Controversially bounces a veteran Center
> in Bob DeMarco in favor of Langer and the rest is
> history.
>
> A lot more of you remember Stephenson and he was
> amazing of course--his career cut too short.
>
> Let's get the next Langer/Stephenson!!

No doubt. Miami and Csonka will attest to that!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.