HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Chargers
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Chargers
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: September 07, 2023 09:49AM

The Chargers are favored in this game (not surprising).

I'm still not sure about this Miami team; can't get my hopes up too high (I've seen many epic failures from the Dolphins over my many years of following them). I hope they win (of course) but if they don't, here's hoping they are at least competitive. I hope McDaniel has some good plays called to both open up the passing game and also get some good running to help the offense. Will Fangio get this defense to play well? Gonna have some real issues with Herbert, as does the rest of the league.

Miami is going into this game with two of its stars....Armstead and Ramsey, not playing, unless Armstead isn't as bad off as everyone thinks. OLine has improved, but can they do the job without him? We shall see.

Let's hope Tua stays healthy the whole season.

Go Fins.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chargers
Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 08, 2023 04:39AM

Yeah I don't know what to expect either. The only outcome that would surprise me is if everything goes perfectly. grinning smiley

Date: September 08, 2023 04:57AM

I'm trying hard to be optimistic. On paper a very good defense is much improved . I'm really pulling for Fagino to lead a very talented unit.

I'm still really amazed there were no big upgrades to the Oline. Especially after TUAs injuries. I'm hoping they know something I don't.

Special Teams....I believe we finished 30th in the NFL? I remember our kicker missing 3 in a row 1 game. Horrible field position. That has to change.

Every power rankings has us as a top ten team. Some even top 5.

Hey I remember when they made fun of us in September. I'll take it, just hope for some luck and a low injury rate. smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2023 02:58PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 08, 2023 04:58AM

First game of the season is when you can usually sneak one past a superior team, as the Lions found out last night. The Chargers are not necessarily a superior team but, the Dolphins didn't look particularly ready for the regular season from what I saw in the preseason. If anything, Miami looked soft. All of the injuries in the Jaguars game was Miami players on the ground. I agree with TreasureCoast's take that McD, on the sidelines, looks too much like "one of the boys" and not enough like a coach in charge.

Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: September 08, 2023 05:11AM

3keys to the game.

1.Can tua finish the game without any lingering injury.

2. How effective is miamis dline and la dline.

Date: September 10, 2023 01:40PM

I thought this was going to be all defense. Low score. Our defense can't get a pass rush. Hopefully Fagino proves his worth.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 10, 2023 01:51PM

Except for that 1 sack on the 1 yd line......this defense has nothing. Wilkins is it. Even Ogbah is silent. Is the Chargers oline that good or has our Dline under Fagino gotten worse!?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 10, 2023 02:20PM

Here we go gentlemen. 4 minutes. We have to score a TD. This will tell us if Miami is an improved team. We can't score here we don't deserve it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 10, 2023 02:36PM

WILKINS.

All preseason.....why isn't he signed!? Best player on the team.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 10, 2023 02:46PM

OK TUA wasn't perfect, but some of his throws were Lazer accurate. Hill is not human. I'm convinced he's an ET or something. Incredible athlete.

Wilkins? They better sign him . Best defensive player since 54 and 99.

Special Teams. WTF IS THIS KICKER STILL HERE? last year when he missed 3 in one game wasn't enough? He almost caused us to lose on an extra point? WTF!!!?

CAN HIS ASS. Make an example.

McDaniels finally showed some passion on that grounding call. Congrats....his balls dropped.

In the past Miami loses this. We are different, but we have significant issues Fagino needs to work out.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: September 10, 2023 03:49PM

Not into the game at first, and soon began to roll my eyes when the snap to Tua was lost in the red zone. Grabbed a cup of coffee and watched as the game started to gain momentum. The connection between Hill and Tua aroused my interest and soon I thought this is going to be a shoot-out and that came true. Glad we won! Defense came alive at the end of the game...it was timely.

We have lots of weaknesses and only super game play from the receivers will keep us in the game. Fangio needs more magic.

Date: September 10, 2023 03:51PM

The d finished strong. Have you ever seen a team get run on for over 200 and stll win?

Today tua put up marino like numbers and that's encouraging.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 10, 2023 05:43PM

How does the old saying go? Any win on the road....

As was said, our D came through when it counted most. But they need to stop giving up big plays especially on the ground.

We also need to stop committing turnovers--leave the mistakes to the other team. And speaking of which, how about SD committing pass interference on the hail mary play at the end of the first half. That allowed us to get a field goal that did end up making a difference in the long run.

Yes Sanders missed an extra point. and that sucked. These days, that's almost like missing a mid range field goal since they moved back where it is snapped from. So he only missed one kick out of 7 for the game. Not putting a shine on a turd here, but I'm old enough to remember Uwe Von Schamann.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: September 10, 2023 05:50PM

Well I hope the analyst who pissed of Tua a week or so ago with his comment about Tua needing more time in the gym instead of getting a sleeve tatoo feels like an idiot with his asshole all puckered up.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: September 11, 2023 05:23AM

That was a great road win. The scheme is new on D and will take a little time. Fangio called some timely blitzes to end the game. After the pounding our D took, that was nice to see.

Tua outplayed Herbert all game long, but more importantly, when the game was on the line. He drove for the go ahead TD with some clutch 3rd and long conversions. Herbert grounded the ball, got sacked, dump off, got sacked to end the game. You throw that ball up for grabs on 4th down.

The Oline, especially our tackles, played great games. If Austin Jackson can turn into a serviceable RT then we have a chance. Lamm did a great job subbing for Armstead.

It's week one. Overreactions are common this time of the year but again, winning on the road is a great start.

Date: September 11, 2023 06:29AM

I will add..and we came out of this game in one piece. No injuries no tua sacks..if I remember correctly one false start.

Over 200 yards rushing allowed by the phins defense and still won the game. You have to have a really good offense to win this game.

Overall this team will go as far as tua takes them.

Go phins

Question. I saw lb long on just one play. Where was he all game?

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 11, 2023 06:31AM

I only watched the game live, so haven't revisited any of it for a 2nd time. But, it was a bit weird the way it played out and I don't yet know what to make of it on the defensive side.

I definitely didn't like seeing us get gashed by their ground game and we were lining up the same DL as last year's crew that was 6th in the league in terms of rushing yards allowed at around 100 YPG. But, I did like that - for whatever reason - the Chargers seemed not to want to rely on what I consider to be their best player in Herbert. I didn't get the sense that we really shut him or the receivers down. Not only did Herbert have decent stats for the number of times he threw, but also there were throws that ended up with DPI that are essentially completions/drive continuers. In a way, I guess I like that they led with the run game. And, I can't deny that our D tightened up signficantly at the very end, which I didn't think was going to happen having watched the first 50+ minutes of the game. I think I just need to see more to understand the approach in greater context.

On the offensive side, it was definitely fun to see how effective the passing game was. But, for me, the huge win was the pass protection especially by our OTs. I know it's a lot of things that combine to provide protection and enable an effective passing game, but OT was seemingly an actual strength even w/o our blue-chip LT.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: September 11, 2023 11:08AM

I understand that this was the first game, but....Fangio's defense did not impress me. Luckily, Miami's offense is strong and Tua was on the money most of the game. However, the offense can't keep that up...impossible to do!

My one issue with the offense is the lack of rushing attempts. Where was Brooks? He can pound the defense; wear them down, then open up with Mostert and allow Tua to hit his (more) open receivers.

I understand Fangio doesn't like to blitz very often, but our D was getting killed on the ground. Look what happened on the final couple series when he had Miami blitz. Chargers didn't stand a chance of moving the ball when all they needed was a FG to win the game. Too bad Sanders missed the extra point, but he was on the money with his FGs, which helped win the game.

Patriots are next and Miami should be able to win the game, but....the Pats are an AFC East team and we all know how that goes - anything can happen. From what I heard (and saw what Jones did yesterday), the Patriots are a strong running team, so I sure hope Fangio does something this week to at least slow down their rushing attack. I also hope McDaniel uses the running game a little more. The Pats will be sitting there waiting for Tua to throw against them.

Date: September 11, 2023 12:25PM

captkoi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand that this was the first game,
> but....Fangio's defense did not impress me.
>
>
> I understand Fangio doesn't like to blitz very
> often, but our D was getting killed on the ground.
> Look what happened on the final couple series when
> he had Miami blitz.
>
>

No doubt. This is a very good defense and this past off season we actually added to it. Remember Mel Gibson in Braveheart? It felt like that scene when the other army was marching and Gibson's character told them...." hold" (Fist up) " Hold"......."Hold"
And then........finally Fagino released the "D"!!! NOW!!!!! and boom the Chargers didn't know what hit them.

One of the better game endings but I have to be honest when That kicker missed the extra point I thought it was over rover.

Bills Fan tonight. drinking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 11, 2023 12:31PM

I take a 2 - 2 tie and we are in first place.

Safeties by each team.

Date: September 11, 2023 12:33PM

Both qbs become dysfunctional and throw 8 ints a piece.

Date: September 11, 2023 03:46PM

Lol. That didn't take long......Rodgers carted off the field......

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 13, 2023 04:25AM

Capcoi we didn't run much because tua was on fire. That was one of the reasons we won the game. We did score a rushing td.

I think we will run it much more against the pats this week.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.