Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ryan Mallett former NFL QB is one of the many who lost their lives recently at Panhandle beaches
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ryan Mallett former NFL QB is one of the many who lost their lives recently at Panhandle beaches
Posted by: JC ()
Date: June 27, 2023 06:00PM

Most of us have likely heard about the multiple rip-current related deaths taking place recently at beaches along the Florida panhandle. It has been disturbing for me to read, because I recall many rip current incidents on Miami Beach in my youth.

Unfortunately, Ryan Mallett has been announced to be one of the most recently deceased in this manner. It just goes to show that no matter how athletic one might be, rip currents can kill anyone. There is a way to survive them, but it goes against logic and instinct for a lot of people (basically-- don't swim directly towards the shore if you are being pulled away by a rip current; instead--swim parallel to the shore until the current subsides, then head in).

This isn't *directly* related to the Dolphins, but this name jumped off my computer screen when I saw the news item because I recall wanting us to draft Ryan Mallett when he was turning pro out of Arkansas. He turned out to not have a stellar NFL career (this is one of the many reasons why I'm not a draftnik). More disappointingly his life was cut short as well.
RIP Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ryan Mallett former NFL QB is one of the many who lost their lives recently at Panhandle beaches
Date: June 28, 2023 04:57AM

I just read about this . Terrible.

I wanted us to draft him in a big way.I thought he would be a low #1 or a 2nd rounder for sure. He fell to the third round. We took Mike Pouncy #1 that year.Matt Moore was our starter. When Mallet was still on the board in round 3 I was screaming at the TV .Coach Saprano picked a RB Daniel Thomas. Still a wasted pick. Mallet never did anything great but it's no excuse for not swinging for the fences and trying to improve the QB play every draft.

I remember Brady saying he wouldn't miss Mallets loud " Rap music" boom box when he left the Pats.

He was a high school coach in the pan handle. Admirable. RIP.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Re: Ryan Mallett former NFL QB is one of the many who lost their lives recently at Panhandle beaches
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: July 05, 2023 03:39AM

Good post on the safety measures JC. You never know when a chip of knowledge like that will come in handy to someone. Dangers on the beach and in nature (came across a nice size coral snake a few weeks ago) are real and all should be aware of dealing with such encounters.

I remember Mallet (at Arkansas) being one of those qbs who played as if he enjoyed the game. Like Marino and Kelly. Just liked being out there slinging it and beating you. Sniper eyes w/ a grin on his face.
Like an honorable combatant.

Was sorry to hear the news.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 07, 2023 09:06AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good post on the safety measures JC. You never
> know when a chip of knowledge like that will come
> in handy to someone. Dangers on the beach and in
> nature (came across a nice size coral snake a few
> weeks ago) are real and all should be aware of
> dealing with such encounters.
>

True, a couple years ago my sister and her boyfriend were out swimming and they did get pulled out by a rip current. Luckily they didn't panic and knew exactly what to do.

Hey about that coral snake: did you say the rhyme out loud to tell the difference between a coral and a king snake?
regarding the different colored rings on their body:

"Red next to Yellow, will kill a fellow" = coral snake, they have very poisonous venom but usually do not confront humans.

"Red next to Black is a friend of Jack" = King snake...harmless!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.