HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Mentoring
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Mentoring
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: June 14, 2009 08:08PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mentoring
Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: June 15, 2009 01:27AM

I think it is realistic to expect that. It's not a new thing at all, it's a tradition within football. The greats pass down their secrets to the next generation. And not just the dirty stuff, but legitimate physical techniques, and mental tricks, how to get inside your opponants head.

Imo it's part of the glue that holds a football team together. It provides support for the rookie, and pride for the vet, while trust and comradery is built. Otherwise, you just have a bunch of names on a roster.

When a team shifts around coaches and players too much, guys coming in and out, getting cut, or signing in FA just for the money, then you don't have this. Other than rebuilding phases, a team has to have consistency in having the same system, same coaches for more than a year, and a solid roster of vets to which you fold in rookies each season.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: June 15, 2009 02:35PM

I'm not sure I agree with this. As far back as Jerry Kramer's " Instant Replay", this subject has been touched on with unease by active players.

Rick

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: June 18, 2009 11:08AM

I think the opening comments reflect today's scenario.

The loyalty view of mentoring is live and well as long as the vet is comfortable that he is and will remain the best, or is in the twighlight and plans to hang it up soon.

Teams and players no longer live the loyalty credo, because the system does not respect it since free agency and contracts can be cancelled.

A hit for fans, and for dynasty building, but the way of the times.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.