HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Texans v. Dolphins: Game Day Thread
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Texans v. Dolphins: Game Day Thread
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 27, 2022 07:06AM

Never underestimate your opponent. Always take them seriously. We all watched Rocky to know an opponent expected to be a "light weight" may turn out to be far more than expected. That is the concern today. The Texans are floundering with a 1-8-1 record this season. They come here to win...that must be presumed. The Dolphins must not assume they will roll over. If they are smart they will play as well as they can and not let up even if the game goes their way. Play to win...play to dominate!

As usual, the defense needs to step up and make plays. As usual, the Dolphins need to make the most of each snap offensively. The game begins around 1 pm and the weather looks marvelous today. Beautiful South Florida weather in late November!

Go Dolphins!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2022 07:07AM by colonel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Texans v. Dolphins: Game Day Thread
Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: November 27, 2022 07:11AM

Agreed. They have a 3rd strig qb starting. We should win. Just play hard. Dont look passed them and we will be ok.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: November 27, 2022 09:36AM

Put Skylar in for the entire 2nd half. No sense in getting Tua hurt.

Date: November 27, 2022 09:39AM

Well...the Texans aren't ready to play well against the Dolphins. Boy, I haven't stated something like that in...years! The offensive has score 30 points in the first half and it's all about the passing game. Mostert is out and the game plan seems to really favor throwing to Waddle and Hill with a few others in the mix. Gesicki is no longer a primary target in the Dolphins offense and is seldom used. I wonder if he'll eventually be traded for a super blocking TE. Smythe did catch a TD pass--good to see--but his blocking is just okay.

The second half is a question mark. In the last seconds of the half, Tua was sacked twice. The second sack seemed to be vicious. He was bent backwards--not good. I wonder if he will play a full game with a 30 point lead. Hmmm.

Date: November 27, 2022 09:41AM

So far easy peezy but to illustrate how things could change in a split second.......look at that TUA sack with seconds left in the half. eye popping smiley He recovered quick though to spike it and get three points. a sure sign he is maturing. smileys with beer

Nice to see Howard make a nice play again. He is key to how the whole defense plays.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 27, 2022 09:44AM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well...the Texans aren't ready to play well
> against the Dolphins. Boy, I haven't stated
> something like that in...years! The offensive has
> score 30 points in the first half and it's all
> about the passing game. Mostert is out and the
> game plan seems to really favor throwing to Waddle
> and Hill with a few others in the mix. Gesicki is
> no longer a primary target in the Dolphins offense
> and is seldom used. I wonder if he'll eventually
> be traded for a super blocking TE. Smythe did
> catch a TD pass--good to see--but his blocking is
> just okay.
>
> The second half is a question mark. In the last
> seconds of the half, Tua was sacked twice. The
> second sack seemed to be vicious. He was bent
> backwards--not good. I wonder if he will play a
> full game with a 30 point lead. Hmmm.

#72 TERRON ARMSTEAD went to the locker room in the 2nd quarter. Austism Jackson came in and TUAs getting sacked. Not a coinsidence.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 27, 2022 11:12AM

The game has 2 minutes left and the team has the ball. The second half has been a bust for the Dolphins! Tua was a different player with the offensive line missing Armstead at LT. His replacement was simply a body doing little to protect Tua and as a result the offensive died in the second half.

Moreover, the weakened offensive line got to work with Thompson in place of Tua so Tua can play another day. Thompson could do little and the D lost interest in the game. In fact, I'll bet that some fans in the stadium were thinking of getting a rebate on their seats. The D was hardly in the game and the Texans were able to score 15 points.

Seeing this lack of vim an vigor is disappointing. There's still a need for the players to mature mentally. It requires 60 full minutes of play even when the score is lopsided at 30-0 at half time.

True, we won the game so that's good but we have tougher teams ahead that will require lots of constant effort for for a full game.

Date: November 27, 2022 11:16AM

This is a concern going forward. Miami is potentially one injury away from the season being over. Very little depth on the o-line, the running game which looked so promising is just ordinary and, McD's play calling is suspect with Skylar in as QB. When he should be running out the clock he calls plays that were keeping Houston alive. It's got to get better for this nasty road trip coming up.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 28, 2022 10:21AM

My hope is that this game can serve as a notification w/o penalty of these concerning things. In other words, it's perhaps good that a spotlight can be shown on these things while still winning the game.

It sounds like Armstead's injury isn't as bad as it could have been, but will likely keep him out @ SF where their D is one of our biggest tests all year.

For years, I've advocated that we need 1 elite OL player and another top 1/2 OL player among the 5. The thought was that they could make our line at least effective enough that raw young talent could be developed with playing time in a somewhat forgiving situation. This implies a couple things:
1. we can identify and acquire raw young talent that has a legit chance of being developed
2. the OL coaching is able to develop raw young talent

It's not a good sign that our OL play was immediately stabilized and even becoming a strength when Eichenberg followed Jackson out of the lineup.

Date: November 29, 2022 09:46AM

After watching Tua with a decent line working with him so passes could be made and completed in the first half, the loss of Armstead was like throwing ball bearing into a gear set that altered the smooth running of the machine.

Subs aren't able to perform anywhere the level they should which provides the obvious that one minor injury plays havoc with offensive production. So...the big test for the OC is to understand the limitations of the line as it exists without Armstead. What type of plays may work with a weakened front line? That has to be a major concern. How to be productive to move the chains? Does the team run more? Does it use quick short passes to a slot receiver or TE? The game plan has to be different. If Tua doesn't play, and I hope that isn't going to happen, then bringing in either sub at QB will be another aspect to consider on what plays that QB might be able to pull off with a weakened line. All of this is on the table IMO and its coaching and players needing to step up a notch to make things go well against the 49ers.

The 49ers game is our biggest test. One game at a time.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 29, 2022 10:56AM

colonel Wrote:
> After watching Tua with a decent line working with
> him so passes could be made and completed in the
> first half, the loss of Armstead was like throwing
> ball bearing into a gear set that altered the
> smooth running of the machine.
>
> Subs aren't able to perform anywhere the level
> they should which provides the obvious that one
> minor injury plays havoc with offensive
> production. So...the big test for the OC is to
> understand the limitations of the line as it
> exists without Armstead. What type of plays may
> work with a weakened front line? That has to be a
> major concern. How to be productive to move the
> chains? Does the team run more? Does it use quick
> short passes to a slot receiver or TE? The game
> plan has to be different. If Tua doesn't play, and
> I hope that isn't going to happen, then bringing
> in either sub at QB will be another aspect to
> consider on what plays that QB might be able to
> pull off with a weakened line. All of this is on
> the table IMO and its coaching and players needing
> to step up a notch to make things go well against
> the 49ers.
>
> The 49ers game is our biggest test. One game at a
> time.

I hear ya Colonel.

I would suggest a moving pocket for Tua, although that may not even work as we are weak at both tackle spots. With Armstead out, that left side is extremely weak, so the moving pocket would have to be to the right, but....Tua is left handed.

Tua releasing the ball quicker....not sure that will work, either. His quick release didn't help him in the second half last week as he got sacked four times? Never had a chance.

The running game will be limited. With the 49er D bottling up Tua, the LBers will have free reign to clog the gaps which will end the running game.

Our D may be key for this game. They played well vs the Texans, but again, that was the Texans. Against stiffer competition, the D had its issues. Still don't have the Jones "brothers" in the defensive backfield, so how much pressure the D can generate will be questionable.

Now, saying all that, it doesn't mean Miami can't win this game. If they can play solid on both sides of the ball, they have a good chance, but if they continue to make stupid mistakes, it just may be a long day.

Date: November 29, 2022 02:07PM

Line up 2 tends on the left to help block. They need to improvise and make plays where tua gets rid of the ball quickly. I think tua its been getting rid of the ball quicly as it is. To adjust this offense without armstead is easier said than done.

Be creative on offense.

It will all depend if we can run the ball well against san francisco.

Cleveland couldnt get to tua because the running game was effective.

Just make it competitive untill the end so at least is a watchable game. Because there is always a chance if its close at the end.

Phins 31 san fran 30

It will be a close game imo.

Go phins

Date: November 29, 2022 02:10PM

Btw any team is one injury away from the season to be over.

Kansas city or thr bills loses maholmes or allen and their season is over as well. My 2 cents.

Date: November 30, 2022 08:36AM

Rgphin Wrote:
> Btw any team is one injury away from the season to
> be over.
>
> Kansas city or thr bills loses maholmes or allen
> and their season is over as well. My 2 cents.

Yes, franchise QBs are a different discussion though. We are talking 1 person on the Oline chasing it to implode after 1 player leaves. We need better depth.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 30, 2022 08:54AM

Agreed

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 01, 2022 11:54AM

Just thinking.

Miami will have to utilize its running backs to catch passes and also the TEs down the middle. Hill and Waddle can take the top off, and if the 49ers blow coverage, Tua can let it fly, otherwise, with our two guys racing down the sidelines, that should open up the middle of the field.

Tua is going to have to do some quick reads before Bosa gets there. As I said in a previous post, the OL worries me. I have read where Armstead "may" play. If so, here's hoping he is healthy enough to play well, because if he is still hurting and plays, he could cause some damage to Tua.

Also, let's hope DirecTV and Fox get their act together and sign a new agreement so the NFL will be shown on Fox. Miami is on TV at 4:05.

Date: December 01, 2022 12:44PM

captkoi said;
Also, let's hope DirecTV and Fox get their act together and sign a new agreement so the NFL will be shown on Fox. Miami is on TV at 4:05.

There's been some speculation that Amazon will fork over the Billion or so that it will take to buy the Sunday Ticket package. Paying for Thursday Night Football was a ploy to get their foot in the door.

I subscribed to the Game Pass directly from the NFL Network. They have a special price for Ex-pats to the tune of 100. dollars for the year includes the play-offs and the SB. I have no idea what their package costs stateside. I feed the signal by WIFI to a 65" HD and the picture is crystal clear.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.