Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Today is more than just a Game Day for the Phins....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Today is more than just a Game Day for the Phins....
Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 23, 2022 08:13AM

I just read that the 50th anniversary of the Dolphins perfect season is being recognized at halftime of tonight's game.

There're probably only a handful of posters to this board who were alive back then and remember the 1972 season. Colonel perhaps recalls this special time.

Well kiddies, Grandpa JC remembers how his dad had Season Tickets in the early to mid 70s and how as just a young'un, old man JC was a very impressionable kid in those scorching hot bleacher seats at the old Orange Bowl. Witnessing firsthand those magical seasons from 1971 onward made me a lifetime Dolphins fan.

Whenever we have a bad season (that has happened a lot since 1972) I have heard 'fans' say they are giving up on this team. Over the years there have been quite a few posts on this board (although none lately....you guys are diehards!!) declaring "I am done with this team." I personally have never considered abandoning the phins, and I hope we win a championship soon, because that would cause a lot of fans who are currently young and impressionable to become lifetime devotees...here's hoping. Go Phins!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Today is more than just a Game Day for the Phins....
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 23, 2022 09:45AM

I'm one of those old die-hard fans that watched that SB game on TV. I still remember cringing at Garo Yepremian's botched field goal attempt. The Sun Sentinel has some good write-ups on that team. Feeling old when I read that 17 of the players and all of the coaches are no longer with us. Looking forward to the ceremony and hoping that today's team honors the Perfect Team with a good showing against Pittsburg. Fins up.

Date: October 23, 2022 11:30AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm one of those old die-hard fans that watched
> that SB game on TV. I still remember cringing at
> Garo Yepremian's botched field goal attempt. The
> Sun Sentinel has some good write-ups on that team.
> Feeling old when I read that 17 of the players and
> all of the coaches are no longer with us. Looking
> forward to the ceremony and hoping that today's
> team honors the Perfect Team with a good showing
> against Pittsburg. Fins up.

Oh yeah that was not Garo's best moment. But at least our Defense completely shut down Billy Kilmer. Defense came up huge in that game. yes it is said that so many of those guys are no longer with us.

Go phins, win one tonight for the 72 team.

Date: October 23, 2022 12:06PM

In 1972 I was 6 yrs old and about to discover the Phins BEACUASE of the perfect season. I was shopping for a winter coat in Korvettes back in Staten Island NYC. My mothers new stragedy was to let me pick the coat so I would stop leaving it behind everywhere.

I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the Miami Dolphin Teal with matching hat and mittins.Ironically I also Dug the Steelers Black n Gold. I even had some steelers shirts growing up.

My dad was still stinging from the Brooklyn Dodgers leaving for L.A. So he didnt have a team. He was still pissed at PRO sports once he found out the hard way this was a buisness and the fans didnt really matter.He became a huge Dolphins fan later on when he saw how much I dug them.

I was a fan throughout the 70s but only got to see them on TV twice a season. Maybe 3 times if they were on MNF.

Then in 83' things changed . #13 came along and I was hooked. Ive had more fights with Jets fans I care to remember.

I despise the Jets. I dont hate the Steelers. I will root for them when the outcome doesnt effect the Dolphins. Tonight i want to stick a win so far up Flores ass that he calls TUAs shoe racist.

KEY: OLINE (as usual)

And Howard and CBs need to make plays.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2022 12:11PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 23, 2022 01:44PM

I remember that season well. Griese going down and Morrall stepping in to save the season. It was such a great, oiled machine. The SB was just the cherry on top of the cake. The Dolphins were the best, period. That time has long passed along with Shula and so many Dolphins greats. I am glad they can gather and talk about those glory days. When one gets older these memories are sacred. Thank you team for that great ride.

Date: October 23, 2022 05:59PM

I have enjoyed the quick shots of the sky box...really quick...but I have noticed Howard Twilley, Al Jenkins, Larry Seiple, Larry Ball.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 23, 2022 06:51PM

Was telling my son today before the game that if Kuch were in the HoF as he should be, our starting offense had more hall of famers than not in those days.

I wasn't quite alive, having been born in 74...the year of our last SB win after the '73 season. Perhaps I'm the jinx...man, I hope not!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.