HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins v. Jets: Game Day Thread
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 09, 2022 07:31AM

Howard is out so the secondary is not what it should be. Bridgewater has had reps and plenty of time to study for this game. As always I am hopeful the team on the field has enough to win this game. Run the ball and then throw it. Gesicki has to be more involved in moving the ball. I don't buy the coach's "he's doing what we want him to do" comments. He's a playmaker and needs to be in the forefront--a threat--needs to be covered and that leads to mismatches. However, using him as a ruse, opens up other receivers. Let's see how this offensive game develops.

Go Dolphins!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 09, 2022 08:42AM

Bridgewater knocked out of the game on the first play....Thompson in at QB. Too many injured will make this a very long afternoon. Already too many penalties.

Re: Dolphins v. Jets: Game Day Thread
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 09, 2022 09:07AM

Those who wanted to see Thompson play get their wish.

Date: October 09, 2022 09:30AM

Thompson TD pass to Mostert!

Date: October 09, 2022 09:33AM

No--he stepped out at the 1. Seconds left in the half. Smythe 1 yard TD run for a TD. Now it's right.

Date: October 09, 2022 09:38AM

Wow, terrible half and we're still in it. I think we'll win unless Skylar gets sacked and his head touches the ground.

Date: October 09, 2022 09:44AM

Our secondary is not doing very well. We have offensive weapons, on the ground and receiving and that may overcome the weak secondary play. Thompson is doing okay. The intercept was caused by a lineman getting a finger on the ball and sending it into wobble. Thompson is not syncing with his receivers so far...if he does better in the 2nd half we should be able to out score the Jets. I am optimistic right now.

Date: October 09, 2022 10:22AM

Defense is doing their part.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 09, 2022 10:55AM

Basically starting 3rd string QB without the week of anticipating he'll start...top 2 CB out...elite LT out. The 3rd string coming off the bench part largely negates our huge advantage at wideout. With that much of our best talent out or largely neutralized, we'd have to play our best ball to beat any NFL team.

Have obviously crumbled here at the end, but I've actually been fairly impressed by what McDaniels has been able to coax out of the offense given its limitations. Kudos to the run blocking and Mostert (and even Gaskins has had a couple good runs).

On defense I'm reminded of a couple of things:
1. how much our D is predicated on being able to pressure based upon having 2 CB who can play effectively on an island
2. how poorly they tackle for some reason that certainly eludes me (like a running back juking any of our defenders)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2022 10:58AM by tsstamper.

Date: October 09, 2022 11:01AM

The game is lost. No passing game. Secondary can't cover nor tackle. Back to the drawing board with QBs. Offensive weapons don't mean much when there are no healthy QBs or an experienced QB to run the offensive. sad smiley

Date: October 09, 2022 04:19PM

It's several hours since the end of the game and the loss was not unexpected given the QB situation and the many injuries that weakened the team.

Yearly disappointment is once again setting in for me because the team is once again the subject of ridicule. From selecting Tua as the QB answer knowing his injury prone background...then jumping ahead as to whether the concussion protocol on his apparent head injury on Sunday was not followed or misapplied that set the table for a follow-up injury that would jeopardize his overall health and put the team in desperation mode with Bridgewater. Then add Bridgewater's apparent head injury today and being pulled from the game after the first offensive play of the game leaving only Thompson to lead the team who had no regular season game experience.

Since I am just a fan, this situation must really be another low blow to the players, coaches and ownership. Their plight has to be a 10 on a scale of 10.

I have to ask, when will the Dolphins finally step out of the quagmire and get on firm ground where they can strive and succeed for an entire season?

Date: October 10, 2022 10:26AM

I'm trying to figure out how much of what we're seeing is:
- injuries
- bad luck type stuff
- gotta get our $hit together irrespective of the top 2 items
- talent

To be honest, I listed them in the order of impact I think they are as I'm thinking of them in this moment. Given what we saw was possible in the first 3 games (albeit, I would say we never played our best full game in any of them), I think we have the talent to hang with any team in the league.

I think any team would be challenged to win without its top 2 QB, top 2 CB (especially the way our D is calibrated) and pro bowl LT. As I noted elsewhere, the QB issue largely negates the tremendous advantage we have at WR, irrespective of their health.

In terms of bad luck stuff, I don't have a better term for the junk we're going through. Of course we'd be the first team to have a QB yanked as a part of concussion protocol due to it after the recent round of Tua-related stuff...and of course he didn't really even have a concussion. I don't blame the league for extra scrutiny given our franchise has done some pretty shady things over the years. Skylar didn't look bad, given the context...but very much like a guy who, in the past 10 days, went from 3rd string 7th round rookie QB to only viable option. And, of course Byron Jones would have waited for surgery until he did...only to recover at a slower-than-anticipated-and-still-ongoing pace. Probably through bad decision making we've created a lot of our own bad luck.

Getting our $hit together is probably the most immediately-addressable item. I largely gave us a pass in my mind on the Thursday CIN game given it was 4 days after the epic heat battle with BUF. We were gassed on D and I knew there would be penalties and sloppy play. But, it's got to stop. We gotta start wrapping up tackles...and stop using opponents' facemasks to do it. 11 penalties?! Really, against the Jets? Please feel free to drop 1st down catches in critical moments (note: they all have the potential to be critical moments). If we keep making stupid mistakes, we'll erode any competitive advantage we have even if we are full-strength health-wise. No excuse.

Date: October 10, 2022 11:15AM

Tsstamper......Very good break down.

The bad luck stuff......seems Our QBs get pounded into concussion protocol with no flags.......and our defensive players breath wrong and we get 15 yds.

Injuries are the biggest problem IMO. The biggest is to Howard. We give him everything he wanted but hes always getting hurt. This guy is valuable , we are a different team when he plays.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 10, 2022 01:08PM

Our entire defensive approach is basically predicated on having 2 CB who can effectively live on an island. They're both good at it, but X is leaps and bounds better than Jones. Jones does his job well. X changes games.

When they're doing their thing, Holland can roam more freely on the back end...Brandon Jones can blitz and run support more often...edge guys have that extra 1/2 second to get to the QB, etc.

Date: October 10, 2022 02:43PM

YES. This is exactly how JJ built our defense in the late 90s.
Surtain and Madison stuck to recievers like glue and left #54 #99 free to attack sideline to sideline.

Our Defensive front is brutal. How many 1st and goals did we turn into Field goal attempts? When Howard holds them down our defense is brutal. But when hes down they throw freely. Every team sees it and it explains yesterdays 4th quarter.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.