This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel.
PFF just published a report that ranks teams by cap health.
Particularly interesting, I thought, was the incorporation of the combined valuation of the top 51 players on each team. I'm assuming it's using the overthecap player valuation that can be seen in each player's individual otc page. I think that relies heavily on the player's PFF rating as a component of the overall valuation. We rank #3 in this category, meaning - from top to bottom - they feel we have the 3rd-best roster in the league. That was, quite frankly, a surprise to me.
To balance that a bit, per the analysis, we have the 5th worst projected loss of value via 2023 free agency. When I look at the names on the list, though, it's not fear-inspiring.
Some more noteworthy overall observations:
- 9 of the top 11 best cap health situations belong to AFC teams
- further underscores the value of having an elite QB. There are teams like us in the top 10 of 1-51 roster valuation, but aren't really considered contenders (Washington, New Orleans, Philly, Cleveland esp. if Watson misses significant time). Others in the top 10 include TB, Rams, Chiefs, Bills, Chargers.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2022 08:44AM by tsstamper.
Good point. I'm probably just a bit slow in recognizing the addition of and/or rising to higher-rated PFF talent over the past 12 mo.
Going into the 2021 season, we probably only had X as anywhere near elite rating.
Now we have:
- X as an established dominant CB
- Wilkins, Sieler and Ogbah all highly rated on the DL last year
- Holland PFF rated in the 80s in his rookie year
- our 2 new OL FA both relatively highly rated
- Tyreek and Waddle
It all ultimately needs to translate to wins, but I'm probably just so used to a relative talent deficit across the roster.
Free agency this off season has been off the chain. At first I was really surorised becuase last Jan. Was a horrible month for the Dolphins. After a great end of the season winning streak we fired Flores and things looked as bad as Ive seen it as a Phins fan.
Then we hired a new coach and instantly thus rooster took off. And players wanted to come here again. I think that speaks Volumes about Flores. NOT ONE player complai ed he was fired......and free agency exploded when he was gone.