Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins sign a Tackle in Free agency.......
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Dolphins sign a Tackle in Free agency.......
Date: March 13, 2022 10:20AM

Could Miami finally get some stability on the Oline?

"ESPN predicts Terron Armstead signing a 4 year, $92 million ($63M guaranteed) deal with the Miami Dolphins in free agency "

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dolphins sign a Tackle in Free agency.......
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 14, 2022 06:30AM

Im just not enamored with bringing in Armstead (knee injury) or Collins at a high when we can get Moses. Moses is one of the better RTs in the league. He has had success w/ 2 different teams and plays in the AFC east. I think selecting players from the same conference works out better playing for 2 different teams shows he can acclimate to different environments. These guys have watched more film on the phins and have more familiarity on what we do.

23 mil a year when we can get Moses for half of that uhhh. Keep developing Eichenberg and Jackson on the left side. Get a R/T in free agency to protect Tua's blind side.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 14, 2022 09:48AM

I'm not wild about getting any tackle at that exorbitant price tag, and I wonder why the Jets, who don't have the best offense, would let a solid RT leave in free agency? They don't grow on trees, ya know?

Rick

Date: March 14, 2022 11:09AM

Jets have George Fant also at RT so he makes Moses expendable although he is well liked in NY (both actually are liked by the org). The rumor is the Ravens want Moses. Jets just signed Tomlinson to play next to Becton, sheesh.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 15, 2022 01:25PM

So we signed Connor Williams for 2 yrs $14M - a move that seems like a good one with him seemingly improving PFF performance rating (sorry, don't know how better to assess OL with my untrained eye unless they're elite).

Bucs trade a 5th for Shaq Mason with 2 yrs remaining at $15.8M (and 100% of that cap savings if cut/traded). His PFF is upper 80s elite. He is older, but certainly more proven.

They may never have traded him to a division rival...and he may only have wanted to play with Brady or whatever. But, seems like good when better may have been an option.

Date: March 15, 2022 01:53PM

I hear you on the untrained eye. One of the reasons I enjoyed this Superbowl was watching the Oline and Dline on both teams at such an elite level.The Rams really impressed me. The Olinemen are lightening fast from the ready/set position to up and blocking. They didn't get pushed back towards the pocket and pushed defenders sideways.

After watching our team for 17 games , the pockets just collapsing immediately, it's obvious we need serious help.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 15, 2022 02:54PM

Saw a stat, Williams was like #1 in the league on penalties

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2022 06:14AM by jlyell13.

Date: March 15, 2022 06:37PM

The other 4 were Jackson, Eichenberg, Davis & Dieter grinning smiley

Sorry - uncalled for...just having fun.

I read that last year's penalty # was higher than his previous 3 yrs combined.

Date: March 15, 2022 06:48PM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The other 4 were Jackson, Eichenberg, Davis &
> Dieter grinning smiley
>
> Sorry - uncalled for...just having fun.
>
> I read that last year's penalty # was higher than
> his previous 3 yrs combined.

Uncalled for!? Hardly brother......winking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 16, 2022 03:19PM

Sounds like he has the same problem as the rest of our o-line - he needs coaching up really badly.

Rick

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 17, 2022 05:43AM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The other 4 were Jackson, Eichenberg, Davis &
> Dieter grinning smiley
>
> Sorry - uncalled for...just having fun.

Jackson actually third I think

Date: March 17, 2022 05:47AM

I do think OL coach is more important than any single OL player's talent. Though I've been very disappointed in every player but Hunt last year, it's hard for me to imagine that Jackson & Eichenberg (and even the demoted Kindley) are as bad as what they showed on the field last year. There will always be swings & misses with high draft picks, but just hard for me to believe it was 3 relatively big swings in a row that were whiffs.

The decision to let Karras walk after his 1-yr contract and to pay to release Flowers, in my mind, underscores how bad our OL coaching was. If their assessment was that our line would be good enough without those guys (who were, to my recollection, probably the best 2 linemen on a pretty bad line in 2020), then I don't think they knew how to develop and maximize young talent. It's not like those guys were anything special, but Karras signed a $3M contract to return to the Pats and we probably saved $2M in the Flowers trade, so not much of a financial savings for releasing all that experience and contribution.

We went thru 3 OC's and 4 OL coaches in Flores' 3 yrs, so it seems super obvious that the last of the 4 on the merry-go-round probably wasn't anywhere near the cream of the crop.

Date: March 20, 2022 04:31PM

Terron Armstead is visiting Tomorrow morning!

This wont be cheap, but it will fill our greatest need .smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Cancelled
Date: March 20, 2022 07:04PM

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2022 07:09PM by dolphan4545.

Date: March 20, 2022 07:07PM

It seems to me that a lot of you guys as well as the media are taking a hell of a lot for granted. This guy missed 9 games last year with an elbow injury and he had knee surgery. Aren't you guys sick and tired of bringing in injured players? I know that I am.
I still believe that the linemen we have drafted high in the draft can't all be busts, they had too much talent coming out of college. I think decent offensive line coaches (such as the new coaching staff) can and will bring out the best in the guys that we have now. After the Will Fuller debacle (who was at least supposed to be relatively healthy) last year, I'm very leery of free agency. (poor choice of words- it's a long way from free!)

Rick

Date: March 21, 2022 05:58AM

We still have the entire Oline and I agree they should benefit from some better coaching. Adding the #4 overall best free agent on the market couldn't hurt it. I'm sure he's having a full physical today as well as a workout. There is no such thing as a veteran without injuries. Believe it or not in a Olineman knee injuries are usually 100% after a good rehab.A good knee brace and they are good to go. The worst injury an Oline could have is his shoulders and chest tears. The elbows are also good to go with a brace. This would be a great pick up if kept at a reasonable price. Huge veteran presence in the lockeroom. Our Oline would be instantly improved .

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 21, 2022 06:07AM

I find myself agreeing with what you said and recognizing that he's elite talent/proven on-field performance with, seemingly, a spotless character record also.

I'd like to think that some of these things come into play:
- NO let him go more because of their salary cap hell vs. not wanting him due to injury/availability risk
- he has lasted this long on the market because there's a league-wide hesitancy to give elite, injury & character risk-free money to him due to his history of injury (i.e. the price may not be as high)
- an agreeable contract can be constructed that shields us somewhat from injury risk (I've been critical of Grier for some of his draft picks and for signing FAs and then letting them go quickly - though i think a lot of that is driven by the coach and Grier fulfilling their wishes...but he's been good at configuring contracts to minimize long-term impacts)

Date: March 22, 2022 05:23PM

I still believe what I said, but TCFP, you are right- we need all the help on the o-line that we can get.

Rick

Date: March 22, 2022 05:57PM

Our OL has been so lost for so long. Besides a brief 1/2 season or so with Albert, Tunsil, Pouncey, Bushrod & James, we've really been a mess for a good 10 yrs, I'd say.

I, of course, want Armstead's contribution on the field as much of his contract as possible. But, I think his experience and character (not that I know him personally) will help lead our OL. My guess is everyone individually gets better because of his presence and Connor Williams who himself came from a historically high-performing line. They know what it looks like and can set standards and help develop others to get (and stay) there.

Hopefully he can be on the field a ton for us.

Date: March 23, 2022 04:41AM

I agree , it's been a long time coming for a decent Oline. We have always had one or the other, decent O line, or D line. Watching this last superbowl both teams were outstanding in the trenches.

17 million a year!! This guys a probowler and one of the top free agent signings ....but that dented the wallet.

#29 overall this guy should be available..... Daniel Faalele. 6-9 387 pounds!! Fellow pacific Islander . Add him to the free agents and we should be considerably improved. Add to that a couple of Free agent Fullbacks and blocking TE Smythe. I like it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 24, 2022 09:44AM

With the trade for T. Hill, Miami lost its 2022 first round draft pick, but think about it....the draft pick was in the high 20s. Hill is worth more than that pick.

I am a little confused....I heard Miami gave up one of its two number 1 draft picks for 2023. I also heard no mention of that move. Anyone here know for sure?

Date: March 24, 2022 10:46AM

He cost us a 1st, 2nd and 4th (we have 2) this year and a 4th and 6th in 2023.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.