HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Good news.....This is HUGE:
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Good news.....This is HUGE:
Date: January 27, 2022 04:10PM

Report: The Miami Dolphins want to keep defensive coaching staff:

What’s interesting though is it’s been reported that the Dolphins are also telling candidates that many of the defensive coaches are part of the deal

Continuity is very important in football. Miami has the chance to maintain some of that on the defensive side of the ball which in my mind makes sense.

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Keep the defense intact.....fix the offense. We will instantly compete!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good news.....This is HUGE:
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 27, 2022 05:35PM

Connecting the dots means the Dolphins are (will be) hiring an offensive minded HC. cool smiley

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 28, 2022 02:17AM

With every caveat that the front office imposes the smaller the field of potential HC candidates will be. A top shelf, well established HC candidate would demand total control of personnel and coaching staff.
So far the front office is dictating who the QB will be and who many of the coaches will be. Don't be surprised when they announce the name of the new coach your first reaction will be,, "WHO?" Why him?

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 28, 2022 03:25AM

Not reacting too much from reports from these two bit wanna be journalist. I kind of agree with Tua is our qb we are not going to draft one high or go after a guy like Rodgers. But I think an in coming coach should pick his coaches. If the new HC wants a guy like Don Martindale the front office should allow it.

More on the QB, I do not like when coaches have to have 'their qb'. We don't have time to find 'their qb'. Tua was damn good enough to win a national championship at AL. He can win if a coach develops his offense around his strengths. Shula won with different types of players because he developed his offense around his players. He was not a snake oil selling systems peddling coach like a lot of these guy are today. They squander time trying to collect players to fit 'their system'.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 28, 2022 03:28AM

Huge news? Continuity? Then they wouldn't have fired Flores and instead, fired Grier.

This is just the ineptitude we've come to expect. Let's hamstring our search forcing coaches on the new HC. That will narrow the field down to a guy that is desperate for the job and someone Grier can control.

Welcome back, Vance Joseph.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 28, 2022 10:19AM

I do agree that every caveat narrows the list. However - and this may be applying a broader workplace standard to this specific situation (which may not be a good way of looking at things) - I also think that seeing things that currently work well and communicating "if it aint broke, don't fix it" isn't bad in and of itself.

For the defense, I think that's a reasonable perspective. Assuming the D staff wants to stay and work with whomever is HC (acknowledging with some recency bias: that's clearly not always the case), I think it's a good idea to communicate to HC candidates who may not have the wherewithal to assemble a defensive staff that delivers the same or better results. Frankly, if I'm Daboll, for instance, I'm probably pretty in favor of keeping as much of that intact as possible given the talent & results over the past couple of seasons. Continuous improvement efforts should be a baseline expectation for any staff irrespective of how they were assembled or how they've performed to date...but it could be a very good thing to hear, especially for a 1st-time coach who hasn't assembled a staff on the opposite side of the ball from their expertise. If they're truly a 'top shelf' candidate, then I suppose they've earned the right to demand such things. I'm not sure any of the known candidates are proven truly top shelf (in my mind, think Andy Reid coming from PHI to KC).

For Tua specifically, I don't think the same standard has been met as with the defense. That said, I'd want a clear understanding of how/why the realistic alternative(s) is/are clearly better. If, to continue using Daboll as the example, he demands that he needs Watson, Wilson or Rodgers even if it costs 3 1st-rounders, I'm listening but keeping in mind that we just put 3 players on the 2021 all-rookie team - all clearly deservingly so and at premium positions. A million factors in considering.

But the point is if both D coaches and Tua are being listed as caveats, I see them differently within that context.

Date: January 28, 2022 11:23AM

Lol. First off I agree this narrows it down.....but in a good way. Our defense is stellar. You don't need to rip it apart. We are half way there.
smileys with beer
And I agree it's more then likely an offensive minded coach. And his name starts with a "H" and ends with and "h".

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 28, 2022 12:55PM

The Defense IS NOT stellar. Beating up on bottom feeder teams with back-up or rookie QBs will rarely get you to the play-offs. Beating up on Baltimore certainly was satisfying but, the only play-off team that we beat was New England and that was because of the rookie QB getting rattled. Until we can start having success against Barffalo we will always be playing for a wildcard and, our D had nothing that worked on Josh Allen. The defense has a good start but, is far from being a finished product.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 28, 2022 02:46PM

Brian Daboll hired by the Giants as new HC.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 28, 2022 05:52PM

I agree it's not the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens - not even close. And I most certainly agree that we've not had an answer for the Bills offense in recent years. So, what I wrote wasn't to imply that it's an elite finished product.

That said, I think the key to consistently competing with Josh Allen & the Bills is a full-team effort with more onus on our offense for improving than our defense. When I look at the Bills' scores throughout the season, it seemed that their offense was either really on or really off, and just from recollection it was more them being on/off themselves vs. a strong defense taking it to them. Our defense was rated higher than any of the 4 teams to hold BUF to fewer than 20 points this season (PIT, JAX, DET, IND). Sadly for our offense, I think being able to consistently compete with them will look a lot more often like competing in 34-31 or 33-27 games like Tennessee & Tampa Bay this year.

Date: January 28, 2022 06:19PM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brian Daboll hired by the Giants as new HC.

Yep. Now watch......Harbaugh is our coach. Has been all along.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 29, 2022 01:53PM

profootballtalk.nbcsports is reporting that Harbaugh is interviewing with the Vikings.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 29, 2022 02:21PM

The quote I read said that they have discussed keeping the defensive staff with candidates. Nothing in that means they have told them that they HAVE to keep them. It was also said that TUA is the QB but that it will depend on what the new coach wants. nothing in that means that they HAVE to keep him.

People need to stop overreacting and actually read the statements made.

I've been saying for almost two weeks now that McDaniel was our #1. Harbaugh was our #2, Daboll was our #3, and Moore was our #4. starting to look more and more like I guessed right and with Harbaugh reportedly interviewing with the Vikings this coming week. We will have to see what Ross does with that.

Date: January 29, 2022 04:15PM

Ken, if you've been saying that for two weeks now then you must have been saying it on another forum. Other than your post 12 days ago about Harbaugh you haven't posted here for months.
My understanding about McDaniel is that he doesn't even call the offensive plays, Shanahan does. Is it possible that we could be setting ourselves up for another Joe Philbin type situation, good football mind but, poor leader?

Date: January 30, 2022 03:36AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken, if you've been saying that for two weeks now
> then you must have been saying it on another
> forum. Other than your post 12 days ago about
> Harbaugh you haven't posted here for months.
> My understanding about McDaniel is that he doesn't
> even call the offensive plays, Shanahan does. Is
> it possible that we could be setting ourselves up
> for another Joe Philbin type situation, good
> football mind but, poor leader?

That's a good point. Many times we seem to pick a golden boy from a TEAM that's doing well. But placed in charge it's a whole different person.

I consider myself a good officer. I've gotten my share of Officer of the quarter awards and so on. But that doesn't mean I could handle being the chief. Takes a certain kind of person to be able to handle all those different entities. Good assistant coaches does not make a great head coach. Ross should be a better judge of character by now but I guess he's just not.

Harbaugh is a successful head college coach. He's been successful in the NFL.
It's a no Brainer IMO.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 31, 2022 04:58AM

Buzz is stirring in the twittersphere that Harbaugh is the guy and he's going to get Fangio for the D and Pep Hamilton to coach the O.

He would be the only one that makes sense after firing Flores.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 31, 2022 08:41AM

Would Harbaugh want to work for Ross? I doubt it, given the history of this team since Ross has owned it. He's already interviewing for the Vikings. Who does that leave Miami with in a thinning pool of candidates? I'm guessing Mike McDaniel, the OC for the 49ers. He's coming in for a 2nd interview already. I seriously doubt that Harbaugh would come here unless he was given way more control. In fact, I'm already thinking more of the same - A new HC without any experience at being a HC. Three years and he'll probably be gone too. In all honesty, I think the only thing attractive about being a HC for Miami is not having to pay state income taxes.

Date: January 31, 2022 09:32AM

Harbaugh has already publicly stated he wanted the Miami job. This was a fine deal before Flores was fired. I'm sure of it. Doesn't mean I can't be wrong .....but I'd bet Ross's reputation on it. grinning smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 02, 2022 09:52AM

It sounds like a done deal that Harbaugh will be taking the Vikings job. Makes sense considering he'll be in a weak division playing such powerhouses as Detroit, Chicago and, a Packers team possibly without Rodgers. He'll be going to the play-offs every year.

Date: February 02, 2022 11:39AM

I'm still pretty sure it's all smokescreen because he's coming to Miami........

But after Flores big steaming pile of shit he just left on the stadium entrance.....I'm not sure about anything.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 02, 2022 03:04PM

Now Harbaugh is planning on staying at Michigan and not taking the Vikings job. It looks like TreasureCoast might be right and that Harbaugh was destined for Miami all along and that Minnesota was a smokescreen. Anyhow, whether intentionally or not Flores threw a wrench into Ross's master plan now we'll be lucky to get Vance Joseph as a Head Coach.

Date: February 02, 2022 03:48PM

SIGH.
Can't disagree with anything above. Harbaugh just realized I have a good gig Im not going to step into this shit show.

Flores planned on getting hired right away elsewhere like GASE did. It didn't happen and he just threw a grenade into Ross's lap . Whether it's True or not doesn't matter right now . No decent head coach hire is coming here now .

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.