Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Chris Simms craps on Tua after he beats the Giants ..........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Chris Simms craps on Tua after he beats the Giants ..........
Date: December 10, 2021 04:26AM

"This where I’m going to sound like a Tua hater,” Simms said. “Listen, the whole world can throw the ball five yards over the middle. You don’t need to draft a quarterback at number five in the draft to throw the ball five or six yards over the middle, or like Logan Ryan said, run to the left and throw the ball one yard into the flat.”

I so don't agree with this. What sour grapes and so unprofessional IMO. YOURANFL commentator not a Giants spokesperson.

My only knock on TUA is his injury history. He's winning games and making super accurate throws.(recievers dropped a ton of great throws)He's controlling the clock and doing exactly what's asked. And he thrown some really nice deep passes as well.

Why is it when Brady throws screens He's the GOAT?

Simms is a biased disgrace to the media industry.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chris Simms craps on Tua after he beats the Giants ..........
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 10, 2021 05:36AM

Based upon his draft eval of Tua, I definitely think Simms has reason to see his performance as whatever is opposite of rose-colored glasses. Frankly, that's been one reason I've paid some attention to what he's said along the way - always good for me to hear detractors to see if what they say has merit.

In this case, I do not think that "the whole world can throw the ball five yards over the middle" is equivalent to what Tua's doing. As you note, the way he's throwing these short passes is the primary differentiator. He's throwing into tight windows and/or placing the ball in a spot where the receiver often has opportunity to get good YAC. He's moving defenders with his eyes or body posture. Not to mention, he's hitting some long passes in recent weeks, as you note.

I've always wondered if Tua's strengths were so good that they more than make up for his weaknesses. I.e. his limited arm strength means his deep outs are going to be more difficult for him...but his accuracy, timing, placement, etc. mean that he can more than make a living with the shorter over the middle passes. For me, when a QB has a particular unique strength that's so much higher than the "norm", it can enable him to leverage it to the point of being elite or at least consistently top 1/2 depending on the particular mix of strengths and their distance from mean - in spite of real limitations. I still think it's TBD, but Tua has shown a lot this year to indicate that he might have enough of that uniqueness to make up for his deficiencies.

Date: December 10, 2021 06:06AM

"

I've always wondered if Tua's strengths were so good that they more than make up for his weaknesses."

Hmmmmmmmm. drinking smiley. That's a really good thought . Of course when your injured an out nothing matters becuase your not playing. But his uniqueness, his southpaw throwing style might just make the difference. TBD for sure but I certainly don't feel the same about him as I did a month ago. We get him a competent Oline , starting with a stud center it could make a big difference.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: December 10, 2021 07:48AM

what do you expect, simms is a giants faithfull since he played for them, but he is right somehow. Most of tuas passes are short 3 or 4 yard passes. Or short slants.

I bet you he wouldnt say that about the chargers qb if he beat the giants. He couldn't.

The giants couldn't stop the short passes though.

Noone has been able to figure out tuas short passes yet. He is good with the short to intermedium passes and ocationaly hits a 25 yarder or so.

Tua has shown so far we can win with him. Our top 2 receivers hurt and no running game.

Had it been other previous scrubs playing qb for the phins this year we would had been much much worse.

Date: December 10, 2021 10:46AM

I remember when Dan Marino was a commentator on ESPN. He was very fair when talking about the Dolphins. But he was a professional. Chris Simms isn't. Boomer Esasion isn't a Phins fan there were days I wanted to reach through the TV and butch slap him. However he gave credit were it was due. Still does. Chris Simms can blow me in Macy's front window.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 11, 2021 05:29AM

I wonder what Simms' opinion of Mac Jones of the Pats is... the guy only attempted three passes against buffalo (went 2 for 3). High drafted guy, coached with a strategy to run the ball (it was a winter weather game).

The entire broadcast world is New York centric. Screw them all grinning smiley

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 11, 2021 05:41AM

TC--don't let that minor league commentator upset you. No one thinks he's a good commentator let alone an expert on QB play. (Severe injury curtailed his QB career in the pros and one can only speculate if he could have been a franchise QB, if the injury to his spleen had not occurred.)

By making comments about Tua all he has done is to focus attention, negative attention, on himself.

To some extent the short passes don't reflect serious inability to throw the ball. Brady moved the ball down the field most of the time that way (still does) and that lulls the D...and Brady will take advantage of it and toss a mid to long pass. If short passing is part of the game plan and it is successful in moving the ball and scoring, that's very positive. thumbs up

Simms is being paid to comment. However, when he opines too much, he loses credibility with a lot of TV viewers.

BTW, I seriously doubt that Brady would criticize Tua for his short game. While most of us don't care for Brady, he does know football success--what works and what doesn't.

Date: December 14, 2021 02:43PM

Brady used to kill us with the the short pass. Those passes coming out of his hand in about a second, hitting Welker just a couple yards down the field who would then just dive forward for another 3 yds. It was like 7+ yards every time with almost no risk and crazy high success rate.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 15, 2021 03:30AM

Don't forget the refs never calling holding on the Pat's Oline gave Brady all the time he needed to deliver those passes. I hate the Pats.

Date: December 15, 2021 05:34AM

Oh yeah, we were absolutely playing 11 on 12+ every time we faced them - seemingly irrespective of the venue.

Date: December 22, 2021 07:30AM

F Simms.

"Through 15 weeks, Tagovailoa actually leads the league in completion percentage, as he’s completed 69.9% of his passes. He probably won’t be able to break the NFL record (74.4% set by Drew Brees in 2018), but if he keeps up this pace, he can break the Dolphins’ franchise record (68.5%) that was actually set by Ryan Fitzpatrick"

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 31, 2021 03:30AM

This week Chris Simms hit a new low. He is outright trying to make up a controversy that's not there and is really shitting on us Dolphins fans in the process.

I wish we were able to post links here. But you can catch the whole pod cast on you tube titled:

CHRIS SIMMS GOES OFF ON TUA AND MIKO GRIMES; HOPES TANNEHILL STICKS IT TO DOLPHINS FANBASE

Basically he starts off with a Ryan Tannehill interview. Tannehill was very classy and states " I have nothing against the Dolphins or the fans , they gave me a great opportunity that I'm very thankful for".

Nice right?

Then Chris Simms says....thats bullshit. He got no respect from the fans yet TUA gets all this fan backing and he's useless. He said that he hopes Tannehill finally gets his revenge and sticks it up our asses. ( his words not mine).

Tannehill said nothing remotely like that. Unbelievable. Guys like this is what's wrong with the media nowadays.

What a POS Simms is.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 31, 2021 07:41AM

He's a hack.

Date: January 02, 2022 07:23AM

I'm a Tannehill fan....but I'm a Dolphins fan first and foremost. God I hope Tannehill has his worst day ever and Chris Simms has to accept Miami is as good as advertised.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 02, 2022 11:11AM

Chris Simms comes out looking like a seer and will be taking a victory lap.
Tua was terrible today. He's a decent QB against bad teams in ideal conditions. Unfortunately every team in the AFC East has an outdoor stadium and we need a QB who won't fold on the occasional bad weather days. Tua is not that QB so far.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: January 03, 2022 04:30AM

My boys love TUA. This has been a faceless team for so long, my boys don't remember the hey day of Dan Marino. They were too young to even remember Zack Thomas or JT. So to see them excited about a player ....I'm rooting for them.

But My gut tells me TUA can't survive at the NFL level. I've seen him make extremely accurate throws but like you said it's under ideal conditions....usually at home.

I think alot of questions have been answered and this team has to think about a new QB and Oline to be successful. Our defense is kick ass. Maybe a little tweak here or there but it's a winning unit.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.