HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Miami shopping for a O Tackle..........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Miami shopping for a O Tackle..........
Date: August 08, 2021 07:47PM

"NFL Reporter Michael Lombardi is reporting that word from various teams around the league is Miami is in the market for an offensive tackle and they are willing to make a trade to acquire one. The Dolphins aren’t necessarily looking to add a starting offensive tackle but feel they need some depth behind Austin Jackson and Jesse Davis, the two players who will be starting for them on the offensive line at left tackle and right tackle.

The Dolphins had signed DJ Fluker this offseason with thoughts he would be able to be a back-up swing tackle and give Miami that depth, but his recent knee injury and release with an injury settlement has left Miami very thin with their offensive line depth chart. The current back-up tackles are rookie 7th round pick Larnel Coleman and Timon Parris who has bounced around the league from practice squad to practice squad on various teams."

We always seem to be thin at this position no matter what we do.......

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Miami shopping for a O Tackle..........
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 09, 2021 09:56AM

OL is my favorite position group and I begrudgingly accepted, as the league changed officiating, that QB is the only position that has more impact on the game, in my opinion.

I think in the past we suffered primarily because 1st rounders played well for us when they were healthy, but our 3rd/4th+ rounders simply didn't. I view that, especially when looking at teams like the Pats, as both a resource allocation issue and a player development issue, but more the latter.

Further, I think player development has a number of factors and one of the main ones is having a system you can consistently trust. We've had consistency issues in the past that have clearly had their impact here, and it's the gap I would say I think Flores needs to close the most in his leadership of the team - consistency on offense, especially at the coordinator and OL coach level. I'm all for not sticking with something that doesn't work...but it sure helps if you can pivot to something that does and then stick with it. Easier said than done, I'm sure, but it's something that needs to be sorted.

Date: August 09, 2021 04:41PM

Some good points for sure. I'm more of a defense fan....nothing better then seeing a Linebacker drill a RB or reciever and cause a turnover.

But I've been a staunch advocate for tge Oline , especially the past decade. As you said,no consistently....injuries and just poor draft choices and like you said no depth. It's affected QB play, The running game, everything.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: August 13, 2021 07:44PM

It would be so nice if this team could have a solid o-line for a couple of years so we could have a good run at something. It's always the same old story, it's always a huge worry. I'm sick of it.

Date: August 14, 2021 05:56AM

808phan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be so nice if this team could have a
> solid o-line for a couple of years so we could
> have a good run at something. It's always the same
> old story, it's always a huge worry. I'm sick of
> it.

I lay that on the GM. Poor drafting in that position for over a decade.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: August 14, 2021 09:41AM

After drafting how many OL in the last 2 years?

Date: August 14, 2021 10:47AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> After drafting how many OL in the last 2 years?

No doubt. They addressed the position. But the picks were terrible.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: August 17, 2021 11:23AM

Little from the Panthers. Hmmm. Not sure of that acquisition. We'll see how he fits in. Hopefully he can add some depth to the OL.

Date: August 17, 2021 03:46PM

colonel Wrote:
> Little from the Panthers. Hmmm. Not sure of that
> acquisition. We'll see how he fits in. Hopefully
> he can add some depth to the OL.

I think he was a 2nd round draft choice 2 yrs ago....we gave them a 7th rounder for him. These lineman are tough to judge. Its more then just picking a big fat guy like some here have put it. Mental toughness plays a big part. You have to like the constant physicality , the constant fight. You have the be huge and strong but light and fast , use angles and know the playbook! Its the hardest position outside of QB. Especially the Center who has to snap the ball and get up quick.......AND do it with no penalties! Someone like Ritchie Incognito was great because he had a serious nasty streak. Loved the contact and never stopped to the whistle. When you get a chance to anchor your offensive line with a blue chip prospect you take it.

Little probably looked good in college pushing the small fish around but in the NFL the D lineman come out you with some serious aggression. I guess its a position you just cant judge completely until you see them play at this higher level. Some depth is good.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 18, 2021 06:17AM

I really think it has so much to do with coaching. A good while ago, I read an article about how NE had such a great OL coach and it basically implied that this was a major under-the-radar secret weapon – obviously Brady was the straw that stirred the drink, of course.

Our OL was a major strength when we lined up four 1st rounders (Albert, Tunsil, Pouncey, James) and they were healthy (and I think it was like an 8-10 game run). However, it’s really unsustainable to commit the draft & cap resources that would be needed for such a line. Teams with OL that are consistently strengths for them year after year generally have a couple of relatively high picks (1st or 2nd)…maybe an expensive FA, maybe not…and some guys that every team passed on multiple times.

My guess is the NE OL coach could tell scouts exactly what he was looking for…knew how to develop the raw material and how to put it all together on the field. In my opinion, we, historically on the other hand, have had to count on elite talent to cover up coaching deficiencies and haven’t had a prayer of real development of lower round raw material. The sort of recipe that leads to 20 yrs wandering in the desert.

That said, I was actually somewhat encouraged by the 1st-team pass blocking on Saturday...but I keep in mind that defenses are vanilla in preseason and it's schemes and stunts we seem to have most trouble with.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 18, 2021 09:25AM

I agree regarding the coaching. When I see a guy like Jackson making the same mistakes like bad feet, no consistent punching, just totally missing an assignment each game that is on the coaches. It appears that a guy that has IT like (Hunt) is ok. If you don't have it this coaching staff accepts whatever you bring. Again Flores, IMO has to decide if good is enough or does he want this team to be great.

Little has better feet than Austin, and looks stronger and faster on tape but if the staff is not going to get the best out of him he will not be an upgrade. He is an SEC man so he has played against the big boys before. He should know what it takes to succeed in football.

Date: August 19, 2021 04:36AM

Interesting angle. This article stated 31 teams each have a fatal flaw. Only one team will win the superbowl . Here is the fatal flaw for each team:

MIAMI DOLPHINS: UNPROVEN OFFENSIVE LINE
Four of the Dolphins' five starting offensive linemen on their first depth chart are within three years of entering the league. None of the starting five have earned a grade higher than 65.8 overall for a season. That’s a lot of question marks to have blocking for your second-year quarterback.

It's been our flaw for the past decade. And it's not from a lack of trying. confused smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 07:29AM

How is that guy OT you wanted doing?

I havent heard about him anymore.

The one picked in the first round real high?

Tcpf?

Date: August 19, 2021 09:05AM

Penie Sewell. He went to Detroit at #8 I believe. He played 1 quarter.

He recorded 22 snaps, and only allowed just one pressure across 13 pass-blocking snaps. He finished his debut with a PFF grade above 60.

For a seasoned OT that's average. For a rookie first time out it's outstanding. Right now he's playing pro lineman on pure physicality and athleticism. He's learning the playbook, how to use angles, its all new to him at this level. He will be outstanding.

That said.....Our first rounder Waddle looked pretty incredible too. I'm not upset we didn't take Sewell.
But next draft we may have to get the best OT available with the first pick.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2021 02:28PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Date: August 28, 2021 07:33AM

The Ravens are trading OL Greg Mancz to the Dolphins with a late-round pick swap being the compensation, sources say. Solid, new depth for Miami.

They are trying.....but beggers cant be choosey. Not much available at this stage of the game.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.