Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Final 2020 offensive line rankings..........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Final 2020 offensive line rankings..........
Date: January 06, 2021 03:16AM

I didnt think it was this bad........but apparently it is:

28. MIAMI DOLPHINS

Few teams invested more in improving the offensive line than the Dolphins did entering the 2020 season. They spent draft picks on Austin Jackson in the first round, Robert Hunt in the second round and Solomon Kindley in the fourth round — all of whom played at least 700 offensive snaps this season.

Additionally, Miami brought in players such as Ereck Flowers and Ted Karras in free agency in an attempt to sure up the interior. To be fair, the Dolphins were improved along the offensive line this season, but they set the bar so low in 2019 that this was still one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL.

It’s to be expected that an offensive line running out three rookies — particularly ones who were considered projects like Jackson was — would take their lumps early on, and the Dolphins have. Hunt did provide some optimism late in the year at right tackle, though, as his 76.4 PFF grade from Week 12 through the end of the season ranked fifth out of 37 qualifying right tackles.

Offensive linemen often don’t get the recognition they deserve because it’s a difficult position to evaluate — one without readily available statistics to pull up in seconds. That's why the PFF play-by-play grading gives us a unique perspective regarding offensive line play, as it separates the play of the offensive line from the play of the quarterback it is protecting or the runner it is blocking for.

I'm posting this to show TUA didnt have a chance. I still think he did rather well with the offense he was given.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Final 2020 offensive line rankings..........
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 07, 2021 01:19AM

I think the big question is whether the rating is more a reflection of their youth and 4.5 new starters (sort of counting Jesse Davis as 1/2 a starter, though admittedly he started more than 1/2 the games) or a lack of talent and potential.

I had hoped that they would climb into the top 20 by around mid-season and maybe a bit further by the end of the season. I had also advocated - really against the Patriots way - that they sign 2 FA OL players, one premium and the other a next-tier guy, in addition to drafting OL in the early rounds of the 2020 draft. Specifically, I had been hoping for either Scherff or Thuney at G as sort of the more premium one, and Conklin at T as the next-tier guy. When both G's were given the tag, Flowers was the choice and he definitely fits more into the next-tier level at best. At least per PFF, he was in 2020 who he had been the previous couple of years. If we could have found a way to get Conklin at 3 yr/$42M it certainly wouldn't have kept us from getting Karras for 1 yr/$3M also. All water under the bridge now, of course, but I try to glean lessons from the past. At this point, I still think it's important that we have a premium piece that hopefully can be a "high tide that raises all ships", so to speak.

Date: January 07, 2021 02:48AM

Tsstamper wrote:

"hopefully can be a "high tide that raises all ships", so to speak."

Now that IS A great way to phrase what a Oline actually is. Bravo....smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 07, 2021 03:37AM

That low rating has to be linked to the team's inability to run the ball consistently with our mixed bag of RB talent.

Date: January 07, 2021 04:11AM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That low rating has to be linked to the team's
> inability to run the ball consistently with our
> mixed bag of RB talent.

Oh no doubt. There is a science to Oline schemes. Some are outstanding pass blocking, more of a push back keep the pocket kind of block, then you have the run blocking that incorporates angles and is a slashing/pulling kind of block designed to open a path....the real trick that separates the men from the boys (because all of these guys are beasts)is to do it in a such a way as to be successful AND don't get penalized. That's harder then you think. Getting a few yds and then getting penalized 5 for holding right after negates the run and always puts you in a tougher spot on 3rd down. Plays a way bigger part then you think .....you want to run that clock , create first downs , grind that defense . Then be able to throw accurate towards the middle of the field after its opened up. Huge. IMO a lineman like Sewell can play either side, he fast and athletic for both the run and pass blocking And we need a more consistent Center. TUA was out of sync this season. His counts were off, the handoff to him wasn't very good at times, And that first block as he drops back needs to be explosive, if a center can make that first block it takes at least another second for a DL to recover and come back, thats all you need with some good receivers.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 07, 2021 04:55AM

I take PFFs ratings w/ a grain of salt. I believe we ranked 28 in rush per carry so lazy PFF rates our oline at 28. They did not consider sacks allowed (Tie 17) or total yards rushing (22) where we ranked higher than 28. Not top 10 nbr but not 28.

Date: January 07, 2021 05:15AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I take PFFs ratings w/ a grain of salt. I believe
> we ranked 28 in rush per carry so lazy PFF rates
> our oline at 28. They did not consider sacks
> allowed (Tie 17) or total yards rushing (22) where
> we ranked higher than 28. Not top 10 nbr but not
> 28.

No doubt. Our rushing percentage was actually pretty damn decent a few games in a row. Our Oline is definitely improved over the last few seasons but we need to get that Pass protection up. That push off the ball. Penalty wise , I dont have the stats but I dont remember holding my head that many times going WTF!? Our Oline is defintely going in the right direction....I was surprised with that #28 rating. I would have thought Top 20 easily.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 09, 2021 03:05AM

To lend additional credence to the point of how difficult it probably is to rank OL performance: in their ranking of PIT's OL, they conceded that if only considering pressure rate, PIT's OL is tops in pass protection. Then they also shared the important contextual data that Roethlisberger's getting rid of the ball (2.17s avg) faster than any QB since 2012.

All of the OL ranked around us (27-32) are for teams that either had a rookie QB or significant injury or change at QB or both. Given what we all saw of Tua's slower processing speed than Fitz's (not knocking it - it's normal & to be expected), my guess is that our OL ranking suffered a bit because of it. I do think he'll improve processing speed and our rookie OL guys will improve in YR2.

Date: January 09, 2021 09:28AM

No doubt. Josh Allen was almost considered a bust his first season. Worse off that Sam Darnell. Difference is his Team got him the help he needed on both offense and defense. thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.