HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Third Pick
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Third Pick
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 29, 2020 05:06AM

Since Houston is playing Tenn on Sunday and Tenn needs the game, I think it's a good bet that Houston will lose. It looks like if they do, they'll have the third overall pick. If so, what do you all think about Miami taking Penei Sewell? I know that we need playmakers, but if Sewell falls to us, can we afford to not take him? Miami would have bookend franchise tackles in Jackson and Sewell. You could move Hunt to guard and with Kindley, we'd be set at guard. All we'd need then would be a center to develop. With the second first round pick, we could take the best remaining receiver. Of course, if the jets don't go QB with the second pick, and some team falls in love with Justin Fields, we could trade down and accumulate a treasure trove of additional picks. Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Third Pick
Date: December 29, 2020 07:11AM

My mind was set on trading down , get the best recievers, RB, Center available. But that was before last week when the possibility of a 3rd pick could be available to us. Seawell might be to good to pass up. TUA and the entire offense is immediately upgraded. Running game, pass protection, all of it. But with that comes a high cap hit Sewell will want $$$$.

What would Belichik do? The Pats havnt invested in a high first round ever. Always drafted down.They did thier homework and won championships.

However Sewell might be the best lineman of all time. A cement wall for TUA for the next decade.

We still have another 1st rounder and 2 #2s to get a reciever and a RB.

If Sewell drops to 3 we take him.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 29, 2020 08:34AM

I think with the rookie pay scale, we'd have a pretty cap friendly contract for Sewell. If he turns out to be as good as they say, that second contract will be a big one. I still think it would be hard to pass on a guy that's being talked about as a generational talent. We may not even get a chance though, because now that Lawrence is going to Jacksonville, the jets may take Sewell themselves and pick a QB later in the round.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 29, 2020 08:44AM

Justin fields will go to the jets.

Date: December 29, 2020 09:13AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Justin fields will go to the jets.

You don't know that. Some people realize a good QB just needs help , and Sewell would make Sam Darnold instantly better.

However we then hold the golden ticket and several teams will be blowing us to move up for a QB.

Either way Miami is in a great spot.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 29, 2020 11:23AM

I like him but wouldn't take him until the second round minimum due our more pressing needs.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 29, 2020 11:32AM

I liked Becton last year and I think Sewell is better. With that I like how Jackson (who I was not high on) is coming on at LT. I would like to move Hunt inside also. I would pass on Sewell as we did Becto and grab a receiver. I think there will be a good RT for us. I really like Faalele, then you have the kid from ND st and Munford frm OH st, Eichenberg NDame.

I think we should go for skill positions in rounds 1 and get the best center at 2A.

Date: December 29, 2020 11:53AM

Ken Wrote:
> I like him but wouldn't take him until the second
> round minimum due our more pressing needs.

Pressing needs being receiver's and running game? Guess what is a huge part of that? We have another #1 and 2 #2s to get position players. How many times was TUA sacked last week? 4 times the week before? 3 times. We got to give him a chance to succeed. Sewell might as well be drafted with a gold jacket.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 29, 2020 01:51PM

Tcpf you so lost its pathetic.

Date: December 29, 2020 02:18PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Tcpf you so lost its pathetic.

Explain to us then how a receiver stops TUA from getting sacked?

You own words :

Date: November 23, 2020 02:03PM

user ignored - click to show/hide this message
We can thank our lucky stars we have tua on one piece today.

They even made some changes on the oline in the 4th quarter.

I havent seen this dolphin oline play this bad for a while.

I CAN explain how a lineman like Sewell will get receivers open though. Running backs also. Please explain how the best Receiver in the draft stops sacks. Even Dan Marino had Richmond Webb. Receivers came and went. He had that wall blocking his blind side every play.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 29, 2020 02:28PM

Tua had had enough time....he is a rookie and needs to get to the speed of the game next year it will happen.

Then how do you explain fitspatrick coming in and finding receivers open and everything starts clicking.

Same oline.

Tua needs new receivers a dominating running game with the same oline and he will be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2020 02:30PM by samsam3738.

Date: December 29, 2020 02:32PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Tua had had enough time....he is a rookie and
> needs to get to the speed of the game next year it
> will happen.
>
> Then how do you explain fitspatrick coming in and
> finding receivers open and everything starts
> clicking.
>
> Same oline.
>
> Tua needs new receivers a dominating running game
> with the same oline and he will be fine.

OMG. eye rolling smiley

What happened in the last game FITZ came in?

I love Fitz......that last play was amazing......but if ANY play showed we need an upgrade on the OLINE it was that one.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 29, 2020 02:35PM

Not that last play only he came in with about 9 minutes left and everything started clicking he moved the offense rather well no?

Or didnt you see the game.

Date: December 29, 2020 02:39PM

The Up Tempo helped. Sure. The Raiders were thrown off a bit. But if you think our Oline issues are healed because of that you dont know the NFL very well.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 29, 2020 02:45PM

Problem with oline rookies is getting bullrushed....these rookie are what 22 to 23 years old. Wait until they get older and stroger...they wont get bullrushed as much...the potential is there...they did pretty well for been rookies. In a couple of years these 3 rookie starters will flourish.

Date: December 29, 2020 04:25PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Problem with oline rookies is getting
> bullrushed....these rookie are what 22 to 23 years
> old. Wait until they get older and stroger...they
> wont get bullrushed as much...the potential is
> there...they did pretty well for been rookies. In
> a couple of years these 3 rookie starters will
> flourish.

OK. Lets say your right. What happens when 1 gets hurt . what about the other positions on the line? A couple of years? By That time you will be asking for TUAS head and demanding a first round QB pick again .

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 30, 2020 06:24AM

When they get hurt....We can always draft Olinemen in future drafts...

We are close..

What we need is superstar receivers and running back that can dominate....

You and you OLinemen every year.....You probably been saying it for 20 years....And we barely smelled the playoffs in 20 years.

Date: December 30, 2020 06:34AM

I agree that we need playmakers at wide receiver and running back but Sewell is a guy that's being talked about in Orlando Pace, Walter Jones and Anthony Munoz terms. Not saying he'll be that good but that's what some are saying. How could you pass on that type of talent? Plus, if you take Sewell, you get the bonus of moving Hunt to guard and you improve that position. Flowers has been okay, but I'd rather have a younger road grater type like Hunt and Kindley at guard.

Date: December 30, 2020 06:35AM

Whens the last time we drafted a good to great rb and good to great receiver...

Ronnie brown 1st round
Devante parker 1st round

Parker been hurt but that happens and its part of the game....

Noticed the word 1st round????????

I dont want a so so rb like gaskins in the 4th or 5th.....He is good enough to get by......Second stringer......But he is no home run hitter.....

He did impressed me with that catch and run for a td against the raiders.....Kudos to him....There is always a first time......Looks like he has some wheels...

But i still believe he isnt a dominating superstar that can change a game.

And what receiver do we have that teams are scared of...???

NONE..

Maybe parker when healthy....Gesicky is not a deep threat

Other than that.....NONE

Iam talking about a couple of receivers that you fear that you have to put both safeties in center field away from the Oline.....Insert a Dominant rb.....and we suddenly get to be able to compete with the likes of buffalo and kansas city...

In the mean time...

Ist round exit in the playoffs....If we even make it because we are not a complete team.

Date: December 30, 2020 06:42AM

Ok whatever happens let it be for the best of the phins.....If we get that tackle with the 3rd pick then we get the receiver or running back with the second 1st rounder and with the first pick in the second round...

We are so close...

Date: December 30, 2020 04:19PM

What your not trying to understand is that a Lineman like Sewell instantly upgrades every position on the Oline. INSTANTLY not a few yrs down the road. This guy is Plug and play. AND he can dominate on both sides of the pocket. FOLLOW ME CLOSELY HERE SAM........

Many guards cant switch both sides and be effective. Like a boxer they have a dominant side they are just better at. Like a switch hitter...... Sewell Dominates anywhere on the line. We have a LEFTY QB. He can protect his blind side AND ......stay with me here Sam.........Can switch sides if he gets hurt . This guy will make any Running back like Gaskins , and receiver like Parker instantly better. He will open holes, stretch the field on running plays and pass protect like the elite ......ON DAY 1. Not a few yrs down the road.

Instant HUGE upgrade accross the board. Cant miss. This is the kind of players I totally back taking in the first round. Cant see the Jets passing on him unless they want to dump Sam Darnell.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 31, 2020 02:05PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Ken Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I like him but wouldn't take him until the
> second
> > round minimum due our more pressing needs.
>
>
> Pressing needs being receiver's and running game?
> Guess what is a huge part of that? We have another
> #1 and 2 #2s to get position players. How many
> times was TUA sacked last week? 4 times the week
> before? 3 times. We got to give him a chance to
> succeed. Sewell might as well be drafted with a
> gold jacket.

RE: Yes, because we don't have a #1 WR, our #2 is oft injured and our speedster has butter hands and is also oft injured. We need a massive infusion of speed and toughness in our passing game. We also need a bruising type RB that breaks tackles, runs with power and has homerun speed. I like the RB's we have but we don't have that dominating runner and we need that. I'm not saying we shouldn't add another O-Line player but not in the first round when we need playmakers.

Date: December 31, 2020 02:08PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tcpf you so lost its pathetic.
>
>
> Explain to us then how a receiver stops TUA from
> getting sacked?
>
> You own words :
>
> Date: November 23, 2020 02:03PM
>
> user ignored - click to show/hide this message
> We can thank our lucky stars we have tua on one
> piece today.
>
> They even made some changes on the oline in the
> 4th quarter.
>
> I havent seen this dolphin oline play this bad for
> a while.
>
>
> I CAN explain how a lineman like Sewell will get
> receivers open though. Running backs also. Please
> explain how the best Receiver in the draft stops
> sacks. Even Dan Marino had Richmond Webb.
> Receivers came and went. He had that wall blocking
> his blind side every play.

RE: By giving Tua the ability to get rid of the ball quicker and have those plays go for positive yards. Worked very well for Brady throughout his career.

Date: December 31, 2020 04:11PM

Absolutely Ken. No doubt getting fast receiver's and explosive runners will help........But it all starts at the foundation. And ours is improved but it still has some seriously cracked concrete.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 07:05PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Date: January 01, 2021 06:01AM

Exactly what ken said.

Exaclty.

Date: January 01, 2021 07:10PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Exactly what ken said.
>
> Exaclty.

Glad Ken Explained it so well. eye rolling smiley

Fansided agrees we need a receiver and a Workhorse back however:

"This year’s draft must focus on filling the holes in the offense. Mainly the lack of depth at the wideout spot and quite possibly finding a new workhorse running back.

Many view Sewell as a generational offensive tackle prospect. Some even say he’s the best offensive tackle prospect since Orlando Pace.

He is also the best offensive line prospect since Quinton Nelson was taken third overall in 2018 by the Indianapolis Colts. He has been one of the best offensive guards since he first hit the NFL.

In an article I wrote earlier this week, taking Sewell at three was the best option for the Dolphins if the Jets pass on him"

Read that last paragraph. Try to let that sink in. IF THE JETS pass on him.Thats a big IF.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 10:09PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 02, 2021 05:05AM

The term " Generational Talent " is an overused cliche in the run-up to the draft. Trevor Lawrence was a "Generational Talent" until that game yesterday.
With all that out of the way Najee Harris is a Generational Talent.
Recall, the last time we won the division we had just drafted Ronny Brown at #2 and already had Ricky Williams in the stable.
As can be seen in Tennessee, an elite RB can elevate the play of an average QB, which is where we are now.

Date: January 02, 2021 09:10AM

Thats a fair argument. thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 02, 2021 11:13AM

Hooligan gets it.

Date: January 02, 2021 04:16PM

Did some watercooler talk , not experts, but someone I trust with a vast knowledge of college ball (his basketball knowledge would blow you away) and he seems to think Harris, may be available as low as the 2nd round.

Got to admit he put on a show yesterday. Imagine getting Sewell and him with both 1st rounders? Then 2 recievers in the 2nd round? Be Epic.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.