HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          We NEED to get rid of this kid!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
We NEED to get rid of this kid!
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 12:21PM

I simply can't believe that normally intelligent football fans are being willfully blind about this mediocre kid Tua Tagovailoa (apparently only Joe Rose can pronounce the kid's name correctly). I keep hearing patently silly statements like this one:

"Tua learned from his foibles of the first half. He's learning!"

What did he see that makes him believe this? The kid can't throw long, so we have to put together long, multiplay drives every time, something that Tua has proved he cannot do with any consistency. I'm sick of people saying things about this kid that don't square with the facts. I heard on the Fifth Quarter show one of the self-important commentators say," I don't care what the statistics say, Tua played a great game!". Tua DID NOT play "a great game"or anything even approaching it. Tua did not even play a good game. He played another average game. The other commentator said "the Dolphins had only one bad drive in the first half". Did this supposed "expert" actually watch the game? We had only one GOOD drive in the first half and Tua ended that with a turnover (which, I agree, wasn't his fault.) All the rest ended badly, usually with a 3rd-and-long. This kid wouldn't be a winner if his defense and today his running game weren't winning games for him. He's played one good half and -maybe- three mediocre quarters. And for this we wasted a 5th overall pick!?
I'm sick of people making excuses for this kid just because so many of them were screaming for us to draft him and they know that this kid is making them look bad, but also the national media is for some reason (probably the same reason) giving him some great publicity which is something we're not used to and we love, but as soon as reality sets in that will fade, I think. There might even be a backlash, they don't like to be embarrassed.
Face the fact that this kid is mediocre. Please face it before we draft, we NEED to draft a true franchise QB, along with that RB. We need to get what we can for him before the national media come to their senses.

I certainly expect to be vilified for this opinion, due to the fact that so many of you were fixated on drafting this kid, but if you are honest with yourself you know that this kid isn't what you expected and isn't playing up to expectations. And, on top of all this is the fact that the kid is injury-prone. These facts don't add up to what most of you are saying.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: We NEED to get rid of this kid!
Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 20, 2020 12:54PM

I was not in favor of our drafting Tua (due to his injury history, as you mentioned), but he is doing WAY better than I'd expected. I guess my expectations were low and I am a homer.

And the defensive play is making him look better, for sure.

I think the key is he is making a minimal number of bonehead plays. I don't even blame today's INT on him entirely, as he was hit from behind as he threw the ball.

Fewer sacks than I'd expected, and committing fewer turnovers.

I personally don't need the QB to carry the team or make the highlight reel. Just move the ball and minimize the mistakes. Put up 20+ points per game and get great support from the D (who continued to get takeaways and did not allow a TD).

It will remain important for us to have a solid backup on the roster because of Tua being prone to injury. As I said, I didn't want us to draft him but he's doing as well as I could expect for a rookie. His sophomore year will tell whether he is really learning.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 01:41PM

I don't disagree, JC. I wasn't for drafting him, either. However, we did so I was hoping that he would change my mind - but he hasn't done so to this point.

Rick

Date: December 20, 2020 02:08PM

I wont ever vilify anyone if they have a different opinion but back it with facts . I wasn't for drafting TUA Not with so many great options available. However since he has started he has shown great toughness mentally and physically.

Peyton Manning through 28 INT's his first season. Rome wasn't built in a day.

TUA had zero starting receiver's or runningbacks. He had a great 95 yd drive in the first quarter that ended up in a INT . Didnt faze him. He went into the half, adjusted and won with a Skelton crew of offensive players.

I wish I could post a link.....Early in the season he chased down a defender that picked up a fumble and tackled him himself. Unbelievable heart. He's still a little small needs to pack on some NFL muscle in the offseason but hes played really well . NOT GREAT ......but he's coming along way better then I thought he would.

Definitely doesn't justify a first round pick. No way. We pick a back up down the line if Fitz doesn't want to play absolutely.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 03:09PM

I didnt want the phins to draft him either.

I think he will change our minds when we finnaly give tua the highly regarded receivers and running backs this team needs to get to the next level as a team.

Date: December 20, 2020 03:13PM

I have to admit it gets deppressing when i see this team struggling so much.

Date: December 20, 2020 03:18PM

Had it been a team with some life we played today....we lose the game in the first half.

I guess i be happy with a first round beat down loss in the first round if we make playoffs in tuas first year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2020 03:19PM by samsam3738.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 21, 2020 12:18AM

If the opposite of where you are is "he is the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady", I don't think I'm nearly as far that direction as you seem to be with the urgent "need to get rid of this kid". However, I am one who wanted us to draft him and am happy we did.

I would ask a small handful of questions:
1) If he were meeting your expectations, would there be dramatically different end results in terms of how the season has gone to date?
2) Could you quantify your expectations of him at this point in his playing career? I think it would be fair to consider and include the contextual facts: 7 starts, skill position starters largely manned by 2nd/3rd stringers on our team. This isn't to excuse anything, but to take into account legitimate factors in order to have realistic expectations.
3) Could you outline your proposed solution in more detail? It sounds like you want our true franchise QB to come via the draft and that you'd like us to trade Tua for "what we can". I believe both of the top 2 drafting teams are QB-needy...are you proposing we put together a package that includes Tua & picks to get into the top 2?

It may be coincidental that your post came on the day of the Phins/Pats game, but I find it interesting that in terms of QBs available for drafting in 2020, the Phins won against the Pats with Tua @ QB throwing a stupid INT, having massive running game support, (but being a part of it by rushing for 2 TD himself), and a very good defensive approach. LAC lost massively (45-0, or slightly worse than our week 2 shutout in 2019 at the hands of a much better NE team) with a hot Herbert and his full compliment of starting, and generally high-quality, skill position players. Herbert threw for 209 yards on 53 attempts (3.9 YPA) and 2 picks. The point is that Belicheck generally makes rookie QBs - even early 1st rounders who have shown a lot - look bad and, more importantly, lose.

For me, I've seen plenty to date to make me want to see more. I'm not looking at every single thing he does as a way to justify growth (frankly, I'm also a bit sick of the media's hyper-micro-assessment of his every play). But, with my own eyes, I've seen growth in his 7 games started. I'm also thankful that he's been able to grow within a period during which we've gone 5-2 with very strong contributions from many parts of the team. Outside of losing him to injury and never knowing what his potential truly is at the NFL level, my greatest disappointment with him would be to see him level off his growth/improvement at about where he is now. So, I am admittedly and unashamedly counting on and planning to see continued growth and development.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 21, 2020 02:30AM

"Tua learned from his foibles of the first half. He's learning!"

Rick, those are my choice of words while watching the ballgame.

Your opinion of Tua at this point differs from the views of many others, however, you won't be vilified for expressing a different view point.

I was one that believed RG III was too small, too thin to stand up to the punishment he would receive in the NFL. Similarly, I doubted Tua's size and frame PLUS the major injury he sustained playing for Saban at 'Bama. The Dolphins gambled. We could have selected Herbert.

Every time the ball is hiked to Tua, I wonder whether he will be hit so hard that his career will end. Each time he is hit, I watch closely on how he gets off the turf. It's very possible that Tua is thinking the same thing. I don't know, but if he is, he's not taking that extra risk and playing it a bit safe. If you watch some of the other new QBs in the league, there are many showing greatness and they sparkle. Josh Allen, who has lots of games under his helmet now is really shinning. He is one of the new crop of starting QBs moving in to replace the older guys who have been around for a long time. Some of them are/were 'A' players, some were not, just good enough to stay and keep their team competitive.

I don't find Tua's play at this point sparkling. I simply see a young QB that is learning how to become an NFL QB. The kid shows promise and his teammates are working hard to make the team successful. If his playing ability fails to improve and he plateaus then the Dolphins need to acquire a better QB. The team has won 9 games so far. They play Gruden's Raiders next Saturday night. Carr may be out and his second is Marcus Mariota. Mariota is a good QB and tough to defend.

Go Dolphins.

Date: December 21, 2020 03:26AM

Its no doubt we are winning games because of our defense and special teams. But TUA is making alot happen with almost nothing. I can't wait to see what he does with a fresh off-season, some healthy players , and a decent spring training.

Lol.....only here can we find people still unhappy while we just eliminated the Pats and are on the CUSP of making the playoffs in our rookie QBs first season!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 21, 2020 04:24AM

And we might win 10 games this year. We havent won 10 games in a season in more than a decade i believe.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 21, 2020 04:52AM

Call me crazy, but I'm not going to evaluate a rookie QB in a season where there was no preseason and he didn't start his first game until the 7th game of the season and after coming back from a horrendous injury that could've ended his career. I would only add that in his last game (and for a good bit of the one before) he was throwing to a waiver wire pickup from Philly, two rookie receivers who are converted college QBs, and a tight end who was drafted to be a blocker. Give him a full complement of weapons and then if he falters, we can have a meaningful conversation. Until then, I have to give him an incomplete grade. That said, I think he's shown enough to make me hopeful that he can be a winning QB for this franchise long term.

Date: December 21, 2020 06:11AM

TUA literally took a pile of dog shit, added a few packets of salt ,some Oregano......was lucky to find some fresh bread and made a very edible sandwich. Little heartburn...but it did the job and fed a ton of people.

Wait until the truck arrives with some real ingredients. Hes going to cook up a feast!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 21, 2020 06:41AM

smileys with beer

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 21, 2020 07:44AM

Interesting analogy there Treasure. I'll bet you're a real hit hosting the neighborhood cookout. Yessiree, If it can't crawl off the plate by itself, it's ready to serve.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.