HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tua named starter
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Tua named starter
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 20, 2020 07:31AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tua named starter
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 20, 2020 07:59AM

I think maybe this is premature. I know we have a bye week but fitspatrick has been doing great. He is doing better than i ever thought he could actually.

We have a shot at a wildcard spot.

Why cant they just wait till next year....?eye rolling smiley

Maybe this is bogus news. I dont know.

Date: October 20, 2020 08:07AM

Hooligan2 said

www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins
/fl-sp-dolphins-name-tua-tagovailoa-starting-qb-tu
esday-20201020-iysljq6xnjgehhjoqojvfz4mie-story.ht
ml

He's got 2 weeks to prepare. Hope he's ready.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2020 08:08AM by samsam3738.

Date: October 20, 2020 08:12AM

Copy that and paste.....Its true.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 20, 2020 08:32AM

Because the TV rating massively spiked when Tua got on the field and we need more Yac from our receivers who are all very low in the league.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 20, 2020 10:56AM

I'm fine with it. First of all, I trust Flores to do whatever he thinks is the best thing for the long-term success of the team. Secondly, we need to know whether Tua is the franchise QB we all want him to be. Particularly given that we have two number one picks in next years draft (one of which could be quite high if Houston will cooperate and keep losing). There are some good QB prospects in next years draft besides Trevor Lawrence.

To me, this season is more about developing the young players on the roster, evaluating where we need to invest next year's draft capital (and free agency) and prepare for a run next year and years after.

Date: October 20, 2020 04:09PM

The question is, Was there pressure from the front office to put Tua in or, is he really ready? At least we saw from last season that Flores was not hesitant to yank Rosen and put Finspatrick back in. It's comforting to know that Fitz could go back in and not miss a beat.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 20, 2020 05:26PM

I don't have a problem with it, I just really hope Tua is ready physically. I guess he felt good after his short stint in the Jets game, but a real test would be say, an entire half.

Totally agree with Hooligan, they can always take him back out if he's not performing. I just hope they don't take him out on a stretcher.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: October 20, 2020 07:20PM

Tua time is happening sooner than I thought but I'll think of that as a positive thing regarding his level of readiness. It would probably be a good thing to know before this coming off season if he's truly going to be our hopes and dreams for our team at QB, so go get it done Tua, we know you're hungry for it!

I do have to say that Fitz is a real class act. I think he's really embraced his role as Tua's mentor.

Date: October 20, 2020 07:42PM

OK boys and girls.. ...you wanted it. You got it. Things should get weally weally interesting from here on.

Word has it......Cowboys want to trade for Fitz Magic. We have a shot at the wildcard......

Guess its time to tbrown TUA in the deep end and tell him to swim.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 20, 2020 10:32PM

Just watched the NFL.com video with Kurt Warner who discussed the 2004 transition from him to Eli Manning with him playing well and the team competing toward playoff contention. Of the various things I've read/seen so far about the switch, I think that's the one I find most helpful. He's such an upstanding professional - like Fitz. Eli was clearly the future - like Tua. My hope (and, honestly, belief) is that Flores handled his part as well as Warner said Coughlin did back then.

It's crazy how personally connected one can become to a team, and, saying that, I find myself incredibly grateful for Fitz...not only what he's done in his short time with us, but who he is. No idea if he wants to play for another team, but, selfishly, I'd love to see him stay and even transition into coaching with us.

Obviously wishing Tua the very best as he assumes the starting role, but, at the same time, sad to not see #14 back there bringing everything he does to every play (literally downfield blocking for a Gaskin run lookin' like a pulling guard!)

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: October 21, 2020 05:35AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK boys and girls.. ...you wanted it. You got it.
> Things should get weally weally interesting from
> here on.
>
> Word has it......Cowboys want to trade for Fitz
> Magic. We have a shot at the wildcard......
>
> Guess its time to tbrown TUA in the deep end and
> tell him to swim.

Unless Dallas overpays I would not want to see Fitz traded.

Date: October 21, 2020 09:42AM

Well I just read that Fitz is heartbroken about being benched. I thought he knew this was coming sooner than later but I guess not. I'm feeling really bad for Fitz now. This better not be a move by Ross himself just to make more money.

Date: October 21, 2020 10:12AM

808phan Wrote:
> Well I just read that Fitz is heartbroken about
> being benched. I thought he knew this was coming
> sooner than later but I guess not. I'm feeling
> really bad for Fitz now. This better not be a move
> by Ross himself just to make more money.

I read the same thing and I feel horrible for Fitz. He is such a class act and plays his heart out every down. My head tells me that it's the right thing to do because at some point, the team needs to know whether Tua is the real deal. My heart tells me that Fitz didn't deserve this and deserved to finish out the season. I'm just glad it wasn't my decision to make.

As far as Ross being the reason behind the move, I just can't imagine he is. Ross, for all his faults and he has lots, has usually taken a hands off approach with football decisions. He wanted to trade down and take Lamar Jackson when Grier and Flores talked him into staying put and taking Minkah (who knew). Plus, Flores just doesn't seem like the kind of coach that would wilt to upstairs pressure. At the end of the day, we may never know the real reason.

I will say one thing. If any component of the decision was based on Fitz' second half against the jets where he was admittedly shaky, I'd lay the blame on Gailey. Clearly Fitz was off with his accuracy. We were up 24 points and the running game early had been working well. There were several sequences where we three the ball three straight downs and then punted. Once I saw that Fitz was struggling, I'd have started running the ball more, kill clock, and limit the mistakes Fitz could make. Hey, that's just me. I might be wrong. In any event, I hope Fitz sticks around in the NFL. He's a great ambassador for the league.

Date: October 21, 2020 11:34AM

I don't think the final decision was Ross or Flores individually but, I do think it was business related as opposed to trying to win the division or even making the play-offs.
They're not selling any more tickets to the games so, it's more about creating a buzz, selling jerseys, merchandizing.
I'm afraid though that it's messing with the chemistry in the
locker-room. Fitz was like a kid out there, clearly enjoying himself, putting his body on the line and, the other players were feeding off that. As good and accurate as Tua might be I can't see him as the emotional leader that Fitz was. We'll have to wait and see but, personally, I was rooting for the old guy.

Date: October 21, 2020 12:20PM

The only thing I'd add, I truly doubt this team was going to win a championship this year with Fitz or Tua. Still too many holes on the roster need to be filled. So if we're talking about next year and the year later and so forth, Tua is probably the right play.

Date: October 21, 2020 04:52PM

Except that Tua has never been able to play an entire season, college or high school. Those are 12 game seasons. Expecting him to stay healthy for a 16 game season in the NFL where defenses are faster and more physical is just wishful thinking.

Date: October 21, 2020 06:07PM

I'd be kinda be pissed , If I were TUA. They are putting him in a really tough place. Fans like and respect Fitz. He was expected to finish out the season unless he took a shit on the 50 yd line.That hasn't been the case. So it looks like he's being treated unfairly and TUA as special.

He better come out of the gate with a few wins or this decision will go south fast.Faster then usual.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 10:31PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 25, 2020 12:25PM

Fitzpatrick is a smart guy. He knows that Tua needs a "second" in the event he has trouble during the game (not playing well) or has a minor injury and can't continue. His future, IMO, remains strong because of his intelligence and his QB experience. "He's an old salt." You keep those "old salts" around to help provide guidance and if necessary to step in and take over. There's always going to be a difference between youth and experience. Both are needed to keep this team on the right path.

IMO, the Dolphins should sign Fitzpatrick to a 2-year deal as a back up and then offer him, as part of that contract, a position as QB coach for another 2 years.

Tua will provide additional punch to the offense and make opponent defenses more tentative. Both positives.

Date: October 26, 2020 06:32AM

Sunday morning ESPN was pretty spirited concerning Fitz getting benched. They even suggested it came from Ross.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 26, 2020 08:01AM

> Sunday morning ESPN was pretty spirited concerning
> Fitz getting benched. They even suggested it came
> from Ross.

Yeah, I saw that and don't believe that it's accurate. That would be completely out of character with Ross. There's a crap load of things to complain about Ross (hiring Tannenbaum comes to mind) but meddling with the football decisions hasn't been one of them. I think Flores and Grier made this call and only they know why. I still think that Fitz' history of imploding and the need to know going forward whether Tua is the guy are the two main reasons. Houston being 1-6 may be a factor as well. If Miami has a top 3 or 4 pick in the draft, wouldn't it be a good idea to know if the franchise QB we drafted last year is as good as advertised? Right or wrong, I think that Flores and Grier made the call.

Date: October 29, 2020 07:58PM

TUA is a very different QB for me....

I'm usually pretty sure how I feel about a player. I'm either right or wrong. But I'm on one side or the other.

TUA has me seriously undecided / unsure. Not trying to cop out....I just seriously can't get a vibe on him.

I thought I had my thoughts about him solidified until he played that amazing game against LSU and he came back to lose 46-41. Really looked impressive.

But can he do it in the NFL? I just don't know. I want him too.....but I just don't know. Will he stay healthy? I just don't know.......

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 30, 2020 08:21AM

> TUA is a very different QB for me....
>
> I'm usually pretty sure how I feel about a player.
> I'm either right or wrong. But I'm on one side or
> the other.
>
> TUA has me seriously undecided / unsure. Not
> trying to cop out....I just seriously can't get a
> vibe on him.
>
> I thought I had my thoughts about him solidified
> until he played that amazing game against LSU and
> he came back to lose 46-41. Really looked
> impressive.
>
> But can he do it in the NFL? I just don't know. I
> want him too.....but I just don't know. Will he
> stay healthy? I just don't know.......

I'm feeling that "I just don't know" too. I think I'm feeling that because I have optimism but at the same time I have to be causious because I don't want to feel let down.

One thing I'm thrilled about though is this game will be televised on the west coast because of the Rams. I FINALLY get to see a Phins game, and what a game to see...The debut of Tua as a starter. I am really excited about that, so much that I have anxiety that comes with a twist in my gut. I hope I don't have the shits come Sunday.

**edit** What I do know is that he has some mighty big shoes to fill, especially if he wants to even come close to the success of #13.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2020 08:28AM by 808phan.

Date: October 30, 2020 05:29PM

808phan Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > TUA is a very different QB for me....
> >
> > I'm usually pretty sure how I feel about a
> player.
> > I'm either right or wrong. But I'm on one side
> or
> > the other.
> >
> > TUA has me seriously undecided / unsure. Not
> > trying to cop out....I just seriously can't get
> a
> > vibe on him.
> >
> > I thought I had my thoughts about him
> solidified
> > until he played that amazing game against LSU
> and
> > he came back to lose 46-41. Really looked
> > impressive.
> >
> > But can he do it in the NFL? I just don't know.
> I
> > want him too.....but I just don't know. Will he
> > stay healthy? I just don't know.......
>
> I'm feeling that "I just don't know" too. I think
> I'm feeling that because I have optimism but at
> the same time I have to be causious because I
> don't want to feel let down.
>
> One thing I'm thrilled about though is this game
> will be televised on the west coast because of the
> Rams. I FINALLY get to see a Phins game, and what
> a game to see...The debut of Tua as a starter. I
> am really excited about that, so much that I have
> anxiety that comes with a twist in my gut. I hope
> I don't have the shits come Sunday.
>
> **edit** What I do know is that he has some mighty
> big shoes to fill, especially if he wants to even
> come close to the success of #13.

Man , that is spot on. Cautious optimism. I want him to succeed ....but like a person who's been in alot of bad relationships , I can't get on a knee and propose to him yet.....lol.

I also think a big problem with all dolpfans everywhere is they constantly want to compare everyone to Dan Marino.We need to stop doing that or we will forever be unhappy.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.