HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Pat White .... here's what yer gettin
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Pat White .... here's what yer gettin
Posted by: allsports ()
Date: May 18, 2009 08:52AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pat White .... here's what yer gettin
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 18, 2009 09:18AM

Maybe that will translate into the NFL. We'll have to wait and see!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: May 18, 2009 10:38AM

I'd seen many clips of him before, but I hadn't seen him block. In one of those highlights he pulls a Tony Bua and takes out two guys with one block. Wow, I'm more and more impressed with this guy the more I learn about him.

Can't wait to see him doing these things wearing Aqua and Orange.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 18, 2009 12:07PM

I will say this...he has better moves and running ability than Ted Ginn or any of our receivers.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: May 18, 2009 01:55PM

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: May 18, 2009 02:18PM

I need a moment to gather myself before I comment. I don't beleive Pat White is an every down Quarterback. He won't be out Chad Henne. He will be a slash type wild cat running quarterback that can throw the football thats about it folks. In other words he is a gimmick not really a Qb who can play at the pro level. All this talk about him being simply the best is nonsense Marino was and will always be the best to ever play the Qb position enough said on this subject.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: May 18, 2009 04:09PM

I agree about the Ginn highlights. When we drafted him and I saw those hghlights...I thought...wow!!

In retrospect, when i re-examine the Ginn highlights....we is a great return guy, and turning hitch passes into big plays, or reverses. but I haven't seen as much 'wr' footage that impresses me.

That said, he is improving. This year he could hit 1,000 yds.

Date: May 18, 2009 06:57PM

no one said pat white is the greatest thing, we all praise him because in the double wingback formation, which he played a simular while at WVU, he is going to dominate with a solid o-line and two top noch rb's.

Date: May 19, 2009 04:39AM

Even if you compare both highlights, Ginn shows speed which is not always as big a difference in the NFL. White showed running ability and vision which does translate to the NFL more than speed since everyone is fast in the NFL. It was still impressive.

I don't know if any of you watched "4th and Long" last night but it is a pretty good show. Michael Irvin is trying out a group of WR's and DB's to see who will get a tryout for the Cowboys.

Irvin made a point that I thought was pretty telling. He had the players doing sprints in a 4th quarter conditioning drill until the guys were exhausted and vomiting. Then he said he wanted to see the players run a 40 yard dash. He said your game speed is not about running a 4.3 40 on the first series of the game. It is about how you run in the 4th quarter when you are exhausted. That is your true speed.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: allsports ()
Date: May 19, 2009 04:52AM

Let me ask...

All Michael Vick baggage aside, ( my god..all baggage aside)
What does Vick have that made him a franchise type QB that White doesn't?

If you don't know already, White was drafted as an outfielder coming out of high school in the 4th round by the Angels. He had gone on record as saying if he gets drafted 3rd round or higher, he would pursue baseball, and forget football. The hook was that even tho he was a 4th round pick, he was the Angels 3rd overall selection....so he ALMOST didn't choose football.

He also gave a football verbal to LSU. LSU said they would "try" him a QB, but he would likely end up at safety. In recruting him, WVU said QB all along..and just before signing day, he changed his mind.

Date: May 19, 2009 05:28AM

Pat white has a lot of talent and when you put him at the college level he looks like a monster.

Remember in college he was playing against kids who will never see the field again when they graduate.

I wanna see what he can do in the NFL where everybody is fast.

Hopefully his talents translates into the NFl.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: May 19, 2009 05:37AM

impressive. I think he will break a few this season. The best is seeing him CUT-BACK and leave the defense in his dust.

"Don't tell me about the pain, show me the baby." - BP

Date: May 19, 2009 06:07AM

The same thing could be said for every NFL player.

The thing I find most impressive are the number of Bowl wins. 4 wins in 4 years over Georgia, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma and North Carolina.

No matter what the talent he has faced, he has performed beyond that level.

No one knows how he will do in the NFL but it is intriquing.

Date: May 19, 2009 08:05AM

Tell you what I'll Take rookie Matt Ryan and you can have Pat White then tell me which team has the better Qb. His skills don't translate into the pro game as good an athlete as Michael Vick was he wasn't able to throw from the pocket hence he was an incomplete Qb. All this talk about Athleticisim is good if your talking about wide receiver or another position, but a Qb needs to be able to step up in the pocket under extreme pressure find an open receiver and complete the pass. I don't care what kind of athlete Pat White is he has never consistantly shown the ability to play in a pro style offense.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 19, 2009 08:22AM

Now why did Matt Ryan have to come into this?

I would rather have Peyton Manning than Chad Pennington, but guess what? Its a mute point.

We have who we have.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: May 19, 2009 08:35AM

Wow...you are really stepping out on a ledge there! You'll take a QB that has already proven he can play over a guy with zero NFL starts? What a risk taker you are.

Sorry but I will take Mike Mayock's opinion over yours. He says he can play a pocket passer in the NFL and that his skills DO translate.

He's never show the ability to play in a pro style offense because he's never been in a pro style offense.....

except at the Senior Bowl...where I am pretty sure he was the game MVP and outshined every QB there. Not bad for a guy with no "pro style" experience.

Like I said, he has stepped up and delivered at every opportunity he has gotten.

Mike Vick has a rocket arm but it does no good if you can't hit the broad side of a barn. He has all the "skills" in the world...just not the brains or dedication to get it done.

I'll tell you what...I will take a smart guy like Bob Greise or Drew Brees over a cannon armed player like Jeff George or Kyle Bollar any day of the week. Especially Sunday!

If you're really lucky...you get a guy with both but there is only one Dan Marino.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: May 19, 2009 11:39AM

imo White has skills that can translate in the nfl, but I don't see him doing some of the things he got away with in college. And when Ronnie had the ball in the wildcat you figured he could power run with it, with White there's no power run threat so you figure he's going to throw it. In the NFL it's how you use players, where you plug them in, etc, that matters. The trifecta thinks we could really use him so I believe them on that.

As far as Ryan, we passed on him, and this year we passed on elite WR's, so you have to figure that having a servicable QB and WR core are satisfactory to the Trifecta, and they want a tough defense and ball control offense heavy on run and relying on TE's, as their formula to win. It's too bad Thomas got hurt again. I'm a little worried with the O line.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: May 19, 2009 11:56AM

e had a rough second day per OTA reports, but he'll adjust.

Posted by: Rmorc13 ()
Date: May 19, 2009 04:30PM

PW will be a superstar.

Date: May 20, 2009 04:03AM

Oh really in what sport watch how you throw that word around.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: May 20, 2009 04:39AM

Lets get OFFENSIVE!

Date: May 20, 2009 04:55AM

Finshady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh really in what sport watch how you throw that
> word around.

Of course he will be a star. Aren't we all homers? Isn't tha what we all want? How about you finshady? Do you want him to be a star?

I see nothing wrong with his saying that.

Date: May 20, 2009 05:25AM

I won't go that far yet (Superstar) but he will be causing all the teams on our schedule spending a lot of time preparing to stop him. More than they spent last year with only Ronnie Brown. He and our new look widlcat present too many problems for other teams...and even if he is just a situational guy, all signs point to a dangerous weapon.

Date: May 20, 2009 05:45AM

Just by having other teams spend extra time on defense working on the wild cat is a win in my book.

Eesti, a jet fan would like pat white to be a bust, you and i would like him to be a superstar. Its just a wish.

I saw nothing wrong with him throwing that around here since this a dolphins message board. Now if you throw that around a jetbillorpats message board its a different story.

Date: May 21, 2009 02:16AM

My point about superstar, and not throwing that word around. This storied franchise has only had one legitimate superstar. That is one Dan Marino no one else comes close for Pat White to be a superstar at the Qb position or any other position then he would have to be as good as the greatest dolphin of all time very highly unlikely folks. Lets stay grounded in realism here.

Date: May 21, 2009 03:55AM

Dan Marino is the only Superstar in Dolphins History?

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 21, 2009 05:11AM

Well, their is a difference between Hall of Famer and "superstar".

We have alot of all-time greats and hall of famers. But I might just agree with Finshady that Dan the Man is the only real Superstar (outside the world of football) that we have had.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: May 21, 2009 05:37AM

How is Dan a superstar "outside the world of football"?

If anything I would say Jason Taylor fits that description better than anyone....26 ft tall "statue" in London, fame from network television, calender spread, future acting career....

Boy, things are really boring when we are debating what a superstar is. lol.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: May 21, 2009 06:03AM

Finshady Wrote:
> My point about superstar, and not throwing that
> word around. This storied franchise has only had
> one legitimate superstar. That is one Dan Marino
> no one else comes close for Pat White to be a
> superstar at the Qb position or any other position
> then he would have to be as good as the greatest
> dolphin of all time very highly unlikely folks.
> Lets stay grounded in realism here.

Csonka, Griese, Warfield. Scott, Anderson, Nick, Don Shula.
You must be two young to remember. You need to get real here.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 21, 2009 07:05AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> Finshady Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My point about superstar, and not throwing that
> > word around. This storied franchise has only
> had
> > one legitimate superstar. That is one Dan
> Marino
> > no one else comes close for Pat White to be a
> > superstar at the Qb position or any other
> position
> > then he would have to be as good as the
> greatest
> > dolphin of all time very highly unlikely folks.
>
> > Lets stay grounded in realism here.
>
> Csonka, Griese, Warfield. Scott, Anderson, Nick,
> Don Shula.
> You must be two young to remember. You need to get
> real here.

Langer, Stephensen (have to include the HoFers!!), Duhe, Zach

Heck, if you judge by one season, Ricky Williams is one as well.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.