Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          It's not like we didn't see this coming.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
It's not like we didn't see this coming.
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: November 12, 2018 06:30AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It's not like we didn't see this coming.
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: November 12, 2018 07:18AM

I'm beginning to think you might be right about the housecleaning, but I don't think that the breakdowns in the run defense were particularly on the D-line - the linebackers cannot get off blocks and fill their assigned holes. The two rookie LBs were nowhere to be seen most of the day, and Alonso can't do it alone. McMillen shows flashes, and Baker shows fast but small flashes, but neither is showing anything more.

Rick

Date: November 12, 2018 07:26AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm beginning to think you might be right about
> the housecleaning, but I don't think that the
> breakdowns in the run defense were particularly on
> the D-line - the linebackers cannot get off blocks
> and fill their assigned holes. The two rookie LBs
> were nowhere to be seen most of the day, and
> Alonso can't do it alone. McMillen shows flashes,
> and Baker shows fast but small flashes, but
> neither is showing anything more.

I agree about the linebackers. Everyone who said that McMillan was going to be the panacea for everything that was wrong with the defense last year were kidding themselves. The reason I think Gase needs to go is because Tannenbaum and Grier definitely need to go. A new GM is going to want to hire his own head coach. Giving Tannenbaum another year to dilute this roster is crazy. Cut your losses and start over.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 12, 2018 10:25AM

I think there's talent on this team. We just have a JV coaching staff developing them.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 12, 2018 11:09AM

Part of the reason our LBers can't get off blocks is that the opponents O-Line is getting to the second level. A problem we've had since week four. The big reason we can't compete anymore is injuries...We have the most in the league and they are killing us. There really is nothing the coaches can do about it.

Date: November 12, 2018 11:37AM

Lots of talent. The injuries are just unreal.
Going to be an interesting off season.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 13, 2018 04:53AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Lots of talent. The injuries are just unreal.
> Going to be an interesting off season.

Respectfully, I don't see it. What I see on offense, are some solid players surrounded by below average ones. Offensively, when they are completely healthy, who would a defensive coordinator worry about. I'll admit that Wilson is better than I thought he'd be. Amendola is exactly what I thought. Tough possession receiver who's good for 50 or so catches per year but is getting a bit long of tooth. Stills is good but hardly great.The offensive line is a mess. Sitton is good. Tunsil might be good. The rest should be replaced. I see a roster that when healthy is average at best.

The defense is even worse. Among the players that I would say are potential pro bowl caliber in the future: Fitzpatrick and maybe (as the season goes on, I'm becoming more skeptical of it) Xavian Howard. The remainder of this defense stinks. The defensive line has one player worth anything--Vincent Taylor. Godchaux is okay but will never be an elite talent. Linebackers are simply terrible. McMillan has been a huge disappointment (at least to me). Baker is fast but undersized which makes him a liability against the run. Alonso is overrated in my opinion. Lots of tackles but a lot of them are 6 to 10 yards from the LOS. He still can't cover anyone.

The talent level of this team, when healthy, is just good enough to keep them at a game above or below .500. That means playoffs will only occasionally happen and will typically be a one and done. It also means that we won't get the high draft pick because we hover around .500. It's the NFL version of purgatory. Mediocre but just good enough to not get better. If we're all being honest, that's been this team for a long time. I see nothing that's happening with the current administration that makes me believe anything will change. In my mind, it's time to make drastic and meaningful changes. The enemy of great is good. That's particularly true of this franchise. Just good enough to never get better.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: November 13, 2018 03:10PM

Date: November 15, 2018 04:49AM

808phan Wrote:
> Article with video of McMillan, Alonso, and T.J.
> McDonald stinking it up. Can't win with this kind
> of performance....
>
> Article

I read that article and you're right. There's no way to win when your linebackers are taking bad angles, missing tackles, and can't fight through blocks. Also, the reality is that the whole injury excuse is just phony. Other teams draft well enough and fill enough needs through free agency to handle injuries when they occur. Pittsburgh is a great example. Their all world running back decides to sit out the season. Remember that Bell was both running back and a major part of the receiving for their offense. They had drafted James Connor who has Steeler fans saying, who exactly was Le'Veon Bell again? Great teams draft well, create depth that can weather the storm of injuries. How many of all the injuries that Miami's had this year, been replaced by a player the team's drafted? We have discarded players like Larsen, Sterup, and Young being plugged in. It's never going to get any better while we have the same people who created this mess in charge.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: November 15, 2018 05:48AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 15, 2018 10:36AM

I'm all in for Ross selling the team.

Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: November 16, 2018 01:29AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I'm all in for Ross selling the team.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.