HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          They are who we thought they were...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
They are who we thought they were...
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 22, 2018 05:16AM

Denny Green (God rest his soul) said it best. These Dolphins are exactly who I thought they were. They're have been some surprises along the way. Osweiler has shown (albeit in only 2 games) that he is at least as good as Tannehill but not good enough to carry a team on his back. But the defense is showing what happens when you release your best DT and replace him with a journeyman player who is clearly not starting caliber. Vincent Taylor has proven to be a good player. Godchaux looks like a mid-round draft pick-- good enough to be a rotational player but no where near good enough to be a starter. There were those who used McMillan's injury last year as one excuse for the problems on defense. So far, he's been underwhelming. Baker is too small to be a run stopper. Alonso has played better than I expected but he still can't cover anyone and a lot of his tackles are happening 7 and 8 yards down the field. The numbers look good, but on closer inspection, not so much. Quinn was a wasted 4th round pick. Tannenbaum magic at work again. Charles Harris a bust. Thank you Grier magic. Devante Parker is a bust. Thanks once again Grier. On the bright side, we got to see competent guard play for 1 game this year because it sure isn't happening with Larsen or Davis who have to be the NFL's equivalent of Laurel and Hardy. It's almost as if Tannenbaum was looking for the worst offensive line depth he could find. If so, mission accomplished Tannenbum. Well done. I expected to see Ross in his luxury box with a fiddle playing away while the Dolphins burned. We fans are mostly screwed because the owner of this team is CLUELESS! I don't see this team winning more than 3 or 4 more games this year. They'd better hope that Buffalo continues to stink because the jets look like they're going to be favorites coming to Miami. The Colts game is probably a pickem game. The rest of the schedule, are likely losses. I could look forward to the draft next year but Grier will probably be making the picks again. First round pick a punter from Bowling Green? Hell, we'd get more use of that than we have Harris or Parker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: They are who we thought they were...
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 22, 2018 05:54AM

Fins72 you're are just as ticked off and frustrated as I am over the continual lackluster performance of this team. It goes from week-to-week, season to season, with little hope of improvement because of feeble ownership, inept upper management, lousy coaching and questionable draft and free agent picks.

There is some talent on the team and from time to time things come together. Like a blind squirrel finding a nut. Yet, it never carries over to the next game.

There was a time when coming to play Miami was a real "buster." Now it seems, the home team is simply fodder for the visiting team. Home field advantage no longer exists.

The Dolphins face the Texans Thursday night. Players are injured and our bench strength (roster depth) is seriously lacking. The Texans are on a winning streak and will no doubt add the Dolphins to the win column. We have little going to beat them.

There is no immediate answers to turn things around. It falls once again to what is done off season and Ross isn't likely to sell the team or miraculously get smart with executive hires. Maybe it's time to switch allegiance to a team on the rise...e.g. the KC Chiefs.

Date: October 22, 2018 06:22AM

Our defense has really impressed me at times. Legendary stops on opposing teams at the 1 yd line. Fantastic takeaways , then the next week those same players are missing tackles high schoolers could make.

Why are they up to it one week and not the next? What changes to create such inconsistency?

Offense it injuries up front and yes of course to Tannehill.…..Hey at least his knee seems OK right? eye rolling smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 22, 2018 06:31AM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fins72 you're are just as ticked off and
> frustrated as I am over the continual lackluster
> performance of this team. It goes from
> week-to-week, season to season, with little hope
> of improvement because of feeble ownership, inept
> upper management, lousy coaching and questionable
> draft and free agent picks.
>
> There is some talent on the team and from time to
> time things come together. Like a blind squirrel
> finding a nut. Yet, it never carries over to the
> next game.
>
> There was a time when coming to play Miami was a
> real "buster." Now it seems, the home team is
> simply fodder for the visiting team. Home field
> advantage no longer exists.
>
> The Dolphins face the Texans Thursday night.
> Players are injured and our bench strength (roster
> depth) is seriously lacking. The Texans are on a
> winning streak and will no doubt add the Dolphins
> to the win column. We have little going to beat
> them.
>
> There is no immediate answers to turn things
> around. It falls once again to what is done off
> season and Ross isn't likely to sell the team or
> miraculously get smart with executive hires.
> Maybe it's time to switch allegiance to a team on
> the rise...e.g. the KC Chiefs.

Can't do it Colonel... I've been a Dolphins fan since I was a kid. I literally have no interest in any other team. I'd be faking it and it wouldn't be fun to pretend to care about another team. I'm stuck hoping that Ross sells the team or puts it in the hands of someone with at least some scintilla of brain function. In its current format, the franchise has no chance of success other than the occasional aberrant win. I hate being right about this team but I knew going in that we wouldn't be able to stop the run. I knew our linebackers were terrible. I knew Parker would be useless. I'll admit, that some players have been a pleasant surprise. Vincent Taylor is better than I expected. O'Leary was a good pickup. Even Swanson has been better than I thought. But the guards are among the worst in the league. Think about this, Larsen is currently rated as the 55th guard while Davis is #62. There are 64 starting guards in the NFL. Do we wonder why running up the middle over and over again doesn't work? I'm stuck being a fan because although I hate the current people in charge of this team, I love the team and always will. The Miami Dolphins to me are Bob Griese, Dan Marino, Don Shula, Larry Csonka, Bill Arnsparger, Joe Robbie... etc. The only thing that this current group has in common with the real Miami Dolphins is their paychecks' origin. I'll always bleed aqua and orange.

Date: October 22, 2018 06:37AM

I'm a pretty big Steelers fan. I root for them except when playing Miami. As a kid growing up in NYC I just knew I didn't like the stinking Jets. I loved Terry Bradshaw and the black and Gold. But I also liked Miami. Then in 83.....well #13 changed me. I am a Dolphins fan.

We lost on Sunday for this reason. Twice we had them backed up 1-25 , and then 3rd and 25. 1 pass and they had first downs. I saw blown zone coverages , Alonso was screaming at them , and no one was listening. That game was winnable on offense.

I've seen our defense make incredible plays this season. And then revert back to the worst passing defense in the NFL with little to no injuries. WTF?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 22, 2018 06:45AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> I'm a pretty big Steelers fan. I root for them
> except when playing Miami. As a kid growing up in
> NYC I just knew I didn't like the stinking Jets. I
> loved Terry Bradshaw and the black and Gold. But I
> also liked Miami. Then in 83.....well #13 changed
> me. I am a Dolphins fan.
>
> We lost on Sunday for this reason. Twice we had
> them backed up 1-25 , and then 3rd and 25. 1 pass
> and they had first downs. I saw blown zone
> coverages , Alonso was screaming at them , and no
> one was listening. That game was winnable on
> offense.
>
> I've seen our defense make incredible plays this
> season. And then revert back to the worst passing
> defense in the NFL with little to no injuries.
> WTF?

Treasure, let's be honest... Burke isn't a defensive coordinator. He was barely a linebackers coach. I have no doubt that a competent coordinator would get more out of the players but we still have a dearth of talent on defense. We likely need 3 new starters at linebacker, one at corner, 2 at DE and at least one at DT. That said, you're right that this defense plays confused and looks extremely poorly coached.

Date: October 22, 2018 07:28AM

I'm not going to change allegiances. I've been a fan since the beginning and became a rabid fan when Shula arrived. I'm just terribly frustrated at the big hole we're in. Ugh!

Date: October 22, 2018 07:38AM

colonel Wrote:
> I'm not going to change allegiances. I've been a
> fan since the beginning and became a rabid fan
> when Shula arrived. I'm just terribly frustrated
> at the big hole we're in. Ugh!

I'm with you Colonel. Here's to someone with twice the wealth of Ross and twice the smarts, buying the team and finding a modern day Jimmy Johnson to rebuild the team. Well, I can dream can't I?

Date: October 22, 2018 09:06AM

Jimmy Johnson. SIGH. He was on the way when he lost all desire to coach. I like that you use Jimmy aa a model, he was more cap savvy..... I loved JJ and our late 90s defense. 54, 99.... im a defensive minded fan. I love killer defense. Takeaways, hits. We have a decent defense. Much better then was shown Sunday.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 22, 2018 10:25AM

Date: October 22, 2018 11:01AM

colonel Wrote:
> If we as fans try to step into the shoes of Ross,
> Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase, maybe we'd have a
> different take or better understanding on what is
> happening with the Dolphins. Maybe they really are
> doing their very best to build a team that can win
> the SB.
>
> I will be creative here, so bear with me. Starting
> with Ross.
>
> Ross thinks, I've made a lot of money, I'm getting
> up in years, never was a sports guy but loved
> sports because it was cool. I watched Steinbrenner
> and saw what he did with the Yanks--hey I could do
> that, why not. So, with this in the back of his
> head, he works a deal to buy the storied Dolphins.
> They had great success as a franchise, and I can
> continue that with my money and business sense he
> thinks. I'll hire the best football execs and make
> it happen.
>
> Tannenbaum knows he was a bust with the Jets and
> is grateful to land another prominent role with
> another NFL franchise. He is thrilled Ross gives
> him a second chance and is hopeful he has learned
> from his bad decisions and can make something
> happen to make the Dolphins a winner again. It
> would be a feather in his cap and he loves the
> possibility. I can do much better he thinks.
>
> Grier isn't the brilliant mind he thinks he is but
> continues to have hope that he really could be
> under the right circumstances. Please Mr Ross, I
> can do it, just watch and see.
>
> Ross thinks, I need some really new blood to turn
> things around. So I'll do what Joe Robbie did with
> the hiring of Shula. He believes Gase has the
> makings of greatness and hires him when no
> experienced HC wants the HC job. Ross is sincere
> about his hire.
>
> Gase is overwhelmed to be considered to be a HC.
> Though unsure of his abilities to do such a big
> job, he says yes to Ross. His inexperience working
> with every aspect of the team is overwhelming and
> he soon realizes that the only thing he feels
> comfortable doing is play calling. Because of
> that belief, he can't delegate that job to some
> one else, some one who may be smarter and more
> intuitive then he is. He is struggling but wants
> to win. He just can't achieve overall because he
> is lacking in so many departments.
>
> ------
> The problem is simple and raw. None of them are
> talented enough to execute their own positions.
> They are not incompetent just not capable enough.
>
> I'll put it another way. How many of us out there
> are capable of running a 4 minute mile? How many
> of us know that no matter what, training, diet,
> more training, a 4 minute mile is not within
> reach. The difference is most of us know our
> limitations. In the case of Ross, Tannenbaum,
> Grier and Gase...none of them want to admit or
> acknowledge the reality that none of them can
> reach the goal because they just don't have it.
> Remember the movie, "The Right Stuff." No matter
> how hard these men work problems, think things
> out, none of them have the "right stuff" to make
> this franchise a winner again.
>
> So, picking the best talent is something they
> really want to do but simply can't. They just
> aren't good enough at what they do.
>
> Our criticism is harsh and deserving. Major
> changes need to be made from top to bottom. Ross
> isn't the most capable owner and his hirings fall
> way short. I'll be kind and state, Ross should do
> something else other than own the Dolphins.
> Tannenbaum may very well be a brilliant exec VP
> for some manufacturing plant. Grier may be great
> working for the Colts or Steelers where management
> is pretty solid. Gase should return to being a
> position coach somewhere.

Colonel,

You're a lot more diplomatic than I am. IMO, Tannenbaum has never exhibited a scintilla of talent for the job he's been entrusted with. He was an abject failure in NY. Some of his moves there bordered on completely brainless. He moved up in the draft to take Mark Sanchez... Okay.. that's bad enough. After Sanchez proved his was not a franchise QB, he signed him to an extension and paid him like he was. I won't go into all the moronic moves he's made here because we all know them only too well.

Grier is an interesting case. Some want to excuse his failures by pointing out that he's "new" to the job. He's been with the Dolphins since 2007. Yes, not as GM, but involved in the process of scouting players. He's blown half of the 1st round picks he's made so far. Devante Parker is a monumental bust and Charles Harris is right there with him. Tunsil is a work in progress but no where near the dominate LT you would expect from a first rounder. Minka Fitzpatrick will likely be a good player for us but was the wrong pick.

Gase is the quintessential example of the guy who thinks he's the smartest person in the room, with no reason to feel that way. His "success" as a coach came on the coattails of having Peyton Manning running the offensive show. His one year's stint as offensive coordinator though hailed as a great job in coaching up Cutler was really nothing more than reigning him in with a lot fewer attempts and a dink and dunk passing game. Ultimately, the Bears went 6-10 that year. I think we can all agree his play calling blows and his staff is absolutely abysmal. I still think he is threatened by experienced assistants hence the cavalcade of losers who couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper sack.

As far as Ross goes, I think he hires people based upon everything but competence and past track record. If he was more concerned with past success, we sure as hell wouldn't have Tannenbaum destroying the roster and putting the team into cap hell requiring the purging of our best talent.

The best example I can give is it's like if Apple was being run by a ten year old kid whose only experience in the past was losing money running a lemonade stand.

This franchise needs a total reset. To all those who say that you have to have continuity to be successful, I say that' only true when you have people running the show who know how to ultimately be successful. At some point, when someone shows you who they are, it's time to believe them.

Date: October 22, 2018 11:51AM

I also think a big issue is the players themselves. Not all....not even the majority. But the Dolphins seem to constantly draft players with issues. Starting with Crybaby John Martin. As recent as Landry , Ajay , Philips, Parker. These are great athletes with tons of potential that just don't have the mental toughness to play at the NFL level or like in Landrys case , just kinda selfish.

We need to draft better people. Stop with the social injustice bullshit. Do that on your own time. Play football. Eat , drink , sleep it. Zack Thomas was often found sleeping watching other teams tape well into the night. Man the F up. Make the game your passion. I just don't see enough of that here. I see it in Tannehill, I love his toughness. he never complains. Until 2016 he never missed a game. But I'm not sure he has the mental aspects of the game anymore. We need to pick guys with heart. Why did we let Hogan go again? Frank Gore is a great addition. But past his prime. That kind of player.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 22, 2018 12:04PM

fin72 he signed sanches to a multi million dollar deal when it was obvious sanches was not a franchise qb...

THe same thing happen with tannehill. Signed to a multi million dollar contract when everybody knew tannehill wasnt a franchise qb.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.