Home
THIS SITE
  About Phins.com
  Contact Us
  Staff
TEAM NEWS
  Team Info
  Twitter Feeds
  News Wire
  XML News
  Subscribe using any news reader
  News Articles
  Mobile News
  On Porpoise
GAMES
  Schedule
PERSONNEL
  Roster
  Depth Chart
  Training Camp
  Draft
FOR THE FANS
  Forums
  Places To Watch
  Dolphins Links
  Game Tickets
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute
  News Archive
  Past Games
  Transactions
  Past Rosters
SUPPORT PHINS.COM
  Dolphins Fan Shop
  Phins.com Apparel
 
-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com
 
  Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: October 03, 2018 07:29AM

Well, we could have drafted some olineman with at least one
of those picks. Gesecki has what 2 catches this year?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Date: October 03, 2018 10:56AM

Gesecki is actually a pretty good blocking TE. I agree though.....Oline depth was and still is our biggest concern.

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 08, 2018 08:16AM

Geisecki is a guy we needed on the team. Even though I would have drafted our playmaker TE the year prior. O line and D line is our two biggest areas of need. Gotta go heavy there in the off season. Fix the DT’s with guys that can collapse the pocket and run block and our current D gets night and day better. The O line simply has to stay healthy and block effectively...but mostly stay healthy. Apparently that’s a lot harder than it looks.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2018 08:17AM by Ken.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 08, 2018 11:41AM

What I don't understand is how the guy they drafted in the fourth round, Smythe gets 7 snaps and the guy they signed off the practice squad, O'Leary gets 28. Some might look upon that as yet another Grier wasted pick. Me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 08, 2018 01:56PM

Tannehill had the whole day to throw against the bengals. He gave the game away. Defense allowed just 7 points.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 08, 2018 08:20PM

Fins72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I don't understand is how the guy they
> drafted in the fourth round, Smythe gets 7 snaps
> and the guy they signed off the practice squad,
> O'Leary gets 28. Some might look upon that as yet
> another Grier wasted pick. Me.

Well, not me. Smythe is a rookie playing in his fifth game, and O'Leary has been a starter in this league. There is a reason drafts aren't seriously evaluated until the third year.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: October 09, 2018 02:54AM

We should have drafted on O-lineman instead of Smythe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 09, 2018 06:54AM

ChambersDeepBall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We should have drafted on O-lineman instead of
> Smythe


Totally agree and if not a o-lineman, at least a defensive tackle. The last thing we should've done is flush away a 4th rounder for a blocking TE which questionable receiving skills. Another Grier brain freeze moment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 09, 2018 09:09AM

Guys the rationale of drafting two TE's is that you can run two TE sets...that's the goal. Injuries have erased that however because we need all the blocking we can get right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 09, 2018 09:42AM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guys the rationale of drafting two TE's is that
> you can run two TE sets...that's the goal.
> Injuries have erased that however because we need
> all the blocking we can get right now.


Ken, that's exactly my point. I expect Grier to know that the depth on the offensive line was non-existent. Two tight ends in the first four rounds is a luxury Miami couldn't afford given all of the holes on this roster. Blocking tight ends can be found in the latter rounds of the draft or as undrafted free agents. Quality O-lineman rarely are. It's amazing to me that we don't have one backup O-lineman currently on the roster that was drafted by Grier. Every one of them was poached off of other team's scrap heaps. Asiata can't even make the frigging active roster with all of the injuries they've had.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 11, 2018 08:10AM

Cant judge gesicky yet. Its only his rookie year. Gotta give him at least 3 years to be able to judge him. Too bad he doesnt have a good qb throwing him the rock. He would blossom under a good qb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 12, 2018 04:37PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 12, 2018 04:41PM

Fins72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ChambersDeepBall Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We should have drafted on O-lineman instead of
> > Smythe
>
>
> Totally agree and if not a o-lineman, at least a
> defensive tackle. The last thing we should've done
> is flush away a 4th rounder for a blocking TE
> which questionable receiving skills. Another Grier
> brain freeze moment.

An effective blocking TE is a real help to an offensive line. Look at our running game when MarQuis Gray was in the game.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 12, 2018 04:49PM

Fins72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Guys the rationale of drafting two TE's is that
> > you can run two TE sets...that's the goal.
> > Injuries have erased that however because we
> need
> > all the blocking we can get right now.
>
>
> Ken, that's exactly my point. I expect Grier to
> know that the depth on the offensive line was
> non-existent. Two tight ends in the first four
> rounds is a luxury Miami couldn't afford given all
> of the holes on this roster. Blocking tight ends
> can be found in the latter rounds of the draft or
> as undrafted free agents. Quality O-lineman rarely
> are. It's amazing to me that we don't have one
> backup O-lineman currently on the roster that was
> drafted by Grier. Every one of them was poached
> off of other team's scrap heaps. Asiata can't even
> make the frigging active roster with all of the
> injuries they've had.

In response to this I can just restate my previous point about TE's like Symthe and MarQuise Gray, but as for Asiata, I think he could be effective under certain conditions, but the're not Gase's chosen conditions. Asiata is known as a run blocker, the "road grader" type, but he's not particularly effective as a pass blocker. I think he could help our running game, but Gase uses the run game as little as possible, so Asiata isn't exactly his type of lineman.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gesecki TE's in last year draft
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 13, 2018 07:11AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fins72 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ken Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Guys the rationale of drafting two TE's is
> that
> > > you can run two TE sets...that's the goal.
> > > Injuries have erased that however because we
> > need
> > > all the blocking we can get right now.
> >
> >
> > Ken, that's exactly my point. I expect Grier to
> > know that the depth on the offensive line was
> > non-existent. Two tight ends in the first four
> > rounds is a luxury Miami couldn't afford given
> all
> > of the holes on this roster. Blocking tight
> ends
> > can be found in the latter rounds of the draft
> or
> > as undrafted free agents. Quality O-lineman
> rarely
> > are. It's amazing to me that we don't have one
> > backup O-lineman currently on the roster that
> was
> > drafted by Grier. Every one of them was poached
> > off of other team's scrap heaps. Asiata can't
> even
> > make the frigging active roster with all of the
> > injuries they've had.
>
> In response to this I can just restate my previous
> point about TE's like Symthe and MarQuise Gray,
> but as for Asiata, I think he could be effective
> under certain conditions, but the're not Gase's
> chosen conditions. Asiata is known as a run
> blocker, the "road grader" type, but he's not
> particularly effective as a pass blocker. I think
> he could help our running game, but Gase uses the
> run game as little as possible, so Asiata isn't
> exactly his type of lineman.

Rick, you sort of make my point. Marquise Gray wasn't a draft pick. Blocking tight ends can be found in free agency. Derby, O'Leary could replace whatever Smythe provides but a promising offensive lineman or defensive tackle would be nice right about now.

Regarding Asiata, assuming you're right and he's more of a run blocker and less what Gase is looking for. That's still an indictment against Grier. You're supposed to draft for talent but also for chemistry. Why draft a lineman who doesn't fit the kind of offense that the head coach runs? Plus, even if pass blocking isn't his forte, the idea that he wouldn't be better at it than Davis or Larsen isn't exactly encouraging about Asiata's talent level or the coaches ability to develop that part of his game.

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England
TOP
   
© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.