HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Problems with Dolphins are Systemic
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Problems with Dolphins are Systemic
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 02, 2018 04:16AM

I allowed myself to be distracted by the 3-0 start but Sunday was a punch in the face reality check. The problems with this team go way beyond the superficial lack of talent on the roster.

Chris Grier isn't getting the job done in one important way. Mid-round picks should be where you get depth on your roster. Who has Grier drafted that can step in for Kilgore? Who has Grier drafted that can step in for Sitton? Why are we starting an undrafted free agent at guard who is on his third team in three years? Asiata should've been a guy who could step in and play well enough to keep the offensive line functional. A fifth round pick that hasn't shown enough to be a better option than Jessie Davis or Ted Larsen.

Mike Tannenbaum is even worse. His cap management incompetence led to the team having to get rid of some of their best talent. Remember, he's the one that negotiated the Suh contract. He's the one that chose to not extend Landry when we could've gotten his signed for a lot less than Cleveland paid him. Tannenbaum is a franchise killer and he's settled right into that role in Miami.

Gase's pigheadedness has resulted in some ridiculous personnel moves. Right now, with this weak and diluted, talent starved roster, we are wasting 4 roster stops on QBs. Gase's answer to it is to say, I know nobody likes it but I do." Well there you go. At least he was able to explain it in a logical and fact-supported way. Getting rid of Ajayi I'm totally convinced was because he got a hair up his butt over Ajayi not bowing and scraping sufficiently for his taste. I have to believe that the crappy coaching staff is on him as well. I think his ego is too big to allow coaches with experience and past successes to be on his staff. God forbid he have a "Wade Phillips or Todd Haley" on his staff. They might overshadow him.

Bottom line, this team needs to clean house at the end of the year. Yes, I know that we're still 3-1 but does anyone really think that this team is going to end up even .500? I don't and I think the reason why is described above.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems with Dolphins are Systemic
Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: October 02, 2018 04:40AM

I absolutely agree 100 percent. I have been saying the same thing over and over, however you said it more effectively. Gase is in way over his head, a simple prime example is the offensive coordinator. We dont have one but yet he is there only to have Gase call the plays. This team has more assistants and more coaches than anyother team and yet we still suck and make the same mistakes over and over and over. And the same damn problem year after year.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 02, 2018 05:31AM

Fins72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I allowed myself to be distracted by the 3-0 start
> but Sunday was a punch in the face reality check.
> The problems with this team go way beyond the
> superficial lack of talent on the roster.
>
> Chris Grier isn't getting the job done in one
> important way. Mid-round picks should be where you
> get depth on your roster. Who has Grier drafted
> that can step in for Kilgore? Who has Grier
> drafted that can step in for Sitton? Why are wel
> starting an undrafted free agent at guard who is
> on his third team in three years? Asiata should've
> been a guy who could step in and play well enough
> to keep the offensive line functional. A fifth
> round pick that hasn't shown enough to be a better
> option than Jessie Davis or Ted Larsen.
>
> Mike Tannenbaum is even worse. His cap management
> incompetence led to the team having to get rid of
> some of their best talent. Remember, he's the one
> that negotiated the Suh contract. He's the one
> that chose to not extend Landry when we could've
> gotten his signed for a lot less than Cleveland
> paid him. Tannenbaum is a franchise killer and
> he's settled right into that role in Miami.
>
RE: The Suh contract was ok because we wanted the best DT in the game and for that you have to pay. The only real problem was the clause he insisted upon where we could only renegotiate once. That is why hes no longer here. Landry is gone not because of money but because of his mouth, his antics, a need to get faster and more versarile and because of behind the scenes stuff we (the fans) dont know about.

> Gase's pigheadedness has resulted in some
> ridiculous personnel moves. Right now, with this
> weak and diluted, talent starved roster, we are
> wasting 4 roster stops on QBs. Gase's answer to it
> is to say, I know nobody likes it but I do." Well
> there you go. At least he was able to explain it
> in a logical and fact-supported way.

RE: This I can't really argue too much. I would not be carrying four QB'S. Oswieller would have been cut and we'd have Fales and Falk as backups if I was in charge. Understand most coaches don't give a crap about what us fans think, they just don't say it.

Getting rid of Ajayi I'm totally convinced was because he got
> a hair up his butt over Ajayi not bowing and
> scraping sufficiently for his taste.

RE: Ajayi is gone because of his attitude and his mouth. If Don Shula was the coach he'd have cut him for cussing out a coach. After all Shoes cut a guy once for simply being a couple minutes late to practice.

I have to
> believe that the crappy coaching staff is on him
> as well. I think his ego is too big to allow
> coaches with experience and past successes to be
> on his staff. God forbid he have a "Wade Phillips
> or Todd Haley" on his staff. They might overshadow
> him.

RE: Maybe.
>
> Bottom line, this team needs to clean house at the
> end of the year. Yes, I know that we're still 3-1
> but does anyone really think that this team is
> going to end up even .500? I don't and I think the
> reason why is described above.

RE: Disagree, we have to add more talent and more depth. We also need to get lucky with injuries for once this century. Coaches can only do so much. The players have to get it done once the game starts. Our biggest problem is stopping the penalties. In the game Sunday, I counted at least 10 holding, or pass interference penalties the Pats committed that were not called. At least five of those penalties if called would have continued drives by us or would have gotten our defense off of the field...Coaches can't do squat about those.

The biggest issue with Gase is his conservative play calls, He needs to be aggressive and I dont mean 40 yard passes, from the first snap of the game.

Date: October 02, 2018 05:49AM

On a lighter note, we just auditioned five centers and three defensive tackles...no word on who they were, nor any signings, offers or promotions from within.

Date: October 02, 2018 06:42AM

Date: October 02, 2018 08:25AM

We added talent, and quite a bit of it...to say otherwise is just not seeing the truth. We are a much more talented team then we were when Gase got here.

Star player or not it sets the tone. Ajayi was a distraction with a bad attitude and often a liability.

Our big problem right now is our run blocking. Our offense has to be able to effectively block and run the ball or our offense just dosent work.

Jamming our WR's effectively disrupts the entire passing game. Then as we saw in NE, over under and in out coverage combined with the disruption at the snap ensures that no one gets open.

If we can run the ball that takes away the ease of stopping the passing game.

I'm not saying coaches and GMs should get a pass because of injuries but we the fans scream bloody murder when we take OL players because they don't make plays. Facts are we should be drafting at least one every single draft.

We just have to do a better job...top to bottom, each man.

Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: October 02, 2018 09:29AM

I agree to a certain point, yes we need much better run blocking, but isnt it about this same thing year after year? hell we had the highest paid line for years and we still dont get any players. The dl for along time was mediocre now its horrible, we finally get a good TE and we dont throw him the ball? cmon, we are throwing 9ft passes, its the same 5 running plays, draw up the middle, power to the right power to the left and a delay draw. This is a team better suited for arena football than the NFL. so the story goes, we cant tackle because we need linebackers and DL, we cant run because our line cant block, tranny cant throw because the WR get jammed. So its been for 10yrs why do you not get players that can do there jobs effectively? that is coaching and management. If you have no legs why do you get picked to run the relay? this is the morons we have running this team year in and year out. Maybe they get it together this year and come together and figure it out, time will tell but i still will be cheering but I hope we atleast show up and will be competitive instead of the dog shit that showed up against the patsies. I still cant believe gase said he didnt expect them to be so physical just shaking my head on that one.

Date: October 02, 2018 10:07AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 02, 2018 11:01AM

We are going to have these problems as long as Ross owns the team. In Robbe, we had an owner who was into the sport. Ross is only interested in the celebrity status that comes from owning the team.

Date: October 02, 2018 11:41AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> We are going to have these problems as long as
> Ross owns the team. In Robbe, we had an owner who
> was into the sport. Ross is only interested in
> the celebrity status that comes from owning the
> team.

All the more reason for him to hire a competent GM and then let him do his job with no interference. The problem is that Ross' hires stink. There were so many possible candidates that he could've hired and the best he could do was Tannenbaum-- who was ridden out of NY on a rail? Honestly, I think that virtually all the posters on this board would be better suited to make these type decisions than Ross.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 04, 2018 06:34PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> We are going to have these problems as long as
> Ross owns the team. In Robbe, we had an owner who
> was into the sport. Ross is only interested in
> the celebrity status that comes from owning the
> team.

This statement shows you have no idea what kind of owner Joe Robbie really was. The Dolphins won in spite of him, not because of him.

Rick

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 04, 2018 06:36PM

Fins72 Wrote:
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We are going to have these problems as long as
> > Ross owns the team. In Robbe, we had an owner
> who
> > was into the sport. Ross is only interested in
> > the celebrity status that comes from owning the
> > team.
>
> All the more reason for him to hire a competent GM
> and then let him do his job with no interference.
> The problem is that Ross' hires stink. There were
> so many possible candidates that he could've hired
> and the best he could do was Tannenbaum-- who was
> ridden out of NY on a rail? Honestly, I think that
> virtually all the posters on this board would be
> better suited to make these type decisions than
> Ross.

I don't think so. In fact, the very idea makes me shudder.

Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.